Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

tracked, tuned and temps

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  RedVN 
#1 ·
For those of you who track their cars and have a tune. Have you had any temp issues? oil,coolant, XMSN etc.
I am close to purchasing a tune and I visit the track at least 4 full weekends a year, 1 in fall the rest in spring/summer and it gets hot in Northern AL.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Not as many who are tuned I guess. I will be tracking the car a lot next year and pushing the crap out of it. I won't be tuning the car as I know that it will have issues with reliability. I want to see how the car feels after multiple 25-30 minutes of HPDE beating.

I saw some of the responses on your FB post in the group. A lot of people either have experiences on dynos or at the drag strip with a tune. We will need someone try it and see how reliable it can be. On track, the car gets more clean airflow. At higher speeds as well.

Hopefully more people who have tuned and tracked their cars can chime in.

#4 ·
Exactly why I posed the question. I have witnessed many a tuned FI car struggle at the track. My first track weekend in the car is first weekend in November, Barber MSP. I have been itching to go. Hope the lil guy does well. I have set a pretty fast PB in my last car. My goal is to get within 10 seconds of that. Lofty goal but I'm going to try. Lol

#6 ·
I sim race regularly to stay sharp. I'm on the PS$ though. Running PC2, AC and F1. Wanted a higher end rig but what I have works and is immersive enough with the seat, pedals, shifter, wheel and 42" screen 30 inches from my eyes.
Nice. I'm sure the car will do well.

In three weeks I will be at VIR for HPDE. I have been practicing in Assetto Corsa lol. It will probably be a very cool day, so I should have no problems with temperatures

#8 ·
You have a performance package so a tune isn't really going to do anything over the factory programming and probably isn't worth it given you will toss the warranty. At the factory boost settings with N mode in the top setting is basically all you have for the efficiency range of the TD04 turbo on our cars. There's a little left there, but not much for the cost to do it right.

Here's a good article on what's in our cars for technology. Hyundai did some interesting stuff.

Probing Hyundai's Veloster N Performance Powertrain

#10 · (Edited)
A good remap will take advantage of several areas that a piggy back won't/can't. With a stage II remap, you'll see over 300 hp and much better fuel delivery and response. Such a tune, costs $600 to $800 and will retain all the factory safety features. The peak power delivery can be adjusted higher up the rpm range. As it stands the VN pretty much falls flat after 5K. A remap will find more power and provide more boost across the entire the rpm range. You can also make and take advantage of precise fuel mapping.

Piggy backs can't do this, they are simply sensor foolers.

#15 ·
Do you know of a good and reputable tuner? That's the issue I'm having is finding someone who is tuning these N's with good and stable tunes. But also going back and forth on giving up my warranty also when I do. Its a struggle!! But I do own mine outright, but still. ha The struggle is so real. You know the car has a lot more in it, and Hyundai knows it has a lot more in it too, but its untapped power with consequences.

#11 ·
Until some more reputable tuners get on tuning this car, I would stay away from a tune if you're tracking. Most of the stuff that's out now are either piggybacks, from an unknown tuner, or stupidly expensive.

Before adding power, or any mods really, you should do a couple track days with the car to get a good feel for what you believe it needs for your driving. For me, personally, more power is not a thing the car needs right now -- more front end grip and more camber is the first thing I'm looking at after two track days (really, four days total).

#13 ·
I agree. I am new to turbos and FWD cars for the track. However, I am a seasoned driver. I have already done significant weight reduction, added track width (wider wheel), - Camber etc. I know from my driving this car top end is dead. The tune is not necessarily for power. Well it is but rather I want to shift the power to the higher rpm. However, from my research, currently that is not possible. Additionally, the higher temps associated with the tunes is a huge drawback. This is a daily/track car for me. My track car which I sold was a balls to the wall all the time. I don't want that anymore. I just want more usable power for track work. Low end tq to me is ok but prefer the screamers. Either way, this car is a hoot. And yes that low end tq is partly the reason. Oh well. Guess you really can't have your cake and it it too.

#14 ·
Piggybacks and canned tunes are not the way to go. You need someone doing the tuning on a dyno so you can play with the cam angles and everything properly with real time data and as far as I know that ability is still in the works. Although, the ECM has been read and the data downloaded, now they still have to figure out how to identify everything and make software to manipulate it similar to what HPTuners does for GM, Ford, and Dodge.

You hit the nail on the head. The efficiency of the turbo and intercooler are basically dancing a fine line from the factory so by pushing that further comes the sacrifice to reliability. Also on the top end this turbo runs out quick, it's sized to prevent lag(Mitsubishi TD04 and the exhaust housing of the turbo is part of the manifold as well).

#16 ·
Yeah totally. This engine is used for the Veloster N TCR and TC cars. TCR car uses a bigger turbo and making 350HP. Genracer built the TC car and it's pretty stock. It makes 300 HP. Genracer had to get an ECU from Korea to be able to unlock some of the features for tuning and data acquisition systems.

Hyundai Australia also got a bigger turbo from Hyundai directly and was able to make about 60HP more. They also got a special ECU and engineers from Korea.

There is definitely more in the engine, but requires bigger turbo, IC, and a bespoke tune with the warranty in trash lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.