Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First autocross and my right front tire is a goner.. There are large quarter size chunks missing all around the outside of the tire. I knew that they would be put through their paces, but I did not expect it to look the way it does. The other three tires look fine. The question I have is if I should buy only one new tire or two. A coworker told me that having a brand new tire mixed with an old one will either overwork the LSD if mounted in the front, or negatively change the handling of the car if mounted in the rear. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I need to ditch the tire? Am I better off buying one or two?

The asphalt was reminiscent of a cheese grater so I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised why that tire looks the way it does. I’m curious if they got overheated. I didn’t not drive them hard until a few laps in so I don’t think it’s because they were cold. Kind of disappointing, I figured they would last a lot longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
daaaayuuuummmm! How many miles were on them before the event?

I always replace both tires per axle on 2wd vehicles and all four tired on a 4wd vehicle. Your coworker is right, if there is a significant difference in treadwear/diameter it can negatively affect the LSD or handling.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have 2700 miles on the car, so the tires are pretty new. I’m thinking I will move the rear tires up front as they are only mildy roughed up. I really don’t want to drop $400 on two new P-Zeros. Might consider a summer tire that’s a little cheaper though I always remember hearing that you aren’t supposed to mix tire brands or treads...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I only have 2700 miles on the car, so the tires are pretty new. I’m thinking I will move the rear tires up front as they are only mildy roughed up. I really don’t want to drop $400 on two new P-Zeros. Might consider a summer tire that’s a little cheaper though I always remember hearing that you aren’t supposed to mix tire brands or treads...
There's something else going on then because I have a set of OEM Pirellis with 3500 miles, a track weekend, and one autocross event on them that don't look nearly like that. What pressures are you running?

·
Registered
122 Posts
My stockers have 10,500mi on em with an autocross weekend on em in August heat plus multiple Dragons Tail and Cherohala Skyway runs on em and dont look anywhere near that bad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's something else going on then because I have a set of OEM Pirellis with 3500 miles, a track weekend, and one autocross event on them that don't look nearly like that. What pressures are you running?
I had the tire pressure around 38 for the front and 32 for the rear. I would guess it was around 72 degrees that day.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Has to do more with the actual surface they were utilized on and how cold they were at the time of use. Generally, when this happens as the OP photos shows, is when the tires are not a proper operating temps and a rough tarmac or concrete surface. Most autocrosses are conducted on smooth surfaces such as parking lots but some are organized and run on air strips. These surfaces are not conducive to good traction environments as their surfaces are designed to be rougher.

By looking at the tire damage, it was a fairly rough surface the autocross was conducted on. This is why it's imperative not to run the same wheel/tire combo you utilize on the street. Two complete wheel/tire set are really mandated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The parking lot we used was pretty bad; the concrete was extremely rough. I tried to take it easy the first couple laps to warm up the tires. However, with the long wait time between subsequent laps, perhaps they cooled down more than I thought between each run. Good to know for next time, thanks for the responses guys.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I thought as much.

If you're really going to compete on a regular basis two things you need to invest in; alternate set of wheel/tires and tire warmers among others like, brake pads. Your tires definately cooled off and this was the primary cause of chunking the tire/s.

Accelerated tire wear is the nature of the beast. Expect it but take the time to invest in some proper equipment.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Also the psi combination is interesting. What's the reason for running 38f and 32r? Is the car oversteering too much?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The owner's manual calls for a lot more pressure on the front tires than rear. I always thought that was wierd.

That tire looks like it started to chunk from over heating. You can see that they got too hot from the pattern over the surface of the tire. In a FWD car, it's real easy to overwhelm the fronts. You may be going in to turns too hot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Probably the reason is to have understeer out of the factory. It's safer. The car moves around a decent amount at the limit when you have the same pressures all around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts