Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to install a trailer hitch on their Veloster N? I am not looking to tow, but rather to use a hitch mounted bike rack. I’ve been using a SeaSucker roof rack, which works well enough, but is much more of an inconvenience than a hitch rack. I know the hitch receiver made for the standard Veloster will not fit due to clearance issues with the exhaust valve, but the mounting holes are still there in the frame on the N. Thinking some kind of custom fabrication may be an option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't advise it for anything more than a MTB or Road Bicycle tote.
All I’m planning on using it for is a bike rack. Definitely not planning on trying to tow anything. I was wondering if anyone else was able to have something fabricated.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
The problem is, I haven't seen one specifically manufactured for it. Not that I'm aware of for anyone here. There was a thread a while back but nothing transpired.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made an appointment for Friday with a custom hitch shop in my area that does fabrication. I’ll update then on the feasibility of it in case anyone else is interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For sure! My criteria are going to be no drilling or welding the frame of the car and no modifying the exhaust.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For sure! My criteria are going to be no drilling or welding the frame of the car and no modifying the exhaust.
When I looked at that part of the car, looked like a hitch cross beam could possibly be squeezed behind the bumper and perhaps by cutting a hole through the valence panel, the receiver could poke out. Given the valence looks easily replaceable, I’d be good with sacrificing it for the sake of a hitch!

·
Registered
37 Posts
It would be cool if you got a stealth or hidden hitch made. The kind with a detachable receiver so you could preserve a factory look when you’re not using it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may want to check out seasucker for a rack option--I have used them before and they work perfectly--likely cheaper than a hitch too. The downside--If you are going to park someplace (like work) before riding, someone could readily undo the cups, and take your bike and rack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SeaSucker is actually what I’m using now for my bike. It works great, but it’s much less convenient for me than a hitch rack since I have to take the front wheel off and I don’t feel comfortable leaving the rack on the car while I’m riding since it would be super easy for someone to steal. Because of this, I end up taking it off at the trailhead and putting it back on when I’m done with my ride. Not a huge deal, but adds enough inconvenience that I’ve been finding myself riding much less frequently than when I had a vehicle with a hitch rack.

Update on the hitch - the shop I took the car to on Friday thinks they can fabricate something that will work. They’re quoting around $1,000 for a full day’s work. I’m planning on having it done. The utility it will add is worth it to me, and I still have my old hitch rack, so I’m good to go once the receiver is installed on the car.

They plan on fabricating a bracket to bolt on to the weld nuts already in the frame that the hitch for the non-N models bolts too. Then they’ll run the cross tube above the exhaust tubes and between the muffler and the plastic valence in the back of the car. Here’s a picture of the underside of the car with a diagram I drew of what they’re proposing in case anyone else is interested in doing something similar:

·
Registered
1 Posts
SeaSucker is actually what I’m using now for my bike. It works great, but it’s much less convenient for me than a hitch rack since I have to take the front wheel off and I don’t feel comfortable leaving the rack on the car while I’m riding since it would be super easy for someone to steal. Because of this, I end up taking it off at the trailhead and putting it back on when I’m done with my ride. Not a huge deal, but adds enough inconvenience that I’ve been finding myself riding much less frequently than when I had a vehicle with a hitch rack.

Update on the hitch - the shop I took the car to on Friday thinks they can fabricate something that will work. They’re quoting around $1,000 for a full day’s work. I’m planning on having it done. The utility it will add is worth it to me, and I still have my old hitch rack, so I’m good to go once the receiver is installed on the car.

They plan on fabricating a bracket to bolt on to the weld nuts already in the frame that the hitch for the non-N models bolts too. Then they’ll run the cross tube above the exhaust tubes and between the muffler and the plastic valence in the back of the car. Here’s a picture of the underside of the car with a diagram I drew of what they’re proposing in case anyone else is interested in doing something similar:

View attachment 6280
Curious if you've since had this custom fab done and if so the results? Thx.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have not had it done yet. I was originally scheduled to get it done this month, but had to delay due to some scheduling issues. I'm also debating between getting the hitch made and trading in the car for a truck. I love the car, but even with a hitch, some of the capabilities it offers in terms of cargo capacity and ground clearance are limiting for many of the activities I enjoy. It will probably be a couple months before I decide either way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts