Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big O just bolted on my new winter rims and tires with the TPMS sensors installed. The Tire Rack guide says I may need to reset the tire pressure monitoring system on my car. Does any one know if that is indeed necessary and how to do it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine automatically detected my new TPMS sensors in my new wheels and tires the other day. No need to reset.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did actually do a search prior to posting... thanks Red

I followed those links and still didn't find the info. Maybe you could help me out with a little more info, since I am apparently missing it by skimming through the posts that contain the answers I need. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got my set of Rial Lucca wrapped in Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 from Tire Rack today. The sensors set after about 5 miles driving into town. Just put them on and drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wow; impressed... Figured i was going to have to head to a dealer for a re-prog for tpms; winteries going on Monday.

Wonder how they know which tire is which...

"I knew a guy" once that put them in the spare tire.

·
Registered
876 Posts
To register the correct Serial Number for the new TPMS, a hand held unit is utilized to capture the serial number. Then they transferred over to the ECU thru the GDS system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Put new winters on from Tire Rack and after a little bit of driving all the PSI's popped up on the display no problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
To register the correct Serial Number for the new TPMS, a hand held unit is utilized to capture the serial number. Then they transferred over to the ECU thru the GDS system.
If the car recognizes the new sensors why the need to have the serial numbers registered to the ECU?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Warranty primarily but other more sinister problems. If you've had the TPMS changed along with the set of rims and tires and something goes wrong with the aftermarket set, it can lead to Hyundai denying a warranty claim.

More Sinister Affects;

The RF receiver is hooked directly into the cars ECU. The RF receiver which talks to the sensors on each tire, is usually the same RF system that talks to your remote key fob to open the doors and disarm your security system. The TPMS system usually accommodates up to 10 sensors at a time. This is so if you have a set of snow tires you don't have to go to the dealer and have them relearn your sensor IDs twice a year.

All of the TPMS info is sent to the cars ECU for processing and action. Hackers know how to build your own "special" tool to force a "unregistered sensor" to register to the ECU commands that it will accept. At this point a hacker has been able to compromise the TPMS system itself and send commands to the ECU via the unregistered TPMS.

This allows for all sorts of problems like shutting off a car that is running, damaging the engine by setting bad values in the ECU, creating power issues, etc. Modern ECUs sometimes include features such as, cruise control, transmission control, anti-skid brake control, and anti-theft which can also be controlled while in motion.

Hacking the TPMS creates all sorts of issues. So registering the serial numbers can stop such things from happening. If the TPMS serial values don't match, a hacker can force access to the ECU.

So you can see some reasons for registering the new TPMS. ECU are not hack proof via wireless devices. They have no firewalls or means to overt such exploited.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts