Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a shame my first post is about problems or perceived problems with my Veloster N with Performance Pack. Below is a short breakdown of the issues. Below that is a lengthy description of each.

Breakdown of my "perceived" problems:
  1. Stuttering or Rough Startup
  2. Bogging or Stuttering when accelerating slightly at 1.5-3k rpm
  3. Bucking or jolting when letting off gas at low speeds after a cold start
  4. Rough Idle, High Idle, Low Idle and misfiring audible "popping" exhaust during idle
  5. "Bearing" or ambient noise when clutch pedal is not pressed and car is in neutral. Sound goes away when clutch is pressed
  6. Grindy, uncooperating shifter at low speeds from 1-2 gear and clutch chattering while turning and pressing the clutch pedal (confirmed with other N owners)
I've had the stuttering or almost non-starting startups of the car since I received it. I've driven over 5k miles now, and it happens infrequently - I recommend you record your startups, as silly as that sounds. The other day, it was around 90 or so degrees, and I thought either my battery was dead or something else was up with the car, since it gave me a good 5+ seconds of "starting up" and turning over during that cold start

Additionally, I've had what seems to be stuttering or bogging when I begin to get on the throttle a bit on the heavier side but not quite full throttle. It seems to bog around 1.5k-3k RPM where there's a physical "shudder". I do have an intake that I have put on maybe 100-200 miles ago, and I can audibly hear the intake noise change and "pause".

Like some members have mentioned, I've felt that same extreme bucking when driving slowly around at maybe 15 miles an hour. It would occur when I would let off the (light) throttle. Even the most gentle push of the throttle and let off resulted in an extreme jolt, almost as if I stomped the brakes or downshifted without rev-matching. This has only happened two separate times: once around 50F after a cold start and another time around 75F outside.

One of the most concerning issues to me is the seemingly rough idle while in Normal mode. In fact, the car is LESS rough when during a cold start, until it's warm. Once the engine warms up, the RPMs drop and the car feels harsh as it idles. It feels as if there's a problem with the timing or idle air sensor or event a motor mount (I've got a 14 year old neon SRT4 that idles better, and it's got a faulty idle air control sensor). When I put the car into "N" mode or my N custom mode with Sport++ on the engine setting, the RPMs shoot up to 850-900 and stay there. It sounds as if the throttle is depressed and as if I'm actively giving it gas when I'm not. Despite it idling at 850-900, it does not sound like an idle and sounds more like someone is toeing the throttle at a steady position.

When I came home and parked idling today, the car was idling high as usual in N mode (which could be normal). I set it into "Normal", and the RPM dipped even lower than what it usually sits at in "Normal" mode. It was almost as if the car was about to stall, and it feels like you're letting the clutch out without any throttle intermittently but slightly. I managed to record the exhaust sound as I idled, and while idling, the car "missed" and made a loud "POP" or "crack" sound, that we are all used to hearing while shifting. Unfortunately, the recording muffles the sound as a still-noticeable "puff", but it is apparent. Oil temp was normal. I'll post a video soon.

Finally, while stationary and in neutral, if the clutch pedal is not pressed in, there's an ambient humming noise coming from the engine area and footwell. Upon pressing the clutch pedal, the humming goes away fairly quickly but not instantaneously. Similarly, if you are in neutral with the clutch out, if you clutch in quickly while almost putting it into first gear, you can hear the transmission catch and the noise disappears once the shifter is about to slot into gear.

I've had a grinding/unhappy 1st-2nd gear shift while turning, and pushing the clutch in while turning at low speeds makes an audible chatter sound. This has existed since I've had the car. I've talked to multiple N owners who have had this in different states and on both East and West coast.

I'm seeing the dealer this week about my first service and door latch recall, but I will bring up some of these issues. I'm concerned that because there are so many perceived problems, I'll be ignored, or these issues will be disregarded as "it's a new car, it's breaking in", which is what has delayed me in getting this checked out until now.

At the very least, I hope this post provides some validation for those with similar issues, as it has been fairly cathartic writing it.

In any case, we're all in this together, right?

·
Registered
310 Posts
1-4 could all be related, plugs maybe? 5 might be normal, release bearing? 6 might be the lsd and normal. As far as the extreme jolt like someone hit the brakes, does it happen if you have rev match off?

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
1-4 could be plugs are a bad coil pack or packs. #5 is absolutely normal. All standards do this but vary between makes and models. Never experienced #6.

In eco mode the rpm is naturally lower to save gas. Should be around 800 or so. In N mode it will be almost 1000. This is to launch the car easier from a stop since you are in a performance mode. This IS totally normal. The grinding in 1st or 2nd could be a bad synchro. Used to happen in the old 80's early 90's 5.0 Mustangs all the time. Take a look at this: https://www.velostern.com/forum/297-hyundai-veloster-n-issues-problems-complaints/247-possible-misfire-issue.html

This may alleviate some worries. Hope this helped you.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Problems for 5k miles now and no trips to the dealer? Be curios to hear what they say. What effect did the intake give you, any performance increase?

·
Registered
42 Posts
@ 4500 miles now and have the same issue with cold starts and lunging @2k rpm (27mph) while leaving the neighborhood in the mornings. After a mile everything calms down and is good. I read somewhere this may be a fuel pump issue. taking it in on tuesday. I'll try to update.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have no such problems.

If you aren't used to the N-Mode and not driving it smoothly, the VN will jerk you around quite a lot, especially on rough roads. It's do to the tighter suspension, throttle, ELSD and clutch settings. The more bumps you hit, the more your foot will poke the throttle and cause more jerkiness. You have to drive the VN hard or smooth in N-Mode.

There are no fuel pump issues. However, if the VN has been running a steady diet of cheap 87 or 89 octane fuel, you're probably looking at injector/s clogging up. The VN needs to be accelerated hard up to speed limits regularly or whatever you care to do personally. It's a GDI and with all GDI's, they carbon up. Put nothing else in the tank but the highest grade premium, top tier fuel, you can find. Also, run some Chevron Techron Total Fuel System Cleaner, thru the tank for a couple of tanks and then every 3K miles.

If it's not an injector/s clogging, it will be either be a failing coil pack or spark plug, carbon fouling issue.

Have you changed spark plugs to a different heat range or pulled the and checked the electrodes and gaps? I doubt it but I have to ask. This is not a snide comment, just an inquiry.

Lets see, you've got some issues possibly perceived or real and haven't taken it to the dealer in 5K??? Why?

Have you had the oil changed or are you still running on the same breakin Synthetic Blend? If not, I'd be taking it to your dealer rather quickly. 3K is the first service. Are you running a tuner or aftermarket intake? If you are running a tuner or an aftermarket intake, which ones? Did you reinstall all the vacuum lines correctly?

Sometimes, clutch throwout bearing, will make a little noise.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have no such problems.

If you aren't used to the N-Mode and not driving it smoothly, the VN will jerk you around quite a lot, especially on rough roads. It's do to the tighter suspension, throttle, ELSD and clutch settings. The more bumps you hit, the more your foot will poke the throttle and cause more jerkiness. You have to drive the VN hard or smooth in N-Mode.

There are no fuel pump issues. However, if the VN has been running a steady diet of cheap 87 or 89 octane fuel, you're probably looking at injector/s clogging up. The VN needs to be accelerated hard up to speed limits regularly or whatever you care to do personally. It's a GDI and with all GDI's, they carbon up. Put nothing else in the tank but the highest grade premium, top tier fuel, you can find. Also, run some Chevron Techron Total Fuel System Cleaner, thru the tank for a couple of tanks and then every 3K miles.

If it's not an injector/s clogging, it will be either be a failing coil pack or spark plug, carbon fouling issue.

Have you changed spark plugs to a different heat range or pulled the and checked the electrodes and gaps? I doubt it but I have to ask. This is not a snide comment, just an inquiry.

Lets see, you've got some issues possibly perceived or real and haven't taken it to the dealer in 5K??? Why?

Have you had the oil changed or are you still running on the same breakin Synthetic Blend? If not, I'd be taking it to your dealer rather quickly. 3K is the first service. Are you running a tuner or aftermarket intake? If you are running a tuner or an aftermarket intake, which ones? Did you reinstall all the vacuum lines correctly?

Sometimes, clutch throwout bearing, will make a little noise.
So the noise you can hear when idling in neutral and then goes away after pressing the clutch is normal. Cause I heard this for the first time today. And I'm having trouble shifting from first to second and second to third. Almost like a clicking noise from outside the vehicle if I have the windows down when I shift those gears. Every gear seems a lil hard. But those are the worst. 2nd and 3rd

·
Registered
306 Posts
So the noise you can hear when idling in neutral and then goes away after pressing the clutch is normal. Cause I heard this for the first time today. And I'm having trouble shifting from first to second and second to third. Almost like a clicking noise from outside the vehicle if I have the windows down when I shift those gears. Every gear seems a lil hard. But those are the worst. 2nd and 3rd
That specifically doesnt sound normal, sounds like more gear linkage/synchro issues. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out under warranty

·
Registered
159 Posts
That specifically doesnt sound normal, sounds like more gear linkage/synchro issues. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out under warranty
Yea I'm at 800 miles. I was gonna wait till 3000 at the first oil change and tell them about it . The dealer is an hour away from me. The noise is barely audible. But I got eagle ears. Hahaha. And if I shift extra slowly it shifts fine. Just trying to shift faster it gives problems. Like it has to click into place. Idk. Just feels weird to me. I have been reading about the i30 synchro problems

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yea I'm at 800 miles. I was gonna wait till 3000 at the first oil change and tell them about it . The dealer is an hour away from me. The noise is barely audible. But I got eagle ears. Hahaha. And if I shift extra slowly it shifts fine. Just trying to shift faster it gives problems. Like it has to click into place. Idk. Just feels weird to me. I have been reading about the i30 synchro problems
Its good to at least mention it to them from now to have it documented because they might try to blame you for it eventually lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Following.
I’m having similar issues with it not always wanting to go into gear in lower gears. Interested in seeing what is causing it for you

Reactions: Perfomance blue vn

·
Registered
159 Posts
Been 8 days since I've had a long hard start up. Knock on wood. But I've used sunoco 93 gas the last two time I filled up. Only got down to a half tank before i filled up. So i wonder if they put regular gas in it at the dealer and it just dont like it. Idk enuff about cars to say. Just my guess

·
Registered
159 Posts
Been 8 days since I've had a long hard start up. Knock on wood. But I've used sunoco 93 gas the last two time I filled up. Only got down to a half tank before i filled up. So i wonder if they put regular gas in it at the dealer and it just dont like it. Idk enuff about cars to say. Just my guess
Well made it 10 days without a hard start. Then did it real bad yesterday. But couldnt get an appt at dealer ship till 2 weeks from today. Will update about clutch or synchro or linkage problem. Whichever it is

·
Registered
159 Posts
Following.
I’m having similar issues with it not always wanting to go into gear in lower gears. Interested in seeing what is causing it for you
I went to dealer today but have to go back wed and let them look at it again. They have to replace and paint the front splitter where they scraped it loading it on truck. Anyway I mentioned the clutch and showed him how it does sitting in neutral. He said hed call a field rep and see what they knew about it. Just curious when you're in neutral do you hear the noise that stops when you press the clutch in? And also if you like immediately try to shift to gear from neutral sitting still can you feel it kind of want to pull the car. Just curious if it is same as mine? Cause if I wait till noise stops it shifts smooth as silk. But if I try to fast it wants to do that wierd ****

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went to dealer today but have to go back wed and let them look at it again. They have to replace and paint the front splitter where they scraped it loading it on truck. Anyway I mentioned the clutch and showed him how it does sitting in neutral. He said hed call a field rep and see what they knew about it. Just curious when you're in neutral do you hear the noise that stops when you press the clutch in? And also if you like immediately try to shift to gear from neutral sitting still can you feel it kind of want to pull the car. Just curious if it is same as mine? Cause if I wait till noise stops it shifts smooth as silk. But if I try to fast it wants to do that wierd ****
I’ll have to get in and see today but I don’t think im having anything like that happen

·
Registered
159 Posts
If it's not super quite I cant hear it in mine. I'm about to take it to the dealer and drop it off. They doing the front repair also. I hate leaving it there. Hhahaha

·
Registered
159 Posts
Figured out my hard starting problem I think. It was doing it cold starts hot starts warm starts. You could turn it off and immediately turn it back on and it would do it. But I switched gas srations the other week and it stopped. So for comparison i went back to the old place and got like 5 bux worth. Started the crap again. Ran it out got fresh gas from the other station and back to normal. So maybe this may help someone else

1 - 20 of 20 Posts