Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nope, but I just filled them up today since it dropped from 68 to 21 degrees over night. I was able to use the air compressor built into my X which is now going to get daily driving duties, but I need to go start and run the N every few days to keep the battery up and drive it around when there is not snow on the ground. When I was getting gas in the X this afternoon, there was a line at the gas station air compressor, since it is common for many cars to get low pressure due to the temperature drop. I did walk down the line and asked a few older people in line to pull over to the fitness center parking lot and I could top them off for free and without the hassle of getting out in the snow. I try to earn some good karma sometimes.

I wonder if you would notice a difference running N2 vs O2? You will have to purge all the air out, but I wonder..... I ran Nitrogen in my 24.5 drag slicks back when I had my DSM. this way, I could air down to 6PSI and after the burn out still be near 6PSI since it does not increase pressure with heat. Being your in hot environments, it makes me wonder.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
557 Posts
I have not noticed any difference in my tires since I bought them, other than normal bleeds or fills due to temperature changes. That is the same with my other cars. My Pirelli's seem to hold air quite well. I have a normal "air" fill not Nitrogen.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine have held pressure just fine over the last four months of ownership - no issues at all and I just had to add a little bit of air to one of them for the first time with the temperature change this morning.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Did you notice any performance improvements or was the weight per wheel roughly the same?
Didn't do it for the weight or performance improvements to be honest. I haven't even checked the difference. Just did it for ride comfort (significantly improved) and peace of mind due to the increased sidewall that I won't have a blowout or crack a rim or both. I've read enough horror stories about the stock PP 19''s both here and on Reddit.

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Are you on the 19s? Have you considered going down to 18s and getting a tire with more sidewall? It's made a huge difference for me, both for ride comfort and peace of mind.
What wheels and tires did you go with.
I've read that manufacturers are going with very large Wheels like the Civic type-r and Veloster n when running higher horsepower to the front wheels, to offset torque steer.
In going with the smaller wheels, did you notice any increase in torque steer?
I plan on getting 17" or 18" wheels and tires with a taller sidewall for a more comfortable ride.
I just hope it doesn't negatively affect the handling.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
What wheels and tires did you go with.
I've read that manufacturers are going with very large Wheels like the Civic type-r and Veloster n when running higher horsepower to the front wheels, to offset torque steer.
In going with the smaller wheels, did you notice any increase in torque steer?
Are they, really? Or is that just bull and the real reason is "the bigger the wheels the cooler it looks"? I'm sure the 19s would be amazing on track, but most people that buy a VN will never see one, PP or not. The roads most everywhere make for an outright awful ride on the 19s even on the softest suspension setting, and the smallest bump or pothole makes a horrid sound that makes you cross your fingers and pray that time wasn't the time you'll be left on the side of the road.

Anyway, I digress. I didn't notice much difference in torque steer, to be honest, but even if there was a bit more, be it that my other car is RWD, I love the "grab the bull by the horns" approach under hard acceleration, where you can "feel" it in the steering wheel, so it wouldn't bother me. YMMV, of course.

I went with 18x8 Rial Lucca Machined Black, and 235/40 Michelin PS4S.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
557 Posts
I have started casually shopping fo 18" rims and A/S tires. Leftos, I like those rims! I like the look of my 19" and the ones you picked look really good. I will write these down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts