Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we change our break in oil for the engine so why not the transmission fluid? Does anyone know what viscosity our N's take? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
disclaimer: I am not a mechanic

butttt

The reason you change your break in oil with Engines is due to metal shaving deposits that happen as a result of break in. Since the pistons and block are so closely machined, there is a little bit of abrasion that happens to all new engines. Transmissions however are different. They are cogged gears and do not shave as a result. If i am wrong feel free to correct mere here :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I dont know what the VN uses but I used BG Synchro Shift II in my Focus ST and it made the shifts like butter. Hope its the same for the VN.

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
disclaimer: I am not a mechanic

butttt

The reason you change your break in oil with Engines is due to metal shaving deposits that happen as a result of break in. Since the pistons and block are so closely machined, there is a little bit of abrasion that happens to all new engines. Transmissions however are different. They are cogged gears and do not shave as a result. If i am wrong feel free to correct mere here :)
Great explanation! I do agree with you however I was wondering if there was a better fluid we can use that would smooth the shifts out some especially since some people are having trouble with engaging 5th and 6th gear. Also, anything new that has friction still has a chance to send minute particles into the fluid, transmissions included.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great explanation! I do agree with you however I was wondering if there was a better fluid we can use that would smooth the shifts out some especially since some people are having trouble with engaging 5th and 6th gear. Also, anything new that has friction still has a chance to send minute particles into the fluid, transmissions included.

Br,

-Mike
That's correct. Fords owners manual actually had regular driving intervals and track driving interval fluid changes in the owners manuals. Transmission fluid was after every 12hrs of track driving if I recall correctly. As soon as I figure out what trans fluid is compatible I will change mine.

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's correct. Fords owners manual actually had regular driving intervals and track driving interval fluid changes in the owners manuals. Transmission fluid was after every 12hrs of track driving if I recall correctly. As soon as I figure out what trans fluid is compatible I will change mine.

Me too! Can you let us know what bolts to take out and post a couple of pics when you do the change? Also, can you let us know how many quarts it took and if we need to use anything for the LSD? I know some have a special additive. Thank you in advance.

Br,

-Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts