Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone hope all is well. I’m getting pretty close to being fbo and am starting to look into dp for the n. As of now I’m kinda stuck between two which are the best prices out as of now. First one is the depo racing downpipe made from a private vendor. Second would be the xforce downpipe which has a 4in inlet and tapers to a 3in outlet.Money is not the issue so any recommendations are welcomed however we are talking about a piece of piping which doesn’t justify sxth elements price.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Downpipe selection needs to be purposeful. If there's no plan upgrade the small OEM turbocharger, then a a large diameter downpipe outlet isn't needed. A consideration has to be made as to how the VN is going to be driven the majority of the time. If the VN is going to be driven as a daily and the owner is wishing to keep the lower end performance and throttle response, the larger diameter downpipe isn't needed and will actually hurt low end performance. There is a certain amount of back pressure that is needed to help the little turbo perform at its optimal efficiency. If the VN is driven more than 50% of the time at higher rpms 4500 and above, along with a larger turbocharger, then it can take advantage of the increased exhaust scavenging the little OEM turbocharger can't.

I've already tested and found this to be true on the dyno.

The SXTH Element is a bit more than a piece of piping along with most of those that are engineered to produce good horsepower gains across the rpm range. However not all are alike. The Depo Racing pipe is a bare bones model without the heat shield attachments, that are really needed to keep down the heat soak. Don't bother emailing them they won't add them.

The search engine at the top of the page, does wonders for finding threads and topics of discussion;

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The search engine at the top of the page, does wonders for finding threads and topics of discussion;
Have seen all of these but I think you missed the point of the discussion 👍🏾

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Have seen all of these but I think you missed the point of the discussion 👍🏾
Money is not the issue any recommendations are welcomed however we are talking about a piece of piping which doesn’t justify sxth elements price.
Price denotes quality in most all cases. Longevity, has to do with quality of manufacturer and denotes added performance as well. If "Money is not the issue " then I'd be looking for a better downpipe. Recommendations above based upon performance, manufacturing quality and overall understanding.

No I didn't miss anything actually. It looks to me, you're going for the cheapest two downpipes available. I gave you and alternative and explained why. If you want the two cheapest quality downpipe available, then have at it. If you're looking for the best price and quality available, you need to look elsewhere. At least give yourself additional options not limiting that selection based upon price,
Scorpion downpipe;
Additionally you haven't specified which type of downpipe, with cat or with out? The two you've selected are the cheapest manufactured downpipes available and provide no retention of the OEM heat shields.:)(y)

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
I went with the Scorpion down-pipe and then had it Jet Hot coated in 2500 degree coating. The Scorpion has the heat shielding pegs, it is stainless, and has a velocity stack entering the down-pipe. You have to buy a J-Bend for the O2 sensor and it comes with all the applicable gaskets. It cost me $585 dollars and that was with the shipping from the UK. It only took about 2 weeks to get here too. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with the Scorpion down-pipe and then had it Jet Hot coated in 2500 degree coating. The Scorpion has the heat shielding pegs, it is stainless, and has a velocity stack entering the down-pipe. You have to buy a J-Bend for the O2 sensor and it comes with all the applicable gaskets. It cost me $585 dollars and that was with the shipping from the UK. It only took about 2 weeks to get here too. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Best regards,

-Mike
Scorpion is a great alternative.
thanks for the input red and ghost. In the end I went with the cat less downpipe from depo racing that way I can also order wagners intercooler. Will update everyone once I receive and install ✌🏾

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use some heat shielding. I don’t recommend wrapping. Consider the jet hot coating as Mike did.
Why do you not recommend wrapping? I was planning on doing that but am now having second guesses. Will probably end up jet coating but will need to get a quote first. I also just noticed a little oil leak on my valve cover today while doing my spark plugs😀 would definitely suggest checking yours as well.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
When wet, holds the water against the pipe, especially overnight and when washed then parked overnight, which causes rust damage. Makes a mess of the pipe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts