Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the car officially has a name. And all thanks to my daughter but I about pissed myself when she told me the name why she has it. so my N is about 60 days old. Just crossed 1200 miles and done a few little things. Break in oil change a 1K, do not recommend Ken Garff, the actual oil change process was awesome, great incoming inspection all video logged. It was really the tool who drove her to the parts area for the filter and back to the service bay... all 500 ft. The tool full throttled her in the little lot, like you can even get up in speed, just to get on the brakes and complain that the papers flew off the dash.....

So far I have done little things.
LED lights all around, the most impressive is the highbeams. Lasfit LAplus 9005s are NICE! But so are the turn signals and backup lights.
Weathertech mats
Blackvue front and rear dash cam (waiting on the rear until tinted).
Boomba motor mount
Boomba shift bushings
Boomba shift linkage plate thingie

Today I installed the ADDw1 catch can V3.3. This was not without issues but ADDW1 worked awesomely with me to fix the issues and I will be buying a 2nd V3 catch can to take care of the filter on the CCV port. Other than the little mail issue, the can is great and looks awesome. Plus it does not fit in the headlight area behind the drivers headlight that I think (just a guesstimate) will interfere with the AFE intake.

Next up... to be installed when the weather holds and I have some timee work. The Forge FMIC. I about pooped myself when they said "delivered" but my family said... nothing showed. Dumb luck, they were heading to the store and my daughter (14 years old and AWESOME), shouts out... mom. Look there is a Forge box on the door step across the block, I bet that is dads intercooler. Low and behold, it was. They go to the house, knock on the door, step away (COVID19) and ask if they can take our package off the doorstep. Awesome delivery guy got NOTHING right, neither number was close to my place and what was marked on the packing slip. I am thankful my daughter put 1 and 1 together. But hopefully in the next little while I will get this and the velossatech big mouth (red on white body) installed. Figured this was as good as any place on here to document the build.

The build may be slower going than I wanted due to COVID19 but Im glad to be able to do something with her here and there and feel for all my brother and sisters laid off in this difficult time.

FYI, the name of the car.. my Xterra is named Leeloo (from 5th element... leeloominai lekatariba lamina-tchai ekbat de sabat. IE leeloo, AKA supreme being, AKA perfect). Which I feel my X is. Heavily modified, turns head, pasty white and dam good looking... just like Milla Jovovich. However, this little girl, all plastic, balls the wall, built for speed is SO much different. The X is fully armored, the N.... NOPE, lord forbids the day someone get into the side of her. This explains the dash cams (both on her and leeloo and my youtube channel "utspoolup" documenting some stupidity. But she has get up and go when she needs it and the ability to handle. Im not going to lie, leeloo has left rubber doughtnuts on 3 vehicles doors/ fenders in the 5 years I have had here. None my fault. But meaty 33s with aggressive sidelugs is not something you want to mess with, not counting the over 1,000 lbs of steel I have added to her. But due to the lift, wheels, and weight, she is a SLUG when driving. So fast forward to last week or so when on lock down due to COVID19. We are watching movies from my server and we select "Wreck it Ralph"... then half way thru my daughter says... thats her name dad, Vanellope. Fast, crazy little white girl, glitching all of the place. I cried laughing but the name has stuck.

Hope no one minds the post but I will keep adding to it over the next while as I do the mods here and there. But just driving her around is awesome. Sort of like my 96 eclipse turbo (jasmine.. fun little stripper name), just not as fast, but fun when she needs to be.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Quick question, why does the catch can have 3 ports lol I've never seen that before

Ok so i see that its routed into the intake and you have a filter where the original line used to go. Im not familiar with this, but i am interested.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Its suppose to do the work of both catch cans in one assy. It does have A LOT of plumbing, 2 check valves (1 each on the larger 15mm lines), been getting a lot of talk in the other Hyundai forums, but then they released one specific to the N but only thru their site so I ordered. As mentioned, they did have a few little issues, but the company was great to resolve them, fast to resolve them and later sent me the N specific bracket, which is what you see in the photos as at first I had a 2 piece bracket. I am still going to get a universal catch can of theirs to add back in the left rear side off the ground mount like Ghost and Utah motorosports did. The filter will eventually ooze stuff, so adding this 2nd can will prevent a little crap no the back side of the engine and keep me legal for SMOG if ever checked.I doubt that this 2nd catch can will ever catch anything but i'm anal retentive so why not... the catch can is really only needed on the PCV side and this setup definitely covers the PCV. I will have to T the line near the turbo inlet, but I need to wait until I get my intake and turbo inlet to make sure it all fits and I do it in the right place. Its only hose so it cheap, but again I like things to look good as well (hence the 2nd photo of resetting the hose clamps to get everything lined up better visually.

I really like the boomba kit except CCV side I think will eventually get taken over by the intake. This kit has 2 different sized fittings to prevent having to chop into the factory hoses, but they you lose the awesome preset bends with the factory which makes install a bit of a PITA. Boomba got around this by cutting the hose and coupling into it which is an awesome idea. This ADD kit will suck when I fill the washer tank, that is for sure. Not impossible just an added step of either removing the 9mm side hose, or using a funnel to get into the slight opened tank. Either way I have the things in the house to do it, or in the car, the mini tool kit can pull the hose.

But I can remove the reservoir without removing the can mount on this setup, cant do that on the boomba very easily if at all. No system is perfect, but the ADD one does allow you to customize if for you visual liking. Carbon, different colors, etc. JoseReyes69 did a blue setup and it looks sharp!

Hopefully I can get the vellasatech and FMIC installed next weekend.

·
Registered
368 Posts

Its suppose to do the work of both catch cans in one assy. It does have A LOT of plumbing, 2 check valves (1 each on the larger 15mm lines), been getting a lot of talk in the other Hyundai forums, but then they released one specific to the N but only thru their site so I ordered. As mentioned, they did have a few little issues, but the company was great to resolve them, fast to resolve them and later sent me the N specific bracket, which is what you see in the photos as at first I had a 2 piece bracket. I am still going to get a universal catch can of theirs to add back in the left rear side off the ground mount like Ghost and Utah motorosports did. The filter will eventually ooze stuff, so adding this 2nd can will prevent a little crap no the back side of the engine and keep me legal for SMOG if ever checked.I doubt that this 2nd catch can will ever catch anything but i'm anal retentive so why not... the catch can is really only needed on the PCV side and this setup definitely covers the PCV. I will have to T the line near the turbo inlet, but I need to wait until I get my intake and turbo inlet to make sure it all fits and I do it in the right place. Its only hose so it cheap, but again I like things to look good as well (hence the 2nd photo of resetting the hose clamps to get everything lined up better visually.

I really like the boomba kit except CCV side I think will eventually get taken over by the intake. This kit has 2 different sized fittings to prevent having to chop into the factory hoses, but they you lose the awesome preset bends with the factory which makes install a bit of a PITA. Boomba got around this by cutting the hose and coupling into it which is an awesome idea. This ADD kit will suck when I fill the washer tank, that is for sure. Not impossible just an added step of either removing the 9mm side hose, or using a funnel to get into the slight opened tank. Either way I have the things in the house to do it, or in the car, the mini tool kit can pull the hose.

But I can remove the reservoir without removing the can mount on this setup, cant do that on the boomba very easily if at all. No system is perfect, but the ADD one does allow you to customize if for you visual liking. Carbon, different colors, etc. JoseReyes69 did a blue setup and it looks sharp!

Hopefully I can get the vellasatech and FMIC installed next weekend.
Interesting. Thanks for the info,
Ill definitely be keeping up with your build

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spent a majority of the day under or in front of the car. Intake, FMIC, motor mount, Velossatech, and a few other things done. Shes coming together pretty nicely.

Downpipe is on its way, so maybe weekend after next it will be on.Still looking at a piggy back tuner. Still getting funner each time I drive her.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
Wow, she looks like my car. Love the inter cooler. Check out the Scorcher by Afe for a piggyback. I LOVE mine!!! It's on sale as we speak for 357 bucks and free shipping.... Good luck with the build. Seems to be coming along quite nicely. :)

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at racechips but maybe the scorcher is in the mix. Ill need new plugs either way so those are on order, but I have 24 hours to research the scorcher. Unfortunately not much you the net about it for our car, but every one seems to like it for the other builds...... Tempting.

Anyone want to sway my opinion either way let me know and thanks for your input Ghost and others.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
Here is a great plug that everyone runs including myself:

You'll need better plugs regardless of which piggyback you choose. NGK1422's are not bad either. Way less expensive. That's what was used before the HKS came out. I have the HKS and like them a lot. Hope this helps?

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: utspoolup

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, Already ordered the HKS, just need to pick the tuner. Between smoking some butts and setting up the outdoor projector I have been reading reviews and watching some videos. Its never easy to just toss money, so I try to make sure it is what I want first. Thanks Ghost.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
Oh no problem. I like helping. I honestly was not in the market for the Scorcher until it went from 420 (lol... ;) to 357, I just said phuck it. The best mod so far. Can torch through 3 gears on "red-race" mode. Needless to say, don't use that much. And the exhaust note changes to a deeper sound too which I love....! Ha, ha... I am sure you will be happy with what ever you get.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
Also, check out the Tekada intake and Yames turbo tube too. Friggin' awesome combo. Especially with the down pipe and the inter-cooler. Your car would be a beast for sure....

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Already done.. Intake was installed, and as soon as Yames says "they are available" I will be in like donkey kong on a red one.

Also I just bought the scorcher.

So be it no N specific on youtube, everyone that has one says it is awesome from the Elantra to BMW to Ford Fseries. Just trying to get a little more power out of the N, it wont be my DSM but she can turn and has creature comforts where the DSM was drag only. Heck, she didn't even have a dash, and only one seat, the sunroof when it finally broke was replaced with a piece of Carbon Fiber sheet some aluminum brackets, pop rivets, and RTV. Everyone local new the license plate, debating getting it on the N, but I know a few who dont know me will get mad thinking I stole it not realizing it was mine. But Im also scared if I get that plate everyone and their mom will want to race and this simply isnt a drag car. So I still thinking of what I want to do on the tag.

Thanks for the help Ghost and if ever you Utah shoot me a PM for free grub or whatnot.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
I have some pics of my install of the Scorcher switch if you'd like them? It needs to be wired from the cabin to the engine bay. Just let me know. It's generally a very easy install but getting the wire into the engine bay is a *****! lol... Plus, you need to modify the grommet tube the hood release cable runs through. That's how you need to get the switch in. If you need help, jlmk.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quick question, why does the catch can have 3 ports lol I've never seen that before
That third line is acting as a secondary vacuum source for when the intake manifold is pressurized. With this setup the filter he put on the CCV port should always be acting as a fresh air inlet for the crankcase and everything that gets sucked into the engine, whether through the PCV or the intake pipe has gone through the catch can. It's a clever idea and I hope it works well. I'd probably be interested in something like this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spent a majority of the day under or in front of the car. Intake, FMIC, motor mount, Velossatech, and a few other things done. Shes coming together pretty nicely.

Downpipe is on its way, so maybe weekend after next it will be on.Still looking at a piggy back tuner. Still getting funner each time I drive her.
I've been waiting to have my Forge Intercooler installed for a while now but thinking about doing it myself, I could use that labor money to buy more parts 😁 . I've done some mechanical work but never used a grinder (lol) and wondering if a newbie like me should take a whack at it?

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
It's not that hard. Some one made a template to go by. Maybe they will chime in? Plus, there are two YouTube videos.

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: Rello410

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agreed, The grinding is easy. Just go slow, work it to finish and do a little touch up. Its Aluminum so its soft material. Just watch for the burrs to grab and throw your bit. Even if you do get a little kick, it will not hurt anything from a quick skip. The intercooler is great, install is a breeze. The worst part for me was the stupid tamper proof clamps that Hyundai used on theirs hoses. You can screw with them to break the off, or just go after them with a pair of channel locks, once they are started to become loose you just spin them off by hand. The worst one is the one at the turbo outlet since it is on top of the hose and harder to manipulate with channel locks. Really an easy mod, just take your time and watch the youtube videos a few times to freshen up your skill on the disassembly.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts