Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Hey do you happen to have any picture of this before it was installed??? I can weld and my buddy can fab and with enough pics I could replicate this.

Also, have you towed anything with this? I'm looking to pull a couple go karts on a small Harbor Freight trailer.

Maybe the guy who did the work has or sent you other pics? Just trying to not go in blind.

Anything you have and are willing to offer up I would greatly appreciate.
I’ve only installed 1up bike rack. No “before” picture but I think it’s just square steel tube, welded directly to the frame. Were the photos not quite right? Do you need more?

I have no idea if you can actually tow with it. I’d bet everyone here says Don’t Do It, but maybe I’m wrong.

· Registered
34 Posts
I tried my best but all my research points to this not being possible...

So anyway, here's a picture of my new Jeep! lmao..
I still have the VN but this is a unibody chassis/frame and can hold a helluva lot more.
I've got a mower and I'm building a race mower too so the Jeep will be able to pull all that and more.
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light

· Registered
8 Posts
Yes, the work was done on 11/30. It was done by this small shop for $465 in about a day:

Precision Trailer Hitches and Welding
(818) 771-9272

Yes, the addition of the hitch involved welding. I know opinions are mixed, but welding seemed like the safest and best way to get a hitch receiver to stick out of the N. Here are three photos.
View attachment 7639

View attachment 7641

View attachment 7640
Hey Justin, do you have a link to the hitch receiver you purchased? Currently, welding seems to be the best avenue and I plan on simply carrying bikes as well. If your car is ever lifted again, could you please take some more photos showing more of the underbody, mainly for context. Particularly to see how the hitch relates to the rest of the underbody and get a better idea of placement. Thanks.

· Registered
2 Posts
Read through all of these, i just got my 22 DCT in red. and I plan on making a hitch receiver that will work. will update as project progresses. I am thinking of buying the regular veloster hitch from curt as a starting point, but after looking at the design of it I am unsure if i will... it could be a good resource for tubing and the 1.25" receiver. my plan is to custom weld brackets. if that doesnt work i will call in a custom fab guy I know and maybe cut the plastic diffuser if needed. I will take a bunch of pictures and upload as many as i can since this is not a well documented undertaking.

· Registered
8 Posts
Read through all of these, i just got my 22 DCT in red. and I plan on making a hitch receiver that will work. will update as project progresses. I am thinking of buying the regular veloster hitch from curt as a starting point, but after looking at the design of it I am unsure if i will... it could be a good resource for tubing and the 1.25" receiver. my plan is to custom weld brackets. if that doesnt work i will call in a custom fab guy I know and maybe cut the plastic diffuser if needed. I will take a bunch of pictures and upload as many as i can since this is not a well documented undertaking.
Have you had any luck so far with this process?

· Registered
2 Posts
Have you had any luck so far with this process?
Yes!
So I ordered the veloster hitch and it definitely wont fit without modification. Attached is a zip of a bunch of pictures of all the fitment. I first removed the exhaust to see if it would bolt up and it does! it looks great and clears the diffuser! But you cannot re-install the exhaust. The hitch stops the exhaust from being installed by about an inch on each side, it looks like it will clear the muffler tho. I plan on cutting and welding to modify it. I am happy with it tho and think it is a relatively good start. If you don't already own a welder it's probably more cost effective to get one custom made.

So I kind of marked where I am going to cut with white marker on the hitch, my plan is to route a part of it above the exhaust then come down and attach it where it normally would be. see my attached schematic, but there should be plenty of room to do this. just need to dimension it out now.
Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Screenshot
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

Attachments

· Registered
8 Posts
Yes!
So I ordered the veloster hitch and it definitely wont fit without modification. Attached is a zip of a bunch of pictures of all the fitment. I first removed the exhaust to see if it would bolt up and it does! it looks great and clears the diffuser! But you cannot re-install the exhaust. The hitch stops the exhaust from being installed by about an inch on each side, it looks like it will clear the muffler tho. I plan on cutting and welding to modify it. I am happy with it tho and think it is a relatively good start. If you don't already own a welder it's probably more cost effective to get one custom made.

So I kind of marked where I am going to cut with white marker on the hitch, my plan is to route a part of it above the exhaust then come down and attach it where it normally would be. see my attached schematic, but there should be plenty of room to do this. just need to dimension it out now. View attachment 11229 View attachment 11230 View attachment 11233
Man, you're an absolute boss for posting these pics and providing such great input! I spoke to one of the muffler shops in town and they said they're not willing to do any welding that would leave them liable for anything and I totally understand their perspective. Although, they did say that if I can find a Curt hitch that can be bolted to the frame rails, they would do any necessary modification to the hitch to miss the exhaust pipes. This right here is exactly what I needed. Do you mind sending the part number of the hitch you purchased?

· Registered
8 Posts
Yes!

So I kind of marked where I am going to cut with white marker on the hitch, my plan is to route a part of it above the exhaust then come down and attach it where it normally would be. see my attached schematic, but there should be plenty of room to do this. just need to dimension it out now. View attachment 11229 View attachment 11230 View attachment 11233
Never mind about the part number. I was able to get it off one of your pics.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts