Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a flat tire on my way home from work today, took a metal spike through the shoulder of the tire and it’s not repairable. I have around 10k plus 4 track days on my stock PP tires and they’re fairly worn so it’s not worth putting a brand new pz4 on just one corner. I use this car mostly for daily commuting plus maybe 3-4 track days per year. I have a dedicated track car (E36 BMW 318ti with an S52 swap) that I use for local track days in west MI, but I use the N when my two boys can come along with me (only one passenger seat in the BMW) or if I’m going further away. I have trips to Mid-O and Pitt Race planned this summer, and the AC and cruise control plus the factory engineered reliability of the N make for a much less stressful road trip. My car is stock except for camber bolts, RBF600, and a catch can. I already have a separate set of winter wheels and tires so I want to stick with the stock 19s for summer daily / track duty.

I’m looking for recommendations for new tires that would still be bearable for daily driving but would also be a little more capable than the stock pz4s on the track. In my experience the stock tires have been ok, but they are definitely the weak point on the track and they haven’t worn great (shoulders have chunked a bit).
I’m thinking Michelin PS4s would be the safe way to go. Has anyone used those in the stock 19” size?
I saw Tire rack has RE71s on close out for $184 each so that’s a little tempting also. I’ve used those on my BMW and they’re great on the track but would be a bit rougher and louder for daily use. I’m also concerned that the step up in grip might overwork the stock brake pads and I’d rather not have to use more aggressive track pads on my daily.
The Goodyear F1 supercar 3 looks like it might be a good option too, maybe not quite as grippy as the RE71 but probably nicer for daily use.

Anyway, I’d appreciate any opinions or recommendations you all might have.
Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Conti ExtremeContact Sport, close to the PS4S, but cheaper. Anything more aggressive and you're leaning towards more track than street IMO, such as the 200tw crowd. The RE71s in particular will be gone in two track days, maybe three if you're easy on them lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, with just camber bolts on the N you’re right I’d probably chew through the shoulders of the RE71s really quickly. I’ll look into those contis, thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah, with just camber bolts on the N you’re right I’d probably chew through the shoulders of the RE71s really quickly. I’ll look into those contis, thanks.
Even with camber they melt real quick. Its a hotlap/autocross tyre, very soft compound. In the 200tw range it would make more sense to go for a Hankook RS4, Nankang NS2R, Maxxis VR1 and similar other harder compound choices. There's also a new Conti 200tw tyre aimed at enduros coming out which could work. These are quite a bit slower than RE71s (dunno yet for the Conti, but probably is), but way longer lasting. That said I do think for your use, the PS4S or Conti ECS are better choices.

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
99 Posts
I have the PS4S on mine on 18s for the extra sidewall and love them. Great tire with tons of grip for a daily. Wouldn't hesitate to do a track day on them either.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
391 Posts
I have the PS4S on mine on 18s for the extra sidewall and love them. Great tire with tons of grip for a daily. Wouldn't hesitate to do a track day on them either.
Exactly what I put on mine with Rial Lucca 18" rims. With the weather heating-up and our roads getting patched I may swap back to the 19's until the weather begins to sour.

·
Registered
27 Posts
PS4S is the answer to every tire question.

Seriously, for what you want, they'd be perfect.
This is a good suggestion, just be mindful that the sidewalls are quite soft so if you try to drive with any slip angle it will be pretty rough on the tires. You won’t set any PBs but if you manage them it is doable.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The problem with the Michelin’s PS4S is, they aren’t really track rated and tend to chunk off tread when pushed hard regularly. They’re great sport/road tires but not so much for track uses.

There are better tires available for both road and track use.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm dying to hear what is between the 200TW RE71Rs and the 300TW PS4S that is better than the PS4S for daily road use and the occasional track day...

FWIW, if I actually used my stock wheels, which I don't, I was going to try the Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3. But..., at $180 each, I may just have to order me some RE71Rs. That's too good to pass up...

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Toyo R888 R, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx Race, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, Hankook Ventus R-S4, Nitto (Toyo) Invo, Kumho ECSTA V720 ACR, Hankook VENTUS TD.

All these are subjective in nature but great tires for both road and track use and are more capable than the PS4S, IMO and experience. However it depends upon how much mileage and ride you're willing to settle for.:)(y)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm dying to hear what is between the 200TW RE71Rs and the 300TW PS4S that is better than the PS4S for daily road use and the occasional track day...

FWIW, if I actually used my stock wheels, which I don't, I was going to try the Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3. But..., at $180 each, I may just have to order me some RE71Rs. That's too good to pass up...
RE71s will be better but they wear fast both on road and on track. They are cheater tires, in the sense that they only have a 200tw rating so they can pass auto cross class standards. They are as sticky as you can get outside of a slick.

For both tires without an aggressive alignment you will chew up the outsides very very fast.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Toyo R888 R, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx Race, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, Hankook Ventus R-S4, Nitto (Toyo) Invo, Kumho ECSTA V720 ACR, Hankook VENTUS TD.

All these are subjective in nature but great tires for both road and track use and are more capable than the PS4S, IMO and experience. However it depends upon how much mileage and ride you're willing to settle for.:)(y)
Well, yes and no. For him it's a compromise, and its gonna see more street than track. The R888R are awful on the road, the Cup2s wear extremely fast (also $$$), good luck getting ACRs in non Viper sizes and the TD is literally a race tyre.

Dunlop looks ok, kinda like a worse Cup2, but dont know them to judge wear for example. AD08R would be a good allrounder I suppose. S-04 is worse, as is the Invo. RS4s are another good choice, but they also suffer from chunking, setup is very important, they need camber and even then they still chunk.

I still maintain that for him since it's a street setup that might see a few track days, he's better with something along the lines of a PS4S or ECS. No point in getting something that will either wear real fast, or heat cycle out driving on the highway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It also depends on how you’re driving. If you’re in beginner groups and driving far below the limits / with no slip angle, that’s one thing. I think PS4 will work fine for you. It’s not ideal but it’s a compromise.

If you’re intermediate or above, any compromise tire will just come apart on you real quick. A set of track wheels with proper track tires will ultimately be better than constantly destroying PS4s or equivalent. It’s a fast, nose heavy, FWD car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It also depends on how you’re driving. If you’re in beginner groups and driving far below the limits / with no slip angle, that’s one thing. I think PS4 will work fine for you. It’s not ideal but it’s a compromise.

If you’re intermediate or above, any compromise tire will just come apart on you real quick. A set of track wheels with proper track tires will ultimately be better than constantly destroying PS4s or equivalent. It’s a fast, nose heavy, FWD car.
Problem is that the 200tw tyres will get just as destroyed, if not more. They are just faster. He'd need one of the 100tw tyres (NT01, R888R, AR1, etc), but they suck for daily driving, and its wasted heat cycles.

With shorter sessions and tyre rotation I think he should be ok doing HPDE with a street tyre. Considering he has a track car already, I doubt he wants to mess around changing tyres around, or buying 2-3 sets of 200tw (or Cup2s) tyres a year lol. I guess he'll chime in on that.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Maybe the RS4 and the PSC2, but the rest are way more track oriented than daily driven. Especially the R888R.

I think this all comes down to how much OP is willing to compromise between grip and tire life. I had a set of Falken RT615K+ and they only lasted about 6k miles including one track day before I switched to the FK510s for daily driving.

I think the PS4S are definitely the best choice for a tire that will have a decent street life, but also be more than capable on track.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Problem is that the 200tw tyres will get just as destroyed, if not more.
They have can tolerate heat better, chunk less, and have stiffer sidewalls. It makes them worse on the street but trackable.

I daily PS4s and tried to dual use track them for a while. You can do it but the cost per track day ends up being pretty high.

·
Registered
120 Posts
They have can tolerate heat better, chunk less, and have stiffer sidewalls. It makes them worse on the street but trackable.

I daily PS4s and tried to dual use track them for a while. You can do it but the cost per track day ends up being pretty high.
RE71s will last two days, RS4s can last anywhere from a season to a couple days depending how badly they chunk... A harder compound 200tw like the VR1 or NS2R could maybe work, but definitely not the fast ones. They handle better and they are faster, but they dont last as long (nevermind longer) than even a PS4S, no way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts