Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get the new 2021 DCT and trade in my 2016 WRX. This article came at just the right time but it looks like I will be going from a boy racer car to another boy racer car. The only issue I may have is trunk storage. I guess I'll find out when I check out the car. Paying MSRP will be pretty much unavoidable but I am sure as hell not paying any markup.

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Are you moving from a manual transmission to the automatic DCT?
If so you might be giving up a little driver involvement and engagement that you get with a manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you moving from a manual transmission to the automatic DCT?
If so you might be giving up a little driver involvement and engagement that you get with a manual.
Yes, I will go from a 6MT to a DCT. I know alot of people talk about the driver engagement factor going from manual to automatic. For me personally, I just don't care for a manual anymore. This will be the first automatic car I will purchase. I've owned nothing but manual cars for the past 16 years. I also only own one car at a time so I've driven through NYC traffic and spent hours in snowstorms clutching in and have never regretted going for 3 pedals. I just think its time for a change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made the switch to the 2021 VN DCT! I was on the fence up until the very last second on weather to get the car or not. Seeing this car on youtube made it look so small. However seeing it in person , the car is a decent size, interior doesn't feel claustrophobic and the trunk has more space than I thought. After sitting down , they gave me a monthly price which was higher than any of my calculations. I asked for a breakdown and saw they put a $3000 premium on it. The salesperson said they won't budge on that and its a car that will sell in no time. I left the showroom, got in my car, was in reverse, backing up and the salesperson comes back and knocks on my window, apologizes and asks if If they can sell it to me MSRP, I would buy the car. I said yes and bought it in Racing Red.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Congrats.
Glad you got it for MSRP.
I would never ever pay stealer mark ups.
I just picked up my N today from getting ppf on the front end.
I had to be very patient and not drive it for a few days after I got it to avoid any paint chips before he wrapped it.
I highly recommend you get paint protection film, it really does save your front end.
Paint is so thin and soft these days.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I will go from a 6MT to a DCT. I know alot of people talk about the driver engagement factor going from manual to automatic. For me personally, I just don't care for a manual anymore. This will be the first automatic car I will purchase. I've owned nothing but manual cars for the past 16 years. I also only own one car at a time so I've driven through NYC traffic and spent hours in snowstorms clutching in and have never regretted going for 3 pedals. I just think its time for a change.
Just a heads up man the driver engagement thing everyone refers to with an auto is real. I was just like you and owned nothing but manual cars for like 10 years and even had a 2013 wrx several years back full bolt on with Cobb accessport hands down my favorite car. I switched last year form a 6 speed Honda Civic Si to an automatic 2017 Audi A4 because I thought it was more practical with ATL traffic and a more family oriented car as we have 2 young kids. It checked all the boxes I wanted until I drove it for a few months and I severely missed driving stick shift. I added bolt ons and got an APR tune and this thing is quick but a month after I added everything I became disengaged driving the car and missing stick shift. So much so I bought a sim rig for racing video games like iracing etc haha don’t judge me. Long story short I have been on this forum for the last 6 months and waiting to pick up my 2021 once it hits dealers in ATL but only in a six speed. Just wanted to share my story. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's really not the end if the world.
Get yourself the DCT automatic and see how you like it.
If it works out great, if you miss the manual, then trade it in in a few years and get yourself a manual.
It's all good, the N is an amazing platform no matter which transmission you choose.
Sooooooooooo much fun to drive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Going through the dance with the dealership as we speak. Never intended to come out of my 2018 Si Coupe, test drove the DCT on Monday while my wife’s Tucson was in for a service, and all I can say is, as someone who grew up in the UK where 98% of the cars were manual when I was driving, I welcome the DCT. You still get to paddle shift, yes I realize that you’re not manually engaging the clutch but for what the DCT does, I won’t really miss the manual especially driving in realistic situations like normal Vancouver traffic. I love the car. The dealer keeps sweetening the deal to get me out of the Si. He has it in red but I really want the black with the red accents. Let’s see what happens in the next few days, I could seriously be driving the DCT by Christmas if everything works out.
Mike

·
Registered
2022 DCT VN, 2005 Honda S2000
96 Posts
TBH i find driver engagment with a manual is best with a slower car like this. Once you get into the upper 350+ hp range, you realize how little you get to actually utilize all that speed with a MT. I owned a M2 Competition and have just recently switched into a 2021 Supra. I enjoy the Supra so much more. The M2 was MT. Unless the transmission in the MT is perfect (think Porsche, s2k), its not going to feel good. I felt myself wishing i had gotten the DCT in the M2 instead. Now i have the Supra and i dont miss the MT at all. Granted i have an S2k, however i feel like for me my point stands. the S2k is only 215hp to the wheels at most. But the Supra is 388hp to the wheels. I find both have the best transmissions for their respective power levels.

·
Registered
291 Posts
TBH i find driver engagment with a manual is best with a slower car like this. Once you get into the upper 350+ hp range, you realize how little you get to actually utilize all that speed with a MT. I owned a M2 Competition and have just recently switched into a 2021 Supra. I enjoy the Supra so much more. The M2 was MT. Unless the transmission in the MT is perfect (think Porsche, s2k), its not going to feel good. I felt myself wishing i had gotten the DCT in the M2 instead. Now i have the Supra and i dont miss the MT at all. Granted i have an S2k, however i feel like for me my point stands. the S2k is only 215hp to the wheels at most. But the Supra is 388hp to the wheels. I find both have the best transmissions for their respective power levels.
Have you ever driven the manual in the Shelby gt350 with over 500hp?
That car would put a smile on anyone's face, and the exhaust note is out of this world.
You are right about Porsche manual transmissions, they are sweet.
BMW manuals can be a little rubbery.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you ever driven the manual in the Shelby gt350 with over 500hp?
That car would put a smile on anyone's face, and the exhaust note is out of this world.
You are right about Porsche manual transmissions, they are sweet.
BMW manuals can be a little rubbery.
I dont know maybe its just me. While i agree BMW transmissions arent the best, i've also driven a modded GT with 500ish HP as well as a 400hp corvette (C6 i think?) and when i compare that to also driving a McLaren 520S or even my Supra, i enjoy having an auto way more. While i'll still drive in manual mode, i think for me taking that small 1 sec break to have to clutch in and shift is enough to pull me out of the experience. If i want to go fast in a straight line, i dont want to deal with shifting and trying to make it smooth, i want to just go.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I dont know maybe its just me. While i agree BMW transmissions arent the best, i've also driven a modded GT with 500ish HP as well as a 400hp corvette (C6 i think?) and when i compare that to also driving a McLaren 520S or even my Supra, i enjoy having an auto way more. While i'll still drive in manual mode, i think for me taking that small 1 sec break to have to clutch in and shift is enough to pull me out of the experience. If i want to go fast in a straight line, i dont want to deal with shifting and trying to make it smooth, i want to just go.
I feel a manual transmission is the best driving experience in smaller, nimble, agile cars like my old Atom, Caterhams, Lotus Elise and Exige, the Veloster N, Mini Cooper, MX-5 Miata etc, where driving a slow car fast is much more fun than driving a fast car slow.
I took a Nissan GTR out and it just felt numb, like a computer game, no fun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I feel a manual transmission is the best driving experience in smaller, nimble, agile cars like my old Atom, Caterhams, Lotus Elise and Exige, the Veloster N, Mini Cooper, MX-5 Miata etc, where driving a slow car fast is much more fun than driving a fast car slow.
I took a Nissan GTR out and it just felt numb, like a computer game, no fun.
I think you hit the nail on the head. With the MT M2C, i felt like i was always driving my Fast Car Slow. However in my Supra i feel like i can drive my fast car fast. I do agree with you though, driving a slow car fast is amazing. I've owned the newer Miata, BRZ, still have my S2k, and have even dabbled in hothatches like the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, and GTI so i do tend to have a trend. The M2C was first ever "fast" car and it just felt frustrating with the MT.

I think the GTR is very video game like. Thats a common thing i've heard a lot. Hell i think the display was designed by the guy who designed GranTurismo 5 i think. I think it was the GTR. Not all high end cars are like that though. The McLaren 520s is an insane drivers car. It felt JUST like my S2000, just with double the power and paddle shifters.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I really liked the original S2k with the screaming 9,000k redline.
The shifter was one of the very best, like a bolt action rifle.
The Porsche 991.2 GT3 manual transmission is very good, and it also comes with a howling, unbelievable 9,000 rpm redline.
That is hopefully my next car if I can ever find a good used one at a reasonable price.
The motorsport sound is off the charts, intoxicating, invigorating....I like it.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Most Porsches are intoxicating, period. They are a class above most. We've owned Audi TTRS's, Lexus RCF, Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG, & Porsche 911 4S and the GT#'s are simply well ahead of the curve. The new 4.0 is a dynamic engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts