Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of selling my boomba rmm (red) and TurboTech Racing Upper Motor Mount (red and black)
shoot me offers
Used for like 1,200 miles from Texas to LA
Did not like the extra vibrations they caused
Performance wise they do a helluva a job but not for me
95% of the mounts use was highway driving so don't even fully know if the are broken in yet
Feel free to message me here, instagram or twitter
Insta: @chrisrosario_n
Twitter: @ChrisRosario_3

·
Registered
368 Posts
For any buyers piece of mind, i have the TTR upper and lower mount and after they're properly broken in, there are practically practically zero vibrations. Not sure if the boomba didn't cooperate with the TTR or if the highway miles just didnt let them break in properly but there should be little to no vibrations whatsoever once both mounts are installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For any buyers piece of mind, i have the TTR upper and lower mount and after they're properly broken in, there are practically practically zero vibrations. Not sure if the boomba didn't cooperate with the TTR or if the highway miles just didnt let them break in properly but there should be little to no vibrations whatsoever once both mounts are installed.
The boomba is stiffer than the TTR in terms of durometer, but thanks for the info!
-Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
if he takes the top motor mount, I’m interested in the lower. I was looking to get one anyway. Question: I’ve seen a lot of people get both but I’ve read it’s the lower one that eliminates the wheel hop. Is this correct? Should I get a top MM too?

·
Registered
368 Posts
if he takes the top motor mount, I’m interested in the lower. I was looking to get one anyway. Question: I’ve seen a lot of people get both but I’ve read it’s the lower one that eliminates the wheel hop. Is this correct? Should I get a top MM too?
If you plan on keeping the car long term its best to get both. The bottom one alone will usually cause alot of vibrations in the car as well as put alot more stress on the oem top motor mount. Replacing both to stiffer mounts will keep the even distribution on the mounts so they both wear evenly. If you dont plan on keeping the car for 10 years or so it wont really be a problem but it could potentially cause a failure long term

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is your impression of how things settled relative to how they were right after installation, or compared to stock? Have you tried to go back to stock mounts for a drive and compare and see if your impression of practically zero vibrations holds, or if it's been a while since you've driven the car stock and so you've just gotten used to the extra vibration and it just has mellowed with time, but still is harsher than stock?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic or doubt you, to be clear. I'm just trying to determine whether the whole thing is worth it, given that I'm looking to use my VN for daily driving purposes and vacations with friends and everything, and I'm wary of adding NVH. Given the ease of uninstalling them I'm thinking of giving it a try anyway, but I just wanted to see if you, or anyone, has gone back to stock mounts after breaking a pair of aftermarket ones in, to do a renewed comparison; better that than doing an expensive experiment and then having to put them up for sale.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I say practically because i honestly can't remember stock, and every now and then there are slight vibrations under certain circumstances. On startup for example the car shakes for a second, as well as letting the car crawl at too slow of a speed for the gear you're in, and lets say you let the clutch go a bit to early, the shock would normally be absorbed by the stock mounts but with the TTRs, it makes a violent jerk every now and then.
Its hard to explain how the car feels different, because you definitely feel a stiffness but i can't say i every felt a vibration while driving or at idle or the 1500 rpm vibrations people get.
In terms of noise, when the mounts were new, it sounded like i was in a race car. It was genuinely unbelievable how loud the car was on start up in the interior. It was incredible while it lasted, but after the mounts broke in, the noise went away which i assume the average person would prefer. For sure its probably still louder than stock in the interior though. I removed the noise maker as well so its probably the same interior volume as with the noise maker on.
The mounts dont feel like stock, the mounts completely changed how the car felt to drive imo but it didn't do anything negative for my taste.
On and if you dont have Boomba transmission bushings, get them, because a very uncomfortable side effect of the mounts was causing the gear lever to move forward and backwards in 3rd and 5th gear under acceleration. It was so strange. Both the boomba bushings solved that though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I only have the TTR rmm at the moment and was considering going back to stock at first (or adding the umm immediately) but after a while it really feels at least 95% as smooth as stock.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
as well as letting the car crawl at too slow of a speed for the gear you're in
Thanks for the detailed impressions, Mike. Given the stop-and-go traffic I encounter merging onto the bridge that's on my way to work (whenever being back in the office is a thing again), which requires low RPM and even gently breaking to below coasting in 1st, the extra vibrations might make this a non-starter for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just out of curiosity, is your impression of how things settled relative to how they were right after installation, or compared to stock? Have you tried to go back to stock mounts for a drive and compare and see if your impression of practically zero vibrations holds, or if it's been a while since you've driven the car stock and so you've just gotten used to the extra vibration and it just has mellowed with time, but still is harsher than stock?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic or doubt you, to be clear. I'm just trying to determine whether the whole thing is worth it, given that I'm looking to use my VN for daily driving purposes and vacations with friends and everything, and I'm wary of adding NVH. Given the ease of uninstalling them I'm thinking of giving it a try anyway, but I just wanted to see if you, or anyone, has gone back to stock mounts after breaking a pair of aftermarket ones in, to do a renewed comparison; better that than doing an expensive experiment and then having to put them up for sale.
For me, the NVH was noticeable from the get go. It's really prominent during the moment the clutch starts to grab when starting from a deadstop around 1500 rpms. At speed NVH is there, but minimal. The interior sound does change cause of the extra vibrations in the cabin. Makes it sound like the sound enhancer is not turned on. It's kinda weird to explain. In my case since most of the miles on the mounts are highway miles, it makes sense that the mounts have not fully broken in. I drove to Texas from LA and then back. The first drive was OEM mounts and going back was aftermarket mounts. Obviously, the drive was more enjoyable with OEM mounts due to less vibrations in the steering wheel and cabin. If you are thinking on reducing the wheel hop with mounts this is how I view the pros and cons:

Pros:
Reduced to zero wheelhop whatsoever
Car feels planted, when foot is on the gas there is no playing around it just goes!
People mention shifting is better but to me it feels the same but you can ask around.
The top mount looks soo good and engine barely moves
Cons:
NVH is increased, break in period required(will update in the future after I put more regular driving miles on the mounts
Increase in NVH means a couple of things. First, you will feel the vibrations making the car feel more raw. You can even feel slight exhaust vibrations kinda wild(Significantly reduced at speed!)
Since there are more vibrations in the cabin, the interior bolts and overall life will degrade quicker making the future rattles and creaks that come with adding miles to the car appear sooner
Noise is only prominent when starting to move. Sounds like having the stereo on a loud volume with the base cranked up. It is loud to the point that I was talking to my buddies through the car's infotainment and they were able to hear the vibrations
Rearview mirror shakes so it is harder to see

I hope that sheds some light on your question. I also autocross and have yet to autocross the mounts so I'll have an update on that once I do.
Durometer ratings(what is used to measure the stiffness of bushings,rubber etc.) for the mounts
For the RMM;
Boomba: 80 or 85(pretty sure its 85)
TTR: 75
Powerflex: 70(yellow), 80(purple), or 90(black). Powerflex replaces the rubber OEM bushing from the OEM RMM and it is like $50.

If you are really keen on reducing wheelhop, what I would do is go for the powerflex bushing, the 70 or yellow and work from there.
I hope this helps!

-Chris

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Thanks Chris, that's a very detailed response and is much appreciated. I did notice the wheel hop on hard starts, but once the car settles it's a beast. I don't mind it enough to be honest, not to have all those cons in my daily driving, especially in traffic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thinking of selling my boomba rmm (red) and TurboTech Racing Upper Motor Mount (red and black)
shoot me offers
Used for like 1,200 miles from Texas to LA
Did not like the extra vibrations they caused
Performance wise they do a helluva a job but not for me
95% of the mounts use was highway driving so don't even fully know if the are broken in yet
Feel free to message me here, instagram or twitter
Insta: @chrisrosario_n
Twitter: @ChrisRosario_3
Update!
Will try to give it more time. Mike made a very good and valid point and will give the mounts more regular daily driving to break the mounts in. I'll give an update at the end of the month after I autocross with the mounts. After that I will notify if I am selling the mounts or keeping them. I appreciate the replies and knowledge you guys have given since this is the first car I ever modify so I'm continuously learning. Obviously the price I had in mind will reduce since I am going to use them more. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.
Thanks!
-Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Chris, that's a very detailed response and is much appreciated. I did notice the wheel hop on hard starts, but once the car settles it's a beast. I don't mind it enough to be honest, not to have all those cons in my daily driving, especially in traffic.
No problem. Always willing to help!
-Chris

·
Registered
368 Posts
Update!
Will try to give it more time. Mike made a very good and valid point and will give the mounts more regular daily driving to break the mounts in. I'll give an update at the end of the month after I autocross with the mounts. After that I will notify if I am selling the mounts or keeping them. I appreciate the replies and knowledge you guys have given since this is the first car I ever modify so I'm continuously learning. Obviously the price I had in mind will reduce since I am going to use them more. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.
Thanks!
-Chris
If you have a torque wrench i recommend re torqueing the ttr mount if you havnt done so after your first hundred miles or so. While it was breaking in, a few of the bolts on mile got a little loose, and i check them every now and then but it seemed to have only happened once

·
Registered
368 Posts
.......well that’s not good. Is that for the entire time while driving?
It depends on what setup you have an your luck because it seems everyone has a different personal experience. My TTR lower and upper set up has my car driving as good as stock. I personally dont get vibrations. But i used to have a purple bushing for my lower mount and the stock upper mount and my car would constantly vibrate but only when i was on normal mode and the AC was on. And its not while driving as far as im concerned, its only at idle or when taking off from idle

1 - 20 of 40 Posts