Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I recently traded in a 2020 R Spec for a 2020 N. I owned the R Spec for six months and loved every second of it. The highlights of my day were driving to and from work on the PA turnpike, which is notoriously rough and lawless. Like Mad Max.

(I highly recommend the 1.6 turbo to everyone. Loads of fun and well over the advertised 33 mpg. I even test drove the Kia Forte GT. Same engine. It was also fun, but I hated the colors.)

That said, I wanted more and upgraded to the N a month ago. Holy smokes. It's a lot more, but often in subtle ways.

The boomba PCV catch can and RMM are in the mail. I'm hoping the RMM will improve the shift from 1st to 2nd, which is the only real complaint that I have about the vehicle. 2nd just doesn't seem to perfectly notch in place every time. I'll also welcome to engine vibrations. It's odd to not feel any lugging or bogging down (I have a 25 y/o Mitz Might Max that lugs and bogs like it's his job, ha).

Any other simple upgrade suggestions? I'm comfortable with older cars/engines where bolting and unbolting parts are the norm, but not the heavily wired engines. My skillset feels limited. Any and all suggestions welcome, though.

Except for the R Spec, I've kept all my cars 20+ years. I hope for the same from this one. Pride of ownership!

Many thanks,

B

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome. When I got my VN I test drove a Spec R and loved it. One tip, if you only drive it N and N custom with the engine in sport+, exhaust in sport+, and drive fairly spiritedly you'll never see close to 33 mpg again (ask me how I know):ROFLMAO: But the trade off is worth it!
Happy motoring!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi everyone. I recently traded in a 2020 R Spec for a 2020 N. I owned the R Spec for six months and loved every second of it. The highlights of my day were driving to and from work on the PA turnpike, which is notoriously rough and lawless. Like Mad Max.

(I highly recommend the 1.6 turbo to everyone. Loads of fun and well over the advertised 33 mpg. I even test drove the Kia Forte GT. Same engine. It was also fun, but I hated the colors.)

That said, I wanted more and upgraded to the N a month ago. Holy smokes. It's a lot more, but often in subtle ways.

The boomba PCV catch can and RMM are in the mail. I'm hoping the RMM will improve the shift from 1st to 2nd, which is the only real complaint that I have about the vehicle. 2nd just doesn't seem to perfectly notch in place every time. I'll also welcome to engine vibrations. It's odd to not feel any lugging or bogging down (I have a 25 y/o Mitz Might Max that lugs and bogs like it's his job, ha).

Any other simple upgrade suggestions? I'm comfortable with older cars/engines where bolting and unbolting parts are the norm, but not the heavily wired engines. My skillset feels limited. Any and all suggestions welcome, though.

Except for the R Spec, I've kept all my cars 20+ years. I hope for the same from this one. Pride of ownership!

Many thanks,

B
Pictures?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IKR - I noticed right away that if you aren't precise, then this car will eat your MPGs alive. I'm at 1600 miles and get 28 - 30 on the turnpike. I take comfort knowing what's at my fingertips and largely employ it as a road weapon, if that makes sense. Just fun to turn on when I want it!

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
Welcome to the N club! I absolutely love mine!!!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ghost. Pic as requested, with my 1995 Mighty Max. I love that truck more than the N... owned it since it rolled off the assembly line! Fall has hit full force. The leaves have invaded :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm happy when I hit 25MPG. Usually its like 21-22. But compared to my Xterra where I get 11.... yeah 11MPG, I am always excited to double my mileage and have a blast driving my little N. Due to the snow that fell last night and right now Ill be driving the X for a few days to work and such, but I am going to miss the N a little more each day as she is just so fun to drive.

Great looking setup, including the MM.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
430 Posts

Many thanks,

B
Welcome. I live in Eastern PA. I replaced just the bushing on my RMM with a stiffer one and it did make a difference with the shifting. I have dual catch cans setup and a bag of rigid collars sitting in my shop waiting to be installed. My wife and I just got back from Carlisle. Your description of the turnpike is about right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome to the family🤙 Rims and tires are huge. Drop down to 18/8.5/40 I shaved 11 pounds per wheel. And tires are much cheaper in that size. Made noticable difference, in very good way. But very cheap upgrade, that makes a big difference the Boomba rear engine mount.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Funny, I just did the same thing. I had the R-Spec for 8 months and just had to find out what I was missing out on. Absolutely love the N so far, and have hurt some feelings on my local mountain.

·
Registered
82 Posts
IKR - I noticed right away that if you aren't precise, then this car will eat your MPGs alive. I'm at 1600 miles and get 28 - 30 on the turnpike. I take comfort knowing what's at my fingertips and largely employ it as a road weapon, if that makes sense. Just fun to turn on when I want it!
You're a better person and have more self control than me because even though October 20th was one year of ownership for me other than on the 2 long road trips I've taken (600+ miles roundtrip) that gas pedal starts talking to me and I do bad things:D I was able to get 28-30 mpg on those trips so decent highway mileage is possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts