Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Facebook Veloster N owners group someone has proposed a group buy for a lower temp thermostat. Does anyone have first hand experience with one of these? Did it help keep oil temps down on track days? Was there any negative effects on colder days? The proposed price would be under $100 shipped, which seems pretty decent.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

· Registered
5,073 Posts
A racing thermostat promotes greater cooling efficiency. Racing thermostat greatly lowers higher engine temperatures produced in modified turbo applications.

With engine completely warmed up, the racing thermostat opens at 40°F lower temperature of (150°F), vs (190°F) permitted by the OEM’s

Simply put, it allows coolant to circulate thru the engine sooner, reducing and maintaining consistent lower water temps.

I have a Mishmoto racing thermostat installed, which has lowered water temps and maintained water temps over sustained periods of WOT and much harder use.👍🇺🇸

· Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP 6MT
947 Posts
I think the trade-off is slightly lower mileage as I recall. If I am wrong, please correct me.

· Registered
20 VN PP MT Perf. Blue, 22 KN Sonic Blue
253 Posts
I also have the mishimoto racing thermostat. It definitely improved hot temperature operation, but if I ever take my Veloster out in colder temperatures it does struggle to stay up to temp. I have actually blocked a significant amount of airflow to my radiator and oil cooler for winter to keep the engine and oil temps sitting within a few degrees of 200°f.

the mishimoto thermostat compared to the OEM thermostat:

mishimotoOEM
Opening temp:~150°f~190°f
Distance open at 208°f (boiling point for the barometric pressure and 5000ft I was at when measuring)9.6mm6.9mm
my assumption is that flow will be increased for the racing thermostat at higher temperatures too since the it will impose less restriction on the water loop. This should increase thermal efficiency.

As to Shark racing’s thermostat, I couldn’t say, but I enjoy mine.

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
103 Posts
I also have the mishimoto racing thermostat. It definitely improved hot temperature operation, but if I ever take my Veloster out in colder temperatures it does struggle to stay up to temp. I have actually blocked a significant amount of airflow to my radiator and oil cooler for winter to keep the engine and oil temps sitting within a few degrees of 200°f.

the mishimoto thermostat compared to the OEM thermostat:

mishimotoOEM
Opening temp:~150°f~190°f
Distance open at 208°f (boiling point for the barometric pressure and 5000ft I was at when measuring)9.6mm6.9mm
my assumption is that flow will be increased for the racing thermostat at higher temperatures too since the it will impose less restriction on the water loop. This should increase thermal efficiency.

As to Shark racing’s thermostat, I couldn’t say, but I enjoy mine.
That is good to know for people living in colder weather areas. Does it struggle to keep up to temp driving normally, or just when starting? I would think an engine block heater would resolve that, although not the most convenient.

· Registered
20 VN PP MT Perf. Blue, 22 KN Sonic Blue
253 Posts
That is good to know for people living in colder weather areas. Does it struggle to keep up to temp driving normally, or just when starting? I would think an engine block heater would resolve that, although not the most convenient.
So I have completely blocked off radiator and oil cooler intake, only exposing the ram air intake to airflow. I’m also running about a 70-30 mix of water to antifreeze. With this restriction, the thermostat, and 30-40°F temperatures (at 4500 - 5000ft elevation) I’ve had on the few drives with the car I’ve been able to keep +/-10°F of 200°F on both oil and water. This includes city driving and highway driving.

I know it doesn’t look pretty, but it keeps my oil and water warm enough. Before I put on any air block I was sitting around 150°F oil and water and with two acrylic sheets it didn’t ever break 180°F. It wasn’t until I added the tape between the two sheets that I finally got 200°F. If I redid it I would just get a bigger sheet of acrylic and maybe mount on the inside of the grill to look less… well, whatever this is 😅
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille White Car

· Administrator
2,108 Posts
Maybe someone could make one that would open at 170 degrees. That probably would be the best of both worlds.

Best regards,

-Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts