Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got the Boomba short shifter on order along with the transmission adapter that's already on the car. Should shorten throws by 60% from factory with both installed. Going with a mishimoto weighted knob and extender to bring the shifter up into a better position. Less hand travel distance from steering wheel to shifter, I hate hitting my elbow on the arm rest when shifting the way the stock stick is set up.

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Brought the car in last night for an oil/filter change and finally put the SXTH HPFP and Forge Boost pipe on while I was working on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally had a chance to log pulls in maps 0,1, and 2 again. After regapping plugs from .025" to .022" and installing the msd coils the car is running much better and pulling less timing. Prior to the change I was seeing timing corrections of up to 4.5*. After the change the car isn't correcting more than 3.0* all the way to red line. Graphs of log 1 and 2 prior to change and logs 0,1, and 2 after change attached. If anyone is interested in the csv files with the raw numbers I'm happy to share.

Do attribute this improvement to the coils or the change in sparkplug gap? Also how often do you change your plugs running the JB4? I just bought my jb4 and waiting on plugs to get here.

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Honestly tough to say since I did both at the same time. I change plugs every year before I take the car out of winter storage. I'm switching from the HKS to the NGK plugs this winter. I have about 6500 miles on the HKS plugs currently in the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honestly tough to say since I did both at the same time. I change plugs every year before I take the car out of winter storage. I'm switching from the HKS to the NGK plugs this winter. I have about 6500 miles on the HKS plugs currently in the car.
Thanks for the reply! What's making you switch to NGKs ?

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Other members have given them good reviews. the grounding strap is a completely different design (slant instead of standard arch). The insulator and center electrode are completely recessed in the NGK racing plugs better protecting them from heat and stress reducing the risk of breaking a plug.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Appreciate the info! I might return the HKS for the NGKs if they are superior. Love your build man, trying to catch up over here 😅

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Switched out the HKS plugs to the NGKs a couple weeks ago. Haven't driven the car since it's in storage but during idle and free revs the car sounds better. Ignition timing on free revs looks good on all cylinders per the JB4. I also put heat shields on the coils while I had them out, thanks @Ghost for sharing. The HKS plugs were definitely worn and I did experience one spark blow out event towards the end of this past summer, hoping the NGKs give me better life and performance.

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Started to put on the seat covers today. Still need to do the back seats. The added bolstering makes for a very snug fit.
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

21 - 33 of 33 Posts