Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Who would trade their N in for a GR 86???

• Yes

• No

• Maybe... have to see how the new 86 performs lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though I have thoroughly enjoyed every second with my Velo N, I am starting to get tempted to trade it in for a GR86. My main reason is that I have had my N now for 2 years and was thinking of trying a new car since we don't know how long new gas cars will be pushed out. Haven't thought out this decision too much and would love to hear everyone's take on this!!!

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
101 Posts
I feel currently it's a weird niche. It's got a pointless back seat and still not enough power for me. Honestly I would be more drawn to it if they went full Miata and took the back seat out. I am not going to pay for a car to remove unnecessary things I paid for. It looks sporty and I am sure it handles great and has a great feeling gearbox, but on straights I imagine it's boring as hell like the last one. It's also a little too costly for what it is imo.

·
Registered
2022 Golf R DSG, 2002 Sentra SER Spec-V
15 Posts
Not enough power, needs a turbo to be in the same class as a VN.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm planning on it. I've been autoxing and tracking for the past 4 years in FWD and I feel quite satisfied with what I learned. Especially after driving friends current gen FRS', they are A LOT faster than people think. I'm talking with a good driver behind the wheel, those guys are taking corners 5-10mph faster than even a Type-R. Now with the new GR86 and the new motor, they are going to be flying way faster out of those corners while carrying the same speeds in as the current gens. Tire for tire, they will out handle the N by a good margin.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm planning on it. I've been autoxing and tracking for the past 4 years in FWD and I feel quite satisfied with what I learned. Especially after driving friends current gen FRS', they are A LOT faster than people think. I'm talking with a good driver behind the wheel, those guys are taking corners 5-10mph faster than even a Type-R. Now with the new GR86 and the new motor, they are going to be flying way faster out of those corners while carrying the same speeds in as the current gens. Tire for tire, they will out handle the N by a good margin.
I’d like to see actual numbers. jb4 map 2 upgrade and it blows the frs away in a straight line. Cornering I’d like to see numbers as well before I’m impressed.

My biggest thing is boxers sound unpleasant to me.

Also, everybody has an 86 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
2022 VN Phantom Black DCT
15 Posts
As always, best thing is to test drive the car for more than 5-10min. I usually do at least 45min to 1hr test drive. If you plan to track the car, try getting in touch with someone who does track his car. That is what I did before I got my N DCT. It's always a question of what you want to do with the car.

I also can confirm, any FRS / BRZ with proper 200 TW tires at our local track are faster than Type R's or Veloster N with stock tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, but my preference is MX-5 Miata. Although I most likely won't move on it for multiple reasons, current new car market and enjoying watching my savings/investment grow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, but my preference is MX-5 Miata. Although I most likely move on it for multiple reasons, current new car market and enjoying watching my savings/investment grow.
Edit, damn double post, no idea how this happened

·
Registered
129 Posts
I looked at them, I test drove a BRZ before test driving the N. It just doesn't have enough power for me. Doesn't help I was coming from the twin turbo Stinger. I don't need a daily, just a fun car. The N has enough power to have that straight line fun and more than enough ability to handle well on turns. If the N engine(or something similar) was in the 86, I would be ALL OVER THAT. It's still a nice car and for what it is, it's great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been tempted by this...I want some of that rwd slidey action lol but I feel I would miss the VN's violent power delivery...if only they made that rwd VN sigh

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think i matters how you drive your cars. I had a AP1 S2000 that i loved but it was boring to daily unless i drove like an ape.
I feel like the GR86 is a modern S2000 with less peak power and
I think the VN has just enough power to not be boring on the straight and traffic filled streets.

·
Registered
2021 Performance Blue VN 6MT
62 Posts
I personally would not even consider it as it cannot do family duty - the VN has no problem with our family of four. Those rear seats in the 86 are as functional as they are in a Lotus Evora.

The only GR product that would sway me from the VN is the GR Corolla hatch - I will wait until it actually comes out and then I'll check it out at that time.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
101 Posts
For a just a few grand more you can get a '22 LT1 Camaro with over 400 hp. The GR86 is too costly for what you get imo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you mind sharing your track experience, I would love to know how much wear you put on everything and how often replacements of parts such as tires and brakes were needed and how much it would cost. I am getting very tempted to tracking my own Veloster N as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I’d like to see actual numbers. jb4 map 2 upgrade and it blows the frs away in a straight line. Cornering I’d like to see numbers as well before I’m impressed.

My biggest thing is boxers sound unpleasant to me.

Also, everybody has an 86 🤷🏼‍♂️
You would actually have to go out and see it for yourself. Especially with me since I do 20+ events a year for the past 4 years. Heck, last year, I just did 10 track days with 10ish autox events mixed in.

I've beaten 300+HP cars on track and autox so HP is just a number to me. I don't even have a tune myself. As far as straight line goes, that's another metric I don't even bother paying any attention to as it has nothing to do with handling capabilities of a car. I'm not afraid to admit but I've been beaten by these cars multiple times. They are just amazing handling cars that you would have to see for yourself at events because those spec sheets and 0-60 times won't tell you what these cars are about.

Do you mind sharing your track experience, I would love to know how much wear you put on everything and how often replacements of parts such as tires and brakes were needed and how much it would cost. I am getting very tempted to tracking my own Veloster N as well.
I usually go through 2 sets a year. But since 71Rs are discontinued, the current top dog tires are the A052s and RT660s and both these wear faster than 71Rs. I went through 2 sets of A052s in 265 and a set of RT660s in 245 since the 265 was on backorder. About $3200 worth of tires.

As for brakes, I started off with a set of G-LOC R8 front and rear. Then tried out Porterfield R-4 front pads. THEN Counterspace Garage C2 front pads. The CSG C2 pads were the best I've tried so far last year and I'd buy them again. BUT they were also the most expensive as they costed $450 for the front set.

This is all an EXTREME example of how last year went for me. Normal people do 2, maybe 3 track days a year. Meanwhile, I did 10 with about 10ish autox events mixed in. If you do 2 or 3, it won't be this expensive. Say $1200 worth of tire and $600ish for brakes would be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You would actually have to go out and see it for yourself. Especially with me since I do 20+ events a year for the past 4 years. Heck, last year, I just did 10 track days with 10ish autox events mixed in.

I've beaten 300+HP cars on track and autox so HP is just a number to me. I don't even have a tune myself. As far as straight line goes, that's another metric I don't even bother paying any attention to as it has nothing to do with handling capabilities of a car. I'm not afraid to admit but I've been beaten by these cars multiple times. They are just amazing handling cars that you would have to see for yourself at events because those spec sheets and 0-60 times won't tell you what these cars are about.

I usually go through 2 sets a year. But since 71Rs are discontinued, the current top dog tires are the A052s and RT660s and both these wear faster than 71Rs. I went through 2 sets of A052s in 265 and a set of RT660s in 245 since the 265 was on backorder. About $3200 worth of tires.

As for brakes, I started off with a set of G-LOC R8 front and rear. Then tried out Porterfield R-4 front pads. THEN Counterspace Garage C2 front pads. The CSG C2 pads were the best I've tried so far last year and I'd buy them again. BUT they were also the most expensive as they costed $450 for the front set.

This is all an EXTREME example of how last year went for me. Normal people do 2, maybe 3 track days a year. Meanwhile, I did 10 with about 10ish autox events mixed in. If you do 2 or 3, it won't be this expensive. Say $1200 worth of tire and $600ish for brakes would be fine.
Oh wow that’s very impressive you actually track this car the way it’s suppose to haha. I definitely was thinking doing maybe 1 or 2 track days. But very scared cause these pirelli pzeros wear out really fast. I’ve only put 2500km on the car but you can clearly see the endives being worn. How ever the break pads seem very thick and nice still. I definitely want to do a track day just on a stock car but just wanna make sure how much of the tires life span and I taking out before I do so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh wow that’s very impressive you actually track this car the way it’s suppose to haha. I definitely was thinking doing maybe 1 or 2 track days. But very scared cause these pirelli pzeros wear out really fast. I’ve only put 2500km on the car but you can clearly see the endives being worn. How ever the break pads seem very thick and nice still. I definitely want to do a track day just on a stock car but just wanna make sure how much of the tires life span and I taking out before I do so.
The car stock will be more than fine for track use, especially if you're just if you're just starting out. These car's thermal management is pretty darn good, better than most, the OEM pads will hold up until your skill level improves and once that happens more than likely by that time I'd bet a tire upgrade would have occurred and this is where the tires stopping power starts to overwhelm the OEM pads. As for the tires, again they're pretty decent for learning wtih good audible feedback and smooth breakaway, one item to look for, once the skill level improves these Pirellis have a pretty soft sidewall that has a tendency to roll over when the lateral forces are pushed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As always, best thing is to test drive the car for more than 5-10min. I usually do at least 45min to 1hr test drive. If you plan to track the car, try getting in touch with someone who does track his car. That is what I did before I got my N DCT. It's always a question of what you want to do with the car.

I also can confirm, any FRS / BRZ with proper 200 TW tires at our local track are faster than Type R's or Veloster N with stock tires.
Here is a video on my N passing a first gen BRZ. He had 200tw tires. I had 255x35x18 Hoosier R7/A7 race tires (used, a friend had given me). To be fair though I had never driven a front wheel drive car on a track before (nor a car with race tires on a track before). And I didn’t have camber bolts then not a track alignment. Our cars are incredible. That said, I would like to test drive the née BRZ.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts