Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first N DCT hit my dealership this past week and I test drove one today. I want a DCT for two reasons - 1) more logical choice as a daily commuter and 2) my girlfriend can use it when she needs to :)

The car I looked at was in ultra black with the red accents. Performance blue looks more unique, but the ultra black looks more aggressive. Upon startup, the exhaust sounded pretty good, reminded me of my old Audi S3. I didn't find the manual adjusted seats to be very comfortable, made me feel like I was crouching almost, but I got used to it after a short drive. However, I have to say the new bucket seats with the N logo on the headrest looks really cool. During the drive, the elements that really impressed me were the crackles and pop from the exhaust, how good the brakes were, and in general how comfortable the ride was. It's a solid performance car. Steering feel when going through a turn was a little iffy, but that could be me being more used to RWD dynamics. A lot of tire squeal when accelerating hard off the line. Exhaust was probably loud from the outside - got a lot of looks from people's side/rear mirrors. Infotainment was solid, and Android auto worked without a glitch. I drove with the windows down most of the time, but I found myself enjoying the experience better with windows up - almost felt like I could hear more exhaust/engine.

One gripe - I live in the upper Midwest so I wish they could've included heated front seats and a heated steering wheel like they do in Canada - the decision not to include it even as an option for the US market confounds me.

The last is the price, and it's what deters me from getting one today. The vehicle I test drove came in at around $34,500 with destination. That's a lot of pocket change for a Hyundai, even for a "N" car. I wish they could've kept it around $30k and then made options available for those that want the extras - this definitely would've broaden the audience for the car and allow momentum to build up for the N marque. At this point, I will likely wait until next year when dealers start offering discounts on this car. I enjoyed the car during my test drive, but nothing made me scream "I got to have this in my garage today!" Considering I've seen brand new 2020 N's going for around 26k, I wouldn't be surprised if dealers start massively discounting the 2021's within a year.

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Nice review.
I too test drove the 2021 N DCT and thought it was a solid hot hatch, but I really missed the driver involvement and engagement that the manual car offers.
I also liked the new seats a little more, but not enough to justify the very hefty price increase.
Luckily I was able to find a performance blue 2020 for dealer cost $34,680 Canadian or $26,500 US.
Your test car comes in at today's exchange rate at a staggering $45,000 Canadian dollars.
Way too much in my opinion.
The Veloster N used to be a performance bargain, not so much any more.
My advice to those interested in one is to seek out a 2020, and try and make a deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2020's are definitely a value proposition, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai starts heavily discounting the 2021's soon because let's face it, not too many people will be buying a $35k USD Hyundai hot hatch, even if it's that good. Not sure which executive at Hyundai thought it would be sound to increase the price by $4k and think it wouldn't hurt sales.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I saw the price around $30 and that included the Performance pack on the 2020; I really did put the VN on the top of the list for value and performance. I was looking at this as a possible daily that offers the versatility of a hatch. With the 2021 - those seats look SOO NICE. Right now, like everyone has mentioned - it might just make sense to wait it out for year to see how much this car depreciates before looking to get one at the $35k range. For that price - I think the better buy might be the CTR even with the added ADM. It offers a hatch that is performance heavy along with 4doors and bigger backseat and ‘deeper’ hatch. Just my .02 but the deal might be a used VN especially if the 2021s have similar depreciation that the 2020s are having.
Regardless - nice review.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When I saw the price around $30 and that included the Performance pack on the 2020; I really did put the VN on the top of the list for value and performance. I was looking at this as a possible daily that offers the versatility of a hatch. With the 2021 - those seats look SOO NICE. Right now, like everyone has mentioned - it might just make sense to wait it out for year to see how much this car depreciates before looking to get one at the $35k range. For that price - I think the better buy might be the CTR even with the added ADM. It offers a hatch that is performance heavy along with 4doors and bigger backseat and ‘deeper’ hatch. Just my .02 but the deal might be a used VN especially if the 2021s have similar depreciation that the 2020s are having.
Regardless - nice review.
I test drove both the CTR and the N, and even though the CTR is a little quicker, I had much more fun driving the N.
I personally like physically smaller cars, and the N is a foot shorter than the CTR, and feels even smaller.
The N stimulates more of your senses with that active exhaust.
If you can swing it I suggest anyone interested in a hot hatch to test drive the CTR and N back to back and you will discover that the N is overall a more fun car to drive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I test drove both the CTR and the N, and even though the CTR is a little quicker, I had much more fun driving the N.
I personally like physically smaller cars, and the N is a foot shorter than the CTR, and feels even smaller.
The N stimulates more of your senses with that active exhaust.
If you can swing it I suggest anyone interested in a hot hatch to test drive the CTR and N back to back and you will discover that the N is overall a more fun car to drive.
Its hard to find a dealer willing to let you test drive a CTR unfortunatel. The one thing I wish the VN offered was a 4th door instead of the 3 doors they offer. As for the feeling of a small car - that is appealing bc I like small nimble cars vs getting something that FEELS big.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Its hard to find a dealer willing to let you test drive a CTR unfortunatel. The one thing I wish the VN offered was a 4th door instead of the 3 doors they offer. As for the feeling of a small car - that is appealing bc I like small nimble cars vs getting something that FEELS big.
Yes....."nimble" is the word to describe the N.
Also...."go kart like" would also be appropriate.
If I didn't buy the Ariel Atom, a Lotus Elise or Exige would have been my next choice....all small, nimble go-kart like cars.
I test drove a Miata and liked most of what it has to offer, except I found it way under powered.
Now this on the other hand looks like a lot of fun, and may be my next project.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
77 Posts
I picked up a Chaulk White one last night. I had to go out of state to purchase but it was worth it. I was going to get a test drive and it was a very impressive car. I have driven the manual and the wife was in agreement so I did a lot of negotiation with the dealer and traded in my 2013 Fiat Abarth. It feels much more powerful than the fiat and the paddle shifters are the cherry on top. I am just familiarizing myself with the settings which is so much more than I have ever had before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts