Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2022 DCT VN, 2005 Honda S2000
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yes, i've been thinking about trading in my M2 Competition for a Veloster N with a DCT. Currently the M2 is a Manual, however some things happened sooner than expected, and medically, my clutch foot cant handle the kind of work out driving a daily MT car gives it due to a pre-existing condition.

Been doing a lot of research online, mainly youtube, and i've settled on this car or possible the new BRZ (depending on what it comes with). I've always loved hot hatches, and if we in the US got the AMG A45S i'd be all over that car in a second.

Here's my thought process. I prefer DCT over ZF8 transmission even though both are good. Financially i'm not struggling, however buying a VN would reduce my payments by more than half which means more money i get to spend on my track car (2005 S2000). Its more practical than the M2, and right now trying to find a used M2C with the same miles as my MT one is proving near impossible in my area.

My question to you all is. Have you ever gone from a high performance car to the Veloster N. Did you feel like you were sacrificing too much? The M2 is literally double the price of the Veloster, howeever we all know price =/= fun. I've had plenty of slow fun cars and the M2 is actually the first car i've ever owned that is over 400hp. The power is fun and i do love that car, however i literally havnt been able to drive it or my other car for the past month and i hate it. I've been driving my girlfriends GTI around and it hasnt been bad. But the Veloster N seems more fun than the GTI.

Also i know some of you are prob saying (the S2000 is also MT). Yes it is. But the clutch is significantly lighter, and since its my track car i'd only be driving it 1-2 times a month vs the M2 which i generally drive every day. Which puts less strain on my foot.

To close, strongly considering the Veloster. I want to test drive one however there are none in the area i'm in (no used ones either, which actually speaks highly to the car) and the 2021 havnt hit our dealers yet.

TL:DR, Has anyone come from a RWD more powerful/performance oriented car to the Veloster N and has been happy with their decision?

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's going to be difficult. I had a 2013 BMW 135is with Dinan Stage 2 and it will be a HUGE difference. The biggest difference I think is going to FWD. I think you could probably learn to love it by modding, but I would highly recommend that you test drive at least one or two before you pull the trigger.

Good luck with your decision!

-Sam

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's going to be difficult. I had a 2013 BMW 135is with Dinan Stage 2 and it will be a HUGE difference. The biggest difference I think is going to FWD. I think you could probably learn to love it by modding, but I would highly recommend that you test drive at least one or two before you pull the trigger.
Yeah i know its going to be a big difference however i also am not a RWD snob like some other people. Before the M2 and the S2k, i owned a Fiesta ST and a Focus ST and enjoyed those cars when i had them. The benefit of the VN i see is the lower seating position and the more racecar feel while also being a practical hatchback.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah i know its going to be a big difference however i also am not a RWD snob like some other people. Before the M2 and the S2k, i owned a Fiesta ST and a Focus ST and enjoyed those cars when i had them. The benefit of the VN i see is the lower seating position and the more racecar feel while also being a practical hatchback.
Based on that, you'll probably end up in a Veloster N. I also used to own a Dodge SRT-4 FWD, so I know the pain of wheel hop lol.

Do some test driving and let us know what you decide.

-Sam

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will thank you for the response! Have you found that you havnt been lacking in the fun factor? Speed and power is great, but if i'm smiling every single time i'm driving the car, none of that matteres.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I actually drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance now, but my wife and son BOTH have a 2020 Hyundai Veloster N. I've driven it and I could imagine driving it as a daily driver. It has been pretty fun to drive for me. The "N" mode suspension is ridiculously hard for a stock car and the chassis is so stiff that the car will get on 3 wheels pulling into my driveway at home, so that all adds to the fun factor. The car is a little raw so I think you'll enjoy it.

My son's has started to experience a noise coming from the clutch after a dealership oil change and tire rotation. Who knows what the heck they did to the car, but it's one of the threads in here. It sounds like it's getting louder.

If I owned one I'd probably want to mod... A LOT....

-Sam

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you already have an S2000 for the track then the loss of the RWD M2C is somewhat mitigated. To state the obvious, the M2C is objectively quicker, faster, more refined, etc. The Veloster is an inexpensive platform modded for good performance for its class. I guess you could say the same of the M2C, but it’s in a higher class to begin with. Drive one, see if you can live with the “lesser” interior and performance. The Veloster is quite an engaging car with a fun personality and surprising capability for the price, but it’s no M2C.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you already have an S2000 for the track then the loss of the RWD M2C is somewhat mitigated. To state the obvious, the M2C is objectively quicker, faster, more refined, etc. The Veloster is an inexpensive platform modded for good performance for its class. I guess you could say the same of the M2C, but it’s in a higher class to begin with. Drive one, see if you can live with the “lesser” interior and performance. The Veloster is quite an engaging car with a fun personality and surprising capability for the price, but it’s no M2C.
Yeah as you say a lot of what i would miss about the M2C i would keep with the S2000. I've never been huge on interior luxury. If it has carplay, a decent headunit and it has cool lights and looks cool with good seats, thats all i care about. The M2C has heated steering wheel and dual climate and whatnot and i never use any of that so not a huge loss in that department. The new seats in the 2021 Veloster look basically like M seats so i feel like i'd keep that which is nice. In terms of a DD, the M2C honestly is nice, but a lot of its performance is wasted as i'm not mashing on the throttle pushing it to its limit. So i'm hoping that the Veloster makes for a decent DD as well with some fun on the side. I'm waiting for our dealership to get some of the new ones in and i will be test driving as soon as i can

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Just to let you know the clutch in the manual Veloster N is pretty light, and engages quite low down.
I test drove many hot hatches including the CTR, Fiesta, Golf R, and the Veloster was the most fun/entertaining.
It definitely rides on the firm side even in its softest setting.
In N mode the suspension is unbearable on most public roads, might be tolerable on a smooth racetrack.
Goodluck in your search.

·
Registered
2020 VNpp tuned
31 Posts
I just bought my Veloster N and I sold my 2001 Audi TT. I absolutely loved my TT and I drove it till it was almost dead. One of the reasons I liked the TT is because it wasn't a common car and you don't see them everyday at least not in Colorado and that's definitely the case with Veloster N. In fact I have never even seen another one on the road before. In my opinion the N is actually more fun to drive than my TT. It's just got so much pep and character driving it. The car handles and feels like a million bucks. The stock exhaust sound is unreal and makes the whole driving experience that much better. When you go through a tunnel or under a bridge and hit those pops and cracks it sends chills down my spine with how good it sounds. I haven't taken to the track yet cause I'm still breaking it in but once you drive it all you can think about is getting it to the track. I'm currently installing some mods and the JB4 tune and can't wait to feel and hear it when it's done. The only con I can think of is the interior, it's pretty plain but I am gonna change that with some carbon fiber parts and I bought some baby blue vinyl wrap to cover parts of the interior and give it some personality. I also bought some metal emblems and other **** to add little more detail like you see in the more expensive cars. Anyway point being you change the plain interior problem fairly easily. I also was a photographer for Porsche and Audi for many years so I have driven a lot of nice cars and of course this is not in the same league but that doesn't make it any less fun to drive and for the price ya can't beat it in my opinion. I think once you test drive it you'll pull the trigger and be happy you did. I hope this helps. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just bought my Veloster N and I sold my 2001 Audi TT. I absolutely loved my TT and I drove it till it was almost dead. One of the reasons I liked the TT is because it wasn't a common car and you don't see them everyday at least not in Colorado and that's definitely the case with Veloster N. In fact I have never even seen another one on the road before. In my opinion the N is actually more fun to drive than my TT. It's just got so much pep and character driving it. The car handles and feels like a million bucks. The stock exhaust sound is unreal and makes the whole driving experience that much better. When you go through a tunnel or under a bridge and hit those pops and cracks it sends chills down my spine with how good it sounds. I haven't taken to the track yet cause I'm still breaking it in but once you drive it all you can think about is getting it to the track. I'm currently installing some mods and the JB4 tune and can't wait to feel and hear it when it's done. The only con I can think of is the interior, it's pretty plain but I am gonna change that with some carbon fiber parts and I bought some baby blue vinyl wrap to cover parts of the interior and give it some personality. I also bought some metal emblems and other **** to add little more detail like you see in the more expensive cars. Anyway point being you change the plain interior problem fairly easily. I also was a photographer for Porsche and Audi for many years so I have driven a lot of nice cars and of course this is not in the same league but that doesn't make it any less fun to drive and for the price ya can't beat it in my opinion. I think once you test drive it you'll pull the trigger and be happy you did. I hope this helps. Keep us updated.
I'm also interested in getting a JB4 tune so can you please let us all know how the car changes with the tune?
Is the power increase noticeable.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'll comment on your original question. I'm coming from a C5 Z06 and still currently own it. Interestingly, the Veloster has a nicer interior 🤣. However, the power is on another level. I love the pull my Corvette provides. It's a great experience. Having said that, I feel the VN is the better car, especially for daily driving. I'm actually considering selling the Vette because I find myself always wanting to drive the VN. All the other comments on here are absolutely true. This is a car built with fun as a priority, but most of us don't know how much fun is lost with the DCT. Before you get rid of your M2C, I recommend driving many different cars. Buy the car that speaks to you. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your responses. Again selling the M2 is more of a medical choice than it is a car choice. Had i gotten the M2 with the DCT i wouldnt even have considered this car. Also knowing my own body and knowing that this will probably happen again, it just makes sense to have my DD have an automatic transmission. It feels bad not being able to drive either car for more than a month at this point.

I do generally agree that lower power cars benefit more from a MT than a DCT, however driving my girlfriends GTI which has even less power than the Veloster N, its pretty fun even on the back roads. I'm not too worried about lack of engagement as i will be keeping my S2000 and you cant really beat the rawness of that car. I'm currently waiting on a dealership to get back to me about when these cars will arrive in CA, but i'm also excited for the new Subaru BRZ announcement. Theres been rumors that the car might actually come with the turbo engine from the Ascent, and theres been pictures that hint at rear wheel steering which is insane especially if the car stays at the same 30k price point. And if the transmission can use a DCT i'll be sold. However if it ends up lackluster the Veloster N currently is still top of the list.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What kind of lease deals have you guys been seeing with the Veloster N in California SF Bay Area? I was also considering the 2021 Supra but all the dealerships in my area are offering lease deals as bad as the M2 competition which i think is just robbery. I was on the Supra forums and people were getting some crazy deals which made me think that i could do something like that, but as of right now it doesnt seem like that is the case.

Has anyone here compared the Supra to the VN? I know they are a different class of car at different price points, but i'm just curious.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What kind of lease deals have you guys been seeing with the Veloster N in California SF Bay Area? I was also considering the 2021 Supra but all the dealerships in my area are offering lease deals as bad as the M2 competition which i think is just robbery. I was on the Supra forums and people were getting some crazy deals which made me think that i could do something like that, but as of right now it doesnt seem like that is the case.

Has anyone here compared the Supra to the VN? I know they are a different class of car at different price points, but i'm just curious.
What kind of deals were they getting on their Supras?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Leasing a car is one of the dumbest ways to acquire a new car.
With so many manufacturers these days offering 0% financing, why would anyone lease a car.
When you lease a car you are basically renting it for long term, and at the end of the lease you have nothing to show for all those lease payments you made.
Not very smart if you want to financially get ahead in life.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Unless you're having trouble with the M2 Competition, excessive mileage or engine problems, you're downgrading performance with the VN. You'll not be happy with the car. i'm being truthful with you about this. It takes a fair amount of modifying to bring the VN up to the M2 BMW performance. You'd be better off with n Audi TTRS or something along the lines of a newer BMW M2 or M4.

Wheel hop with the VN can be quickly remedied, with a set of
Upper and Lower motor mounts. Talk to Aaron, he'll set you up directly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts