Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what LOC have you used? Also what subwoofer and amp. Im keep it small like a 8" subwoofer. Im going to try n keep my full size spare in the back with it. I hope to tap into the factory sub in the hatch and use a LOC to put my own amp in. How did your install go? Was it worth it?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a 2017 Tucson before I traded it in on my N. With those a lot of people found that the factory sub box could be modified a little bit and an 8" kicker low pro sub could fit. They would also add polyfill to the box. Then they would wire in a signal processor and aftermarket amp under the rear cover or seat. So you kept the completely stock look and enjoyed improved bass. Not nearly as good as going with a new larger box, but not losing the stock look and functionality. I have wondered if something similar would be possible on our cars? I believe the factory box is for a 6" sub and passive radiator though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So what LOC have you used? Also what subwoofer and amp. Im keep it small like a 8" subwoofer. Im going to try n keep my full size spare in the back with it. I hope to tap into the factory sub in the hatch and use a LOC to put my own amp in. How did your install go? Was it worth it?
I bought an loc from Walmart for 10 bucks. Get a 2 channel loc, though. My VN has the infinity system, the amp is located under the front passenger seat. I wired the loc inputs to the Orange(-)/Green(+) Blue(-)/Pink(+) wires which run each voice coil for the stock sub woofer. For the power wire, I connected a piece of speaker wire to it and wired it into the power wire for the amp. For the ground wire, I attached a little metal foot to it and mounted it under a mount bolt for the stock amp. For the amp power wire, I routed it through the driver side fender, and into the main cabin through a grommet by the door hinge which comes in by the fuse panel. The remote wire i used the fuse for the power outlet. Rcas are a piece of cake. Then I tucked it all under trim panels and routed it all to the trunk. The ground wire I just drilled a random hole and mounted it under the padding. Once you got the rcas, power wire, ground wire, and remote wire, connect it to the amp you have, then the amp to sub. Tools id suggest, a 10 mm socket, philips and flathead, a good knife, wire cutters, electrical tape, drill, metal feet for the amp and loc ground wires and amp power wire (you might have extras that come with the amp and the wiring kit), duck bill pliers. It was a really simple install, minimal work involved, and the sub I have is way too powerful than I need it to be. I'm running a skar sdr d4 8 inch with a planet audio ac1200.4 in a skar sk1x8v ported box. For the the while set-up with amp 8 gauge amp kit and an loc, on Amazon i spent about 250 and im super satisfied. Been running the setup in a 2018 chevy cruze, and now the veloster and its held up really nice. Definitely don't hesitate to ask questions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought an loc from Walmart for 10 bucks. Get a 2 channel loc, though. My VN has the infinity system, the amp is located under the front passenger seat. I wired the loc inputs to the Orange(-)/Green(+) Blue(-)/Pink(+) wires which run each voice coil for the stock sub woofer. For the power wire, I connected a piece of speaker wire to it and wired it into the power wire for the amp. For the ground wire, I attached a little metal foot to it and mounted it under a mount bolt for the stock amp. For the amp power wire, I routed it through the driver side fender, and into the main cabin through a grommet by the door hinge which comes in by the fuse panel. The remote wire i used the fuse for the power outlet. Rcas are a piece of cake. Then I tucked it all under trim panels and routed it all to the trunk. The ground wire I just drilled a random hole and mounted it under the padding. Once you got the rcas, power wire, ground wire, and remote wire, connect it to the amp you have, then the amp to sub. Tools id suggest, a 10 mm socket, philips and flathead, a good knife, wire cutters, electrical tape, drill, metal feet for the amp and loc ground wires and amp power wire (you might have extras that come with the amp and the wiring kit), duck bill pliers. It was a really simple install, minimal work involved, and the sub I have is way too powerful than I need it to be. I'm running a skar sdr d4 8 inch with a planet audio ac1200.4 in a skar sk1x8v ported box. For the the while set-up with amp 8 gauge amp kit and an loc, on Amazon i spent about 250 and im super satisfied. Been running the setup in a 2018 chevy cruze, and now the veloster and its held up really nice. Definitely don't hesitate to ask questions.
Thanks this is essentially the idea I had. I was looking at skar subwoofers they have decent reviews. Look like they're hard to beat for the cost. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks this is essentially the idea I had. I was looking at skar subwoofers they have decent reviews. Look like they're hard to beat for the cost. Thanks for the information.
I was originally gonna do a two sub setup, but this single sub is way louder than I needed it to be so I stuck with just the one. It baffles me that people get subs louder than what I got and can still hear even just a little bit. Eventually I'll change out the door and dash speakers, I had some kicker csc65s in my cruze, and they were super damn nice. The speakers for the infinity system aren't terrible, but I would really enjoy a much krisper sound like the kickers. Not sure if I'll get the skar equivalent or find something better all together.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Pictures please!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just tapped the wires for the factory sub and fed that to the line level inputs of my baby sub, so no need for any other devices. I'm running the factory sub in parallel with an Infinity Basslink Mini which for me can produce way more bass than I would ever want or need even listening to mostly hiphop and electronic music.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was looking at those infinity units. Interesting. How'd you power it? Did you just run a direct wire to the battery with an inline fuse?
Yeah, just ran a fused wire from the battery. That was the hardest part of the install. The sub turns itself off after a certain period without detecting any signal from the inputs, so there are really only 6 connections total: positive, ground and +/- for left and right channels (the factory sub is dual voice coil).

I didn't take many pics during the install but this one shows all the important parts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here's what the final installation looks like. You can see where I cut a relief into the side panel so the wire bundle could pass through. I think I also cut a bunch of fins off the backside of the panel to allow the wiring to go where I wanted it to.

The combination of the factory and Infinity sub running in parallel sounds really good to my ears. You're only getting 80hz and below but in a moving car that doesn't have tons of soundproofing that's probably for the best. I found that I actually had to run the Infinity at pretty low gain and volume. I'm running the EQ flat on the headunit and I just adjust bass as needed on it. The sub does have a remote volume control which I also installed but I didn't feel like it did much of anything so I removed it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts