Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My third track day with the VN had temperatures at 95F with 60-ish% humidity and a heat index of 110F. Track surface was a nice 150F. I can only guess as to what the track temps were but I'd say around 115-120F if you were to just stand in the middle of the track and take a measurement. Heat indexes are calculated in the shade, so a track baking in the sun will be noticeably higher. Needless to say, it was hot. Very, very hot. But the VN did surprisingly well, even though I was driving it a full 10/10s. The VN is practically stock, minus brake fluid and oil and 18 inch lightweight wheels with Hankook RS4s.

-Heat soak. In these conditions, the VN did heat soak. I learned that the VN doesn't pull boost. It adjusts timing instead, as I still saw peak boost at 15.6 PSI. Peak HP was around 250, and peak torque to a huge hit at around 245 ft-lbs. According to the onboard graphs, it was consistent. There wasn't any erratic spikes or dips or anything. And as far as driving feel goes, there's a noticeable drop off past 5500RPMs. I only really noticed the power deficit on long straights. Low and mid range power felt 'normal', as the VN still had ridiculous corner exit speeds, but power would taper off at high revs on straights.

-Water temps never got above 225F which is awesome. I assume that the stock coolant is a 50/50 mix. So throughout the previous weeks before track days. I siphoned the coolant from the expansion tank and replaced it with distilled water. Drove around to mix the coolant. I did this 3 times. What I can siphon out is about 700cc each time. The final siphon, I added Water Wetter. Based on my rudimentary calculations, I'd say I'm close to 70/30 water/antifreeze mix. These water temps are pretty damn good considering how hot it was. I very much suggest a 70/30 mix with Water Wetter for any car that will see track time.

-Oil temps hovered at 250-260F with peaks of 275F. Not too bad, considering I don't have an oil cooler. I'm using a 5w40 motorsports specific oil that has an operating temperature of 250-260F and can withstand spikes to 300F. I sent an oil sample out to Blackstone to see how the oil has fared over 3 track days. I will wait for the results to see if I need to change the oil or not. Either way, the VN really is good at keeping things cool. Can it be cooler? Sure. But it's not absolutely necessary to enjoy a track day with this car. Just use a thicker than stock motorsports specific oil with a high operating temperature.

-MPGs. So my previous track days had me seeing about 13 MPG. This exceptionally hot track day had me seeing 5.5 MPGs. 93 octane is the only gas this car sees. I can only assume that the ECU is dumping A LOT of fuel in to the cylinders to keep temps in check. While the VN did heat soak and the ECU retarded timing, it never went in to limp mode. I've owned more than a couple turbo cars in the past and I can say with certainty that those past cars just went in to limp mode rather than dump fuel in to the cylinders to help keep things cool.

-Brakes. Didn't fade. Not even a little. I'm on stock pads with Motul RBF600 fluid. Brakes can be trusted.

-Check LSD notification. This popped up during the end of my 2nd session. Due to multiple factors like absurd heat, heavy track use, and my wheel weights falling off on track, it's tough to pin down the cause. Though it wouldn't surprise me if there is a heat limit for the LSD.

Check LSD notification during track day.

Link above is a separate thread I made when the notification came on. TLDR, LSD is acting normal, notification is gone, hasn't popped up since, and I can't replicate this fault without going to the track again. I hope the next track day isn't as hot, and I hope I never come across it again. This is the only blemish I've come across on an otherwise stellar car.

-Lap times. Best lap on this track was 2:03.6 on a previous track day. I was still getting used to the new tires, and there was an absurd amount of traffic. On this really hot track day, I got a 2:04.6. Even though my Hankook RS4 tires were able to heat up properly and quickly, the power and torque deficit meant I probably lost a good 2-3 seconds compared to the previous track day. If the weather had been in the 80s with lower humidity, I would have probably beat my best lap time by 2-3 seconds. My goal is to get under 2 minutes a lap with my VN as is. Tall order, but I think it can be done. Especially since there are still a few sections on track that I can do better in. There's a lot of room for improvement.

So I'm very impressed with this car. While the other turbo cars were wilting like flowers in the first session and coming in to the paddocks or doing cooldown laps, I was full send the entire time. I never did beat my lap record, but that's okay. I learned a lot about the car and how it handles extreme heat. Would I do another track day in this kind of heat again? Probably not. But at least I know that if I do, the VN can accommodate hard driving even in well above average track temperatures.

Hyundai meant every word about the VN being able to take a beating on track. With lower temps, in the 80s or even 90s with low humidity, the VN will keep going until you run out of gas and then ask for more without reducing power and torque to keep temps in check.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did the tires hold up? I've tracked 3 times on the OE wheel/tire set up and got pronounced outer edge wear the first two days.
The RS4s wear like iron. Even towards the end of the session, they never got too greasy and provided ample traction for how I like to drive. Not the fastest tire, but I'd rather have a 1-2 second slower tire per lap than a faster tire that disintegrates after 2-3 track days. I'd say I can make these RS4s last 4-6 more track days.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My third track day with the VN had temperatures at 95F with 60-ish% humidity and a heat index of 110F. Track surface was a nice 150F. I can only guess as to what the track temps were but I'd say around 115-120F if you were to just stand in the middle of the track and take a measurement. Heat indexes are calculated in the shade, so a track baking in the sun will be noticeably higher. Needless to say, it was hot. Very, very hot. But the VN did surprisingly well, even though I was driving it a full 10/10s. The VN is practically stock, minus brake fluid and oil and 18 inch lightweight wheels with Hankook RS4s.

-Heat soak. In these conditions, the VN did heat soak. I learned that the VN doesn't pull boost. It adjusts timing instead, as I still saw peak boost at 15.6 PSI. Peak HP was around 250, and peak torque to a huge hit at around 245 ft-lbs. According to the onboard graphs, it was consistent. There wasn't any erratic spikes or dips or anything. And as far as driving feel goes, there's a noticeable drop off past 5500RPMs. I only really noticed the power deficit on long straights. Low and mid range power felt 'normal', as the VN still had ridiculous corner exit speeds, but power would taper off at high revs on straights.

-Water temps never got above 225F which is awesome. I assume that the stock coolant is a 50/50 mix. So throughout the previous weeks before track days. I siphoned the coolant from the expansion tank and replaced it with distilled water. Drove around to mix the coolant. I did this 3 times. What I can siphon out is about 700cc each time. The final siphon, I added Water Wetter. Based on my rudimentary calculations, I'd say I'm close to 70/30 water/antifreeze mix. These water temps are pretty damn good considering how hot it was. I very much suggest a 70/30 mix with Water Wetter for any car that will see track time.

-Oil temps hovered at 250-260F with peaks of 275F. Not too bad, considering I don't have an oil cooler. I'm using a 5w40 motorsports specific oil that has an operating temperature of 250-260F and can withstand spikes to 300F. I sent an oil sample out to Blackstone to see how the oil has fared over 3 track days. I will wait for the results to see if I need to change the oil or not. Either way, the VN really is good at keeping things cool. Can it be cooler? Sure. But it's not absolutely necessary to enjoy a track day with this car. Just use a thicker than stock motorsports specific oil with a high operating temperature.

-MPGs. So my previous track days had me seeing about 13 MPG. This exceptionally hot track day had me seeing 5.5 MPGs. 93 octane is the only gas this car sees. I can only assume that the ECU is dumping A LOT of fuel in to the cylinders to keep temps in check. While the VN did heat soak and the ECU retarded timing, it never went in to limp mode. I've owned more than a couple turbo cars in the past and I can say with certainty that those past cars just went in to limp mode rather than dump fuel in to the cylinders to help keep things cool.

-Brakes. Didn't fade. Not even a little. I'm on stock pads with Motul RBF600 fluid. Brakes can be trusted.

-Check LSD notification. This popped up during the end of my 2nd session. Due to multiple factors like absurd heat, heavy track use, and my wheel weights falling off on track, it's tough to pin down the cause. Though it wouldn't surprise me if there is a heat limit for the LSD.

Check LSD notification during track day.

Link above is a separate thread I made when the notification came on. TLDR, LSD is acting normal, notification is gone, hasn't popped up since, and I can't replicate this fault without going to the track again. I hope the next track day isn't as hot, and I hope I never come across it again. This is the only blemish I've come across on an otherwise stellar car.

-Lap times. Best lap on this track was 2:03.6 on a previous track day. I was still getting used to the new tires, and there was an absurd amount of traffic. On this really hot track day, I got a 2:04.6. Even though my Hankook RS4 tires were able to heat up properly and quickly, the power and torque deficit meant I probably lost a good 2-3 seconds compared to the previous track day. If the weather had been in the 80s with lower humidity, I would have probably beat my best lap time by 2-3 seconds. My goal is to get under 2 minutes a lap with my VN as is. Tall order, but I think it can be done. Especially since there are still a few sections on track that I can do better in. There's a lot of room for improvement.

So I'm very impressed with this car. While the other turbo cars were wilting like flowers in the first session and coming in to the paddocks or doing cooldown laps, I was full send the entire time. I never did beat my lap record, but that's okay. I learned a lot about the car and how it handles extreme heat. Would I do another track day in this kind of heat again? Probably not. But at least I know that if I do, the VN can accommodate hard driving even in well above average track temperatures.

Hyundai meant every word about the VN being able to take a beating on track. With lower temps, in the 80s or even 90s with low humidity, the VN will keep going until you run out of gas and then ask for more without reducing power and torque to keep temps in check.
After seeing the cooling mods many Civic Type R owners do to keep going at 85F+ (new radiators, cooling pipes, intercoolers, cutting grilles and hoods) you really have to appreciate a car that you can pound on stock and lap all day. Nice report, thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After seeing the cooling mods many Civic Type R owners do to keep going at 85F+ (new radiators, cooling pipes, intercoolers, cutting grilles and hoods) you really have to appreciate a car that you can pound on stock and lap all day. Nice report, thanks!
It’s not completely invincible as I previously thought but it did well considering the conditions I placed it in.

·
Registered
2022 Performance Blue M/T
51 Posts
That's one thing I love about the VN. You give it something to do and it does it! There's nothing more satisfying than lapping constantly while others take a moment to let their cars cool off due to maybe heat issues in the engine or brakes. Last time I went it was in the low 80s and coolant stayed around 215 to 220 the whole time, while oil only spiked to 268 a couple times. One thing I did note after my third track day was a tiny bit of fade in the big corners braking from 110 to 30-40. Pedal got a little spongy after about 30 mins going 10/10, Only the big turns gave me issues though. All my fluids are stock and minor modifications are some H&R springs, roll kit, and some camber bolts to prevent that outer shoulder wear everyone has an issue with. This car LOVES camber! My stock tires are chunking a bit maybe due to overheating on my part, but the wear is great! I'll admit, I'm not a pro driver (yet??) but my tires are still looking just fine after 3 track/autox days and about 6k miles of daily driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts