Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some winter wheels and tires from tire rack. After about 100 miles I am not seeing anything come up other than TPMS not found warning light.

Is there a point where I need to check if the sensors are faulty or does it truly take 100s of miles to pair?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
If they haven't reset after about 10 miles, then the TPMS aren't registering. They will have to be read by hand and then transferred to the ECU. What Hz TPMS did you utilize? I assume you purchased new TPMS from Tire Rack?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Most likely one that the ECU doesn't recognize. I imagine they aren't Hyundai OEM TPMS but aftermarket units. They'll need to be registered in the ECU. You'll have to go to the dealership or a trusted, faithful shop. What happens is; the serial number for the TPMS must be captured by a handheld tool, then transferred to the ECU via the OBD II port thru the TPMS section of the ECU, with a Hyundai or compatible GDS.

This will initialize the TPMS in the ECU.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
557 Posts
From what I have read usually your new tires will sync. I assume that you were going at a decent clip speed-wise, correct? When I swap the wheels back on my Genesis (I don't use TPMS sensors on my winter rims/tires) I have to be somewhere North of 30 mph for maybe around 20 minutes. Then it syncs back with the factory tires. That is "old tech" of course. When I pop-on some new wheels and tires I will find this out for myself on this car.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I bought a set of wheels/tires from TireRack with pre-installed TPMS and they synced right away. My “old” stock set is about 20 feet from the car, though, so perhaps that had something to do with it?

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
587 Posts
I got some winter wheels and tires from tire rack. After about 100 miles I am not seeing anything come up other than TPMS not found warning light.

Is there a point where I need to check if the sensors are faulty or does it truly take 100s of miles to pair?
I had to drive mine for 3 days before they sync'd up. I drove for 40 miles straight one day and they turned on. Drive for a longer stint and see what happens. Now, even when I turn my car on it doesnt show, but once I drive for about 2-3 minutes they always come on.

-JE

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, so went through a whole thing w/ tirerack tpms, and learned a lot:

1. the veloster N does auto recognize the TPMS sensor, there is no coding or reset on the car side. HOWEVER, i also had issues w/ the actual PSI not reading on the screen after fixing my tpms issuses (see below), and that was fixed after i cleared the TPMS error codes from the ECU.
2. i had to work with tirerack to warranty two of the 4 tpms sensors because the tpms reader could not sense them. If you are seeing TPMS error light on your dashboard, this may be your issue as well.

Overall, if you don't have a reader for tpms sensors, you may need to go to a tireshop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this something a tireshop can diagnose pretty quickly? Figure ill take it into one after another week and hopefully they can find one thats bad.

I am assuming there tool can check it out with the car stationary?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Yes, and yes, if they have the hand held and a generic ECU Hyundai GDS access. Most do if they service Hyundai's. Some of the time it's just the initialization or a need for new batteries. They use several watch battery in the stem or one nickel metal hydride.

This is how it's normally done;
Next time you buy TPMS buy them from TPMS Direct, they will get you the correct OEM TPMS. They also have programming tools.
For grins try this;

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got 6 wheels and tires for my car (yes, I’m clearly creating a dually) from Discount Tire, and the first set they mounted didn’t work. At all. They swapped out all of them with Schrader EZ-Something or others and after a couple miles they finished pairing and worked fine. They initialized the two spares, and I should be able to add their IDs to the ECU when I rotate them in later on. Of course I need to get a new scanner with extended TPMS functionality, but oh well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts