Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
It is true that it isn’t the most effective spot for the oil cooler, but it also doesn’t need to be. Looking to support the OEM oil cooler rather than totally replace it. Both together should achieve a good enough system to keep the oil from getting too hot. Major issue is how to get brake ducting in there with the oil cooler present which may be impossible entirely. :(
Yes sir it greatly reduces to availability of necessary space.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Silly question, but is there a temp difference of the coolant before and after installation of the forge oil cooler? Can you see, in real time, what the coolant temp is? I mean, if it's not impacting oil coolant temp, then any complaint about it being in front of the radiator seems ungrounded.
Maybe @RedVN knows since he’s been working on it?

From personal experience with a Fiesta ST with a front mount oil cooler the coolant temp was only slightly higher. From reading about other installs, sometimes the coolant temp is even reduced and it’s postulated that the reduction in coolant temp is because of reduced oil temps. There is a series of articles on Motoiq.com with an S2000 where they go over the pros and cons of a front mount oil cooler and basically state that a side mount is best, followed by an oil cooler behind the radiator, followed by a traditional front mount in front of the radiator.

To add fuel to the fire, when I spoke to Genracer a while back they said for sure an upgraded radiator in addition to an oil cooler would be necessary for track days in a hot climate. So who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like my cool AC 🥶 so don’t want any obstructions to the condenser if I can avoid it.

In any case, a well engineered front mount will be better than a halfway decent side mount. And the Forge unit looks to be high quality.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Silly question, but is there a temp difference of the coolant before and after installation of the forge oil cooler? Can you see, in real time, what the coolant temp is? I mean, if it's not impacting oil coolant temp, then any complaint about it being in front of the radiator seems ungrounded.
I’ll be able to better speak on this subject, once it’s in place and I’ve done some data logging.

Normally, with a reduction in oil temps, you’ll see a corresponding decrease in coolant temps as well.

For an heat exchanger to be efficient, air must be able to pass thru and around it. Hiding it behind a bumper fascia, even with ducting won’t provide enough CFM of air flow to be effective.

With it positioned directly in the on coming airstream in front of the radiator, there’s plenty of air passing thru and around to create a positive air flow and exchanging heat much more quickly and efficiently.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Maybe @RedVN knows since he’s been working on it?

From personal experience with a Fiesta ST with a front mount oil cooler the coolant temp was only slightly higher. From reading about other installs, sometimes the coolant temp is even reduced and it’s postulated that the reduction in coolant temp is because of reduced oil temps. There is a series of articles on Motoiq.com with an S2000 where they go over the pros and cons of a front mount oil cooler and basically state that a side mount is best, followed by an oil cooler behind the radiator, followed by a traditional front mount in front of the radiator.

To add fuel to the fire, when I spoke to Genracer a while back they said for sure an upgraded radiator in addition to an oil cooler would be necessary for track days in a hot climate. So who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like my cool AC 🥶 so don’t want any obstructions to the condenser if I can avoid it.

In any case, a well engineered front mount will be better than a halfway decent side mount. And the Forge unit looks to be high quality.
There’s no obstruction of the condenser as air passes thru the oil cooler. There is no restriction of air flow.

Jeff, from GenRacer is correct. If pushed to the upper limits of the engines performance for a longer period of time on the track, a larger core radiator & oil cooler is needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A data point here: I just ran 5 30 minute track sessions in 100-102 ambient temps pushing the car real hard. With oil cooler oil temps never crossed 250 and coolant temps were good the whole time as well.

I was seeing 280+ oil temps before the install in 85 degrees so who knows how bad it would have been yesterday. Few other turbo cars had to limp in due to oil temps.

Very happy with this buy. I have the standard front mount airtec.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm gonna ask here because this affects us a bit more, what's the consensus on the diff oil situation ? Lifetime fluid isnt a thing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm gonna ask here because this affects us a bit more, what's the consensus on the diff oil situation ? Lifetime fluid isnt a thing.
Sure it is. Guaranteed to last the lifetime of the differential. Which won't be very long if you keep the original fluid in there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
And now this. Front tyres didnt like the toasty weather (and shitty track conditions, no rubber), and brakes were just about adequate-ish if you only did two hotlaps at a time, pads wouldnt be a bad thing to have lol. ABS is kinda meh as well. Also needs either a slightly bigger rear swaybar and/or a staggered setup ideally. Anyhow, easily won my class and messed with cars a few classes up, was between Top 5-10 out of 50 cars all day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey y'all, just finished another track day at Willow Springs International Raceway on Sunday. The event was again on the Streets of Willow CW track and boy was it hot. The high of the day was 105 degrees! Unlike before, oil temps were kept at a good level after switching to LiquiMoly 5W-40 with the highest temp being 265 degrees (Did 2 cool down laps between 3 hot laps each session).

The car was exactly the same as my first track day except for new front pads and a bit more camber in the rear. Somehow I managed to squeeze a 1:31.839 which was 2 seconds faster than my pervious PB! Honestly not sure how I pulled this :LOL:.

Changes from previous setup:
EBC Yellow Front Pads
1 Degree Camber front (all that I can get until I get coilovers) , 2 degrees camber rear (with some toe out)

The EBC pads performed great for the price and I felt only a little brake fade by the end of my sessions.

Edit: Almost forgot to talk about the tires!
Hankook RS4's are holding up very well despite two separate track days in hot conditions. They live up to their name in being a enduro 200 treadwear tire and I'm very happy that I decided to switch to them. They did overheat after a few laps but it was expected with the heat. I plan to continue using this tire into the future for my daily/track driving. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
If anyone is wondering about weight, here's from my time attack from yesterday.

Canadian 2021, with not quite a full tank, with me in it (135ish lbs), front axle weight diff is spot on, whilst also having cross weight be perfect. Very well setup. 63.7% front bias.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey y'all, just finished another track day at Willow Springs International Raceway on Sunday. The event was again on the Streets of Willow CW track and boy was it hot. The high of the day was 105 degrees! Unlike before, oil temps were kept at a good level after switching to LiquiMoly 5W-40 with the highest temp being 265 degrees (Did 2 cool down laps between 3 hot laps each session).

The car was exactly the same as my first track day except for new front pads and a bit more camber in the rear. Somehow I managed to squeeze a 1:31.839 which was 2 seconds faster than my pervious PB! Honestly not sure how I pulled this :LOL:.

Changes from previous setup:
EBC Yellow Front Pads
1 Degree Camber front (all that I can get until I get coilovers) , 2 degrees camber rear (with some toe out)

The EBC pads performed great for the price and I felt only a little brake fade by the end of my sessions.

Edit: Almost forgot to talk about the tires!
Hankook RS4's are holding up very well despite two separate track days in hot conditions. They live up to their name in being a enduro 200 treadwear tire and I'm very happy that I decided to switch to them. They did overheat after a few laps but it was expected with the heat. I plan to continue using this tire into the future for my daily/track driving. :)
What did you do to get 1 degree of camber? Did cam bolts just not gain you very much? Or did you find a way to gain a slight amount of camber without bolts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
What did you do to get 1 degree of camber? Did cam bolts just not gain you very much? Or did you find a way to gain a slight amount of camber without bolts?
The 1 degree of camber in the front is just how much play there is stock. I asked for as much camber as I could get from the front when I had it aligned for a track weekend. Still waiting on coilovers from Yellowspeedracing to really tune the VN into a track weapon.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Managed to make it out to Buttonwillow Raceway a couple weeks back before it got too hot. First impressions were great and I loved the track from the get go (first time I’ve been to Button). Unfortunately, temps that day ran as high as 102 degrees so there was a lot to be desired. Still managed to run a 2:11.695 @ ambient temps of 100 degrees. Definitely more than a couple seconds in there to be gained with better conditions and better lines.

Here’s a quick snippet from the day with some rear wheel lift action:

(As you might gather, I may have spun a few times off track)

41 - 60 of 64 Posts