Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Long post ahead.. hope not too long.
Just read this. I saw in a post someone started around there and said it was perfect. I did my first autox in it a few weeks ago and was pretty surprised with how resilient the tires were to rolling over. I had them pretty low to get more grip, but started around 37 yesterday. It was cold..

Mid 40's and they got up to around 40-41. Once things dried out, they started to squeel. But combined with my cautious driving and the wet surface, they were pretty quiet in the rain. I drove in n-custom with everything except stability control and rev match at sport+. Stability stayed on sport and rev match stayed off (heel-toe ftw!). And stability control ftw too! Yesterday was a sh1t-ton of fun! I haven't been this giddy in a while! The car was a total blast! I was in the beginner group but my instructor knew me from back when he used to autox, so there was some established trust already. The course was pretty simple but I still had a tough time sticking to the line at times but my instructor kept me more or less there without being too authoritative (let me screw up so I could see what I did). The 4 20 min sessions were awesome (I'm used to 4-6 45 second runs when autoxing). It was also nice not getting wrapped up in lap times. Although, I can see myself wanting to to time myself eventually. The high speed was also awesome. On stock tires, I wasn't really able to drive hard when autoxing, but on track, they did phenomenal! I had one early almost spin that I caught and another later one... Seemed to be a result of trail breaking, which I wasn't supposed to be doing but at the end of the straight was hitting like 104 ish and didn't have the balls to huck in. Later on, I felt the difference when I had none in front of me. Lots of stability to be had by not braking in the turn. The straight was a part of the banked Nascar circuit and must be treated like a corner. It's just that for most of it, I'm full throttle. After my third session, When it had dried out, my instructor took me out in his c7 grand sport on racing slicks. Dayyumm... My god that thing is fast! My neck was sore for the rest of the day. I saw 127 at the end of the straight and we were hauling much quicker just about everywhere.. I could see his line in certain spots and tried to mimick on my last session. Jumping back in the N, it felt a bit like a Prius. But still charging hard on that straight, wringing out 3rd and far into 4th was really exhilarating. Oh, and pushing my breaking zones in the Twisties was great fun as well. I had no issues with my brakes either. Stock everything including pads and rotors. It's nice that I didn't have to worry about that stuff. Change out oil, bleed brakes, check tire pressures, and go. Granted, it was cold. Could be a different story on a 80-90 degree day. Anyone that is hesitant about tracking their baby, I hope this helps inspire you some. I know what I'll be day dreaming of for a good while.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm interested in a wheel/tire combo that I can use for both autox and hpde. I'm looking at 18x8 wheels and 255/40-18 falken RT660's which would be a very competitive autox tire. Would the tire be too balooney on the 18x8's to be any good on the track? They're a soft 200 tread wear tire... Since I plan on running my N in D street, I can't get more than about -1 degree of camber up front out of the stock setup. ... I have thought about running street touring class so I can run a proper wheel/tire combo. But I think it would be fun to race autox competitively. Will I be wrecking my tires during hpde's in short order because they are fast wearing and because -1 isn't much camber? There are a bunch of guys running that size tire on that size wheel that are not rubbing on their fenders or stock suspension.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
440 Posts
I would not run 255 on an 8 inch wheel. It cant be done but it is not ideal. Sidewall will flex or you will have to counteract with excess high tire pressures.

-JE

·
Registered
120 Posts
Finally had the opportunity to take it on track. I got a cheap set of 18x8s with 245 NT01s, so running that for now. It's a bit pushy, would prefer staggered but it'll do for now. Otherwise have SPC camber bolts. Rest is bone stock, including brakes.

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
440 Posts
Finally had the opportunity to take it on track. I got a cheap set of 18x8s with 245 NT01s, so running that for now. It's a bit pushy, would prefer staggered but it'll do for now. Otherwise have SPC camber bolts. Rest is bone stock, including brakes.
Smmmmmmooooooooooottttthhhhhhh INPUTS. You worked with the car well - not against it.

Good drivers make it look easy. Well done.

-JE

·
Registered
104 Posts
Got my first track day under my belt this past Memorial day at Streets of Willow CW. It was a very hot day with ambient temps reaching 100 degrees. Was running 1:37’s during the hottest parts of the morning/afternoon but was able to get away with a 1:33.891 in the last session after some cloud cover + wind cooled brought temps down to 90 degrees. My buddy who uses a Civic Type R and A90 Supra in TA and SuperLapBattle was really impressed by the N’s performance.

For anybody interested, here was my setup:
235/45/18 Hankook RS4 on 18x8.5 wheels
Whiteline 24mm rear sway bar + endlinks (great rotation on these)
Velossa Tech Snorkel + AFE Momentum CAI
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs gapped .28
Motul RBF600 DOT 4 Brake fluid

·
Registered
522 Posts
Got my first track day under my belt this past Memorial day at Streets of Willow CW. It was a very hot day with ambient temps reaching 100 degrees. Was running 1:37’s during the hottest parts of the morning/afternoon but was able to get away with a 1:33.891 in the last session after some cloud cover + wind cooled brought temps down to 90 degrees. My buddy who uses a Civic Type R and A90 Supra in TA and SuperLapBattle was really impressed by the N’s performance.

Thanks for the post! What were your oil and coolant temps like in that heat?
And what offset wheels are you running?

·
Registered
32 Posts

That's awesome to hear, man. I have no idea what those times mean, but whatever, right? As long as your having fun!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the post! What were your oil and coolant temps like in that heat?
And what offset wheels are you running?
Oil temps reached a high of 280 degrees due to poor lap management in the morning (should have had more cool down laps between the hot laps). Don’t remember what my coolant levels were sorry. My wheels are offset +45 and it’s a perfect fitment. Definitely gonna get an oil cooler for the car maybe in front of the radiator but might fab a spot under the headlights and cut that fake vent prices to make it usable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's awesome to hear, man. I have no idea what those times mean, but whatever, right? As long as your having fun!
Definitely had a blast! Will be tracking this summer again here soon. It’s hard to compare my times vs. others on track as the transponders were being very wonky all day. However, my friend in a S2000 set a best time of 1:27 that day. Not bad for a FWD with no LSD!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Oil temps reached a high of 280 degrees due to poor lap management in the morning (should have had more cool down laps between the hot laps). Don’t remember what my coolant levels were sorry. My wheels are offset +45 and it’s a perfect fitment. Definitely gonna get an oil cooler for the car maybe in front of the radiator but might fab a spot under the headlights and cut that fake vent prices to make it usable.
Appreciate it! Yup, 280°F is high. I’d rather a side mount oil cooler unit as well in order to prevent obstruction of airflow to the condenser and radiator. The only available radiator of which I’m aware is $1300 so it’s not a cheap upgrade. But with the availability of the front mount coolers it’s an easier upgrade path that way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Appreciate it! Yup, 280°F is high. I’d rather a side mount oil cooler unit as well in order to prevent obstruction of airflow to the condenser and radiator. The only available radiator of which I’m aware is $1300 so it’s not a cheap upgrade. But with the availability of the front mount coolers it’s an easier upgrade path that way.
BAR-TEK makes an oil cooler for the i30n which should be directly compatible with our car. Just need to extend the hoses and make a mounting for it and it should work fine.

Edit: Looks like somebody already has done it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/veloster/comments/ds66x1

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
The Forge Motorsport Oil Cooler Kit will be the only one designed fit the VN. Any of the units designed for the i30N including the Airtech or Bar-Tek won't work, without modification and be directly in the incoming air flow.

The Forge Motorsport unit will . Final prototype stage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Forge Motorsport Oil Cooler Kit will be the only one designed fit the VN. Any of the units designed for the i30N including the Airtech or Bar-Tek won't work, without modification and be directly in the incoming air flow.

The Forge Motorsport unit will . Final prototype stage.
This could be a good option for those wanting a mid mount. Modification is gonna be required for a side mount anyways and the fab work behind it shouldn’t be much trouble. However, any oil cooler should work just like the Mishimoto above! :D

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Problem is with a side mount, it’s hiding behind the bumper fascia in the fender well It’s placement isn’t the in the airstream, where it’s most effective as a heat exchanger. Both the front and back of the cooling element needs to have air moving around and thru it to be efficient and effective.

Looking at the positioning and location of the side mount, it’s efficiency is reduced by more than 40%. I can work it out mathematically but it’s a fairly accurate guess.

The side mount is positioned in a neutral airspace.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Problem is with a side mount, it’s hiding behind the bumper fascia in the fender well It’s placement isn’t the in the airstream, where it’s most effective as a heat exchanger. Both the front and back of the cooling element needs to have air moving around and thru it to be efficient and effective.

Looking at the positioning and location of the side mount, it’s efficiency is reduced by more than 40%. I can work it out mathematically but it’s a fairly accurate guess.

No doubt the side mount won’t work very well without proper ducting and a means to exhaust the air into the wheel well. However, many OEMs use this location for additional coolers - Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc so it can work. It’s just a matter of opening up the garnish, proper ducting to the cooler, and a vent into the wheel well. That’s no small project, but doable. At least 2 companies I know of make this setup for the Civic Type R alone. I’d gladly pay an extra $250 or so for a proper side mount. Not knocking the center mount; would just prefer a side mount.

·
Registered
104 Posts

It is true that it isn’t the most effective spot for the oil cooler, but it also doesn’t need to be. Looking to support the OEM oil cooler rather than totally replace it. Both together should achieve a good enough system to keep the oil from getting too hot. Major issue is how to get brake ducting in there with the oil cooler present which may be impossible entirely. :(

·
Registered
288 Posts
It is true that it isn’t the most effective spot for the oil cooler, but it also doesn’t need to be. Looking to support the OEM oil cooler rather than totally replace it. Both together should achieve a good enough system to keep the oil from getting too hot. Major issue is how to get brake ducting in there with the oil cooler present which may be impossible entirely. :(
Unless you are using the car competitively, I don't think brake ducting is necessary. You can upgrade the calipers & rotors to help with heat dissipation, but the ducting is a bit extra. Alternatively you could just use a different area for the feed to the brake ducts, or just mount your oil cooler in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Silly question, but is there a temp difference of the coolant before and after installation of the forge oil cooler? Can you see, in real time, what the coolant temp is? I mean, if it's not impacting oil coolant temp, then any complaint about it being in front of the radiator seems ungrounded.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts