Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Transmission Issues, Stuttering, and Bogging for 5k miles

15K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  RedVN 
#1 ·
It's a shame my first post is about problems or perceived problems with my Veloster N with Performance Pack. Below is a short breakdown of the issues. Below that is a lengthy description of each.

Breakdown of my "perceived" problems:
  1. Stuttering or Rough Startup
  2. Bogging or Stuttering when accelerating slightly at 1.5-3k rpm
  3. Bucking or jolting when letting off gas at low speeds after a cold start
  4. Rough Idle, High Idle, Low Idle and misfiring audible "popping" exhaust during idle
  5. "Bearing" or ambient noise when clutch pedal is not pressed and car is in neutral. Sound goes away when clutch is pressed
  6. Grindy, uncooperating shifter at low speeds from 1-2 gear and clutch chattering while turning and pressing the clutch pedal (confirmed with other N owners)

I've had the stuttering or almost non-starting startups of the car since I received it. I've driven over 5k miles now, and it happens infrequently - I recommend you record your startups, as silly as that sounds. The other day, it was around 90 or so degrees, and I thought either my battery was dead or something else was up with the car, since it gave me a good 5+ seconds of "starting up" and turning over during that cold start

Additionally, I've had what seems to be stuttering or bogging when I begin to get on the throttle a bit on the heavier side but not quite full throttle. It seems to bog around 1.5k-3k RPM where there's a physical "shudder". I do have an intake that I have put on maybe 100-200 miles ago, and I can audibly hear the intake noise change and "pause".

Like some members have mentioned, I've felt that same extreme bucking when driving slowly around at maybe 15 miles an hour. It would occur when I would let off the (light) throttle. Even the most gentle push of the throttle and let off resulted in an extreme jolt, almost as if I stomped the brakes or downshifted without rev-matching. This has only happened two separate times: once around 50F after a cold start and another time around 75F outside.

One of the most concerning issues to me is the seemingly rough idle while in Normal mode. In fact, the car is LESS rough when during a cold start, until it's warm. Once the engine warms up, the RPMs drop and the car feels harsh as it idles. It feels as if there's a problem with the timing or idle air sensor or event a motor mount (I've got a 14 year old neon SRT4 that idles better, and it's got a faulty idle air control sensor). When I put the car into "N" mode or my N custom mode with Sport++ on the engine setting, the RPMs shoot up to 850-900 and stay there. It sounds as if the throttle is depressed and as if I'm actively giving it gas when I'm not. Despite it idling at 850-900, it does not sound like an idle and sounds more like someone is toeing the throttle at a steady position.

When I came home and parked idling today, the car was idling high as usual in N mode (which could be normal). I set it into "Normal", and the RPM dipped even lower than what it usually sits at in "Normal" mode. It was almost as if the car was about to stall, and it feels like you're letting the clutch out without any throttle intermittently but slightly. I managed to record the exhaust sound as I idled, and while idling, the car "missed" and made a loud "POP" or "crack" sound, that we are all used to hearing while shifting. Unfortunately, the recording muffles the sound as a still-noticeable "puff", but it is apparent. Oil temp was normal. I'll post a video soon.

Finally, while stationary and in neutral, if the clutch pedal is not pressed in, there's an ambient humming noise coming from the engine area and footwell. Upon pressing the clutch pedal, the humming goes away fairly quickly but not instantaneously. Similarly, if you are in neutral with the clutch out, if you clutch in quickly while almost putting it into first gear, you can hear the transmission catch and the noise disappears once the shifter is about to slot into gear.

I've had a grinding/unhappy 1st-2nd gear shift while turning, and pushing the clutch in while turning at low speeds makes an audible chatter sound. This has existed since I've had the car. I've talked to multiple N owners who have had this in different states and on both East and West coast.

I'm seeing the dealer this week about my first service and door latch recall, but I will bring up some of these issues. I'm concerned that because there are so many perceived problems, I'll be ignored, or these issues will be disregarded as "it's a new car, it's breaking in", which is what has delayed me in getting this checked out until now.

At the very least, I hope this post provides some validation for those with similar issues, as it has been fairly cathartic writing it.

In any case, we're all in this together, right?

See less See more
#38 · (Edited)
Something to look at; Leak down of the FI primarily. Pull the spark plugs one at a time and look to see if any are wet. If one or more is wet then the FI is leaking down and needs to be replaced. Not a big issue and a likely cause.

Bad fuel or water can cause it but not usually.
@Great_White_N; They have to use the tow hook and a flatbed, no chains. They scratched the lower fascia on mine when it was brand new by utilizing a standard tow truck and chains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.