Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
According to the manual, nothing. Not sure I would try a boat with it, but I plan on trying to hide a hitch behind the plate for pulling tires/tools/etc to the track which should weigh around 400lbs including the trailer.

· Registered
86 Posts
Please share if anyone has found a source for a hitch for the VN Model. Curt and others make a hitch for the non “N” Veloster with the center exhaust, but the VN dual exhaust outlets block the standard hitches from fitting (no straight shot from frame attachment points). I once contacted Curt and they said they have no current plans to make a hitch for the N. Not looking to tow, but rather carry a bike rack (preferred over roof).

· Registered
34 Posts
Ill likely be doing this very soon to transport around my go karts.
The car may not be MADE for towing but its made to hold 4 passengers and I usually drive alone or +1 so there's a lot of weight saved there.
The clutch will feel it yes, but its not something that's going to just explode apart or break on first use. It would just mean a shortened lifespan/more wear on take off for the clutch.
With the amount of torque this engine puts in to this trans at low gears, I don't really see transmission wear being a highly urgent/immediate problem either.

I would say towing anything is going to shorten the lifespan of these things, but certainly not break them right away.
All of this being said, I would not tow more than some kind of small engine vehicle (go karts, motorcycle, small lawn mower) on a very light trailer and I would avoid the highway at all costs.

· Registered
4,887 Posts
Clutch and transmission are not the only issues. It’s the weight of the trailer and what’s being towed vs the weight of the car suspension and the available stopping power. Most people don’t take this in consideration at all.

A class one hitch and a bike carrier with a couple of bikes is about it.👍🇺🇸

· Registered
172 Posts
The VN GVWR is 4,079 lbs. And the curb weight is ~3,150 lbs. So if you weigh 200 lbs and drive alone, that means you can safely "carry" 730 more pounds.

As far as towing, the N/A Veloster can reportedly tow 1,000 lbs. Structurally, I don't see why the VN couldn't do the same. Even if Hyundai doesn't publish towing capacity numbers.

· Registered
34 Posts
The VN GVWR is 4,079 lbs. And the curb weight is ~3,150 lbs. So if you weigh 200 lbs and drive alone, that means you can safely "carry" 730 more pounds.

As far as towing, the N/A Veloster can reportedly tow 1,000 lbs. Structurally, I don't see why the VN couldn't do the same. Even if Hyundai doesn't publish towing capacity numbers.
It's that exact information that has led me to believe that I could either tow a kart or two behind me or get a roof rack and put the kart on the rack (with some modification. I weld). Ideally I would like to be able to transport 2. What I really need to do is get them weighed so I know what I'm working with. If the NA can tow 1K, surely the VN can tow more given that it has a beefed up trans, brakes, and suspension (comparatively).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.