Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Well update for the spare. It only fits in the hatch area at around 20psi and it's a squeeze. I have been asked about a hold down. I have the scissor jack, it's tool to jack up, the tow hook, and a collapsible 1/2" breaker bar with a 21mm socket... all in a leather bag under the tire. Also the inflator is under the tire as well. The tire is squeezed so tight it isn't moving. I fully feel in a rollover it wouldn't budge. It's a hassle to get in and out. A bit of a process. Also with it on, I do get the mismatched tire error and I drove like molasses just in case.

I ended up with 2 new Nitto 555 G2s in oem size on the oem PP rims up front. The new Nittos have a different lip and actually fully conceal the nick on the lip of my rim.

The Nittos don't handle any better or worse than the Pirellis and have slightly more straight line traction with a 300 treadwear rating vs 280 of the stockers.

They feel more compliant and softer over bumps, but I don't feel any rollover in hard cornering.

The big reason for choosing the 555 G2s was tire ship time. Most other tires I was looking at were in California and would take a week. These were in GA. I was itching to get back in the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here’s the conclusion of my VN spare tire project:

$$ Purchased 2013 Genesis alloy 4x18 wheel (came with 155/80-18 tire).
$$ Purchased new 125/70-18 compact tire (previously noted same as i30N spare). Used manual tire changer to swap the tires. Made custom tire hold down w/ 8mm x 1.25 x 60mm hex bolt to keep spare secure.
$ Purchased scissor jack from older get Elantra.
Having peace of mind (at least for me) from a real spare tire... priceless!

Fully inflated spare fits perfect in the well with room to... er... spare. Jack tucked off to the side (to keep from bouncing around). Threw the stock compressor back in along with the other std items (tow hook, screwdriver, etc). Floor replaced and sits perfectly flat to stock position.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fully inflated spare fits perfect in the well with room to... er... spare. Jack tucked off to the side (to keep from bouncing around). Threw the stock compressor back in along with the other std items (tow hook, screwdriver, etc). Floor replaced and sits perfectly flat to stock position.
Nice work! Like the hold-down

·
Registered
874 Posts

$$ Purchased new 125/70-18 compact tire (previously noted same as i30N spare). Used manual tire changer to swap the tires. Made custom tire hold down w/ 8mm x 1.25 x 60mm hex bolt to keep spare secure.

You ought to be able to put the foam donut on top that will hold the jack and other paraphernalia.

Now you have to take the weight off somewhere else for the added spare. Lithium battery anyone!!:grin:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I posted a compromise i found i listed it here as "spare tire found " a little further down the list it a 17 from a kia credenza i listed all the info i had there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
125/70-18 mounted on 2011 Hyundai Equus aluminum wheel Part No.: 52910-3N800.
Had to position spare off center to get the jack wedged in. All fit fine beneath the trunk floor panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine was a T135/80R18 104M S300 tire.

So a little bit skinier than yours. Was still quite a squeeze to get it to fit.
I just picked one of these up off Ebay for my PP N, and it came with Kuhmo tire with the same specs as yours.

Given your experience, would you opt for a different tire size if you were doing this again? I see 125/70/18 and 135/70/18 mentioned above, and while I'm not opposed to spending the extra money for a different tire I only want to do so it there's a tangible benefit.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I have found a few companies selling the compact tires, but cannot find any which sells rims. So I guess it is either a scrap yard or Ebay (or similar). Is the alloy rim a better option because it leaves more room for the brake caliper to fit. I have the PP with larger brakes and I measured them, it looked about 17 inches inside diameter of the rim should be okay. But I think 17.5 inches would give a little extra clearance.
I support almost any jack with be okay? Thanks for the info. Dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just bought a new compact alloy spare rim and tire from Modern Spare (phone 801 896 3395). The alloy rim is 18 inch by 4 inch with a 135/70-18 tire which is just about the same outside diameter as the 19 inch tires. It fits in the truck tire well, but it is about 3/8 inch to tall. I will get some foam or something about 3/8 inch thick and glue it to the underside of the truck cover. Should be able to put the jack and tools underneath the wheel or maybe at the side. If I wanted to turn the wheel upside down and put the jack and tools in the middle of the wheel I would have to take the center hole cover from the rim. I might do this so I can get a long screw to hold the wheel down firmly.
I bought the rim, tire jack and wheel wrench with four different size lug nut sockets. They also provided 5 new lug nuts.
You can buy just the rim and tire and pick any of the other items they sell.
The bits I bought were $320 plus shipping.
I did spend many hours on ebay and Amazon and could not find the correct size. Plus by the time I bought a jack ($43) and sockets etc ($23) there did not seem to be much in the price, and so I just bought it all new from one place.
The reason that I bought it new was there was a post about not liking a very old tire because they can rot.
On the companies website they said you can do unlimited mileage and drive at highway speeds. Plus Hyundai manual say not to use the compact spare wheel when you are rotating your tires, I asked the guy today and he said their wheel is okay to use. Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just wanted to add my experiences here adding a spare tire to my new VNPP.
The 18x4 Hyundai Genesis spare rim works great, clears the brakes just fine, mine came off a 2011, I don't know all the model years that fit but I know there are at least a few. My spare rim came from the junk yard with a 135/80R18, it does fit on the car and clears the fenders however it's larger in outside diameter than the stock wheels. The thing that killed it is the 135/80R18 would not fit in the spare tire wheel well for me at all.
I took the rim to Discount Tire and had them mount a Yokohama Y870B 135/70R18, this tire is the exact same outside diameter of the stock 235/35R19 tires so it should not cause any E-LSD errors so I feel comfortable driving for a little longer and a little faster if I ever needed to use the spare. It also lays perfectly flat on the bottom of spare wheel well.
The Yokohama Y870B 135/70R18 almost sits completely flush with the area above spare tire wheel well, it's about half an inch above the surrounding sheet metal, when you put the trunk liner over it it's hardly noticeable. Anyone that would ever see it would think that's how it's supposed to be (see the last pic)
I bought a scissor jack and tire iron and just wrapped them in a towel so they don't rattle. I also made a hold down strap for the tire (bolt size I used is 8mm-1.25x60mm), probably unnecessary but I figure if I ever roll the car it's one less projectile flying around in the cabin trying to kill me.
For those that are concerned about weight, the rim, tire, jack and tire iron added 37.2 pounds. I don't like the extra weight but at least its low and right over the rear axle.

Costs
Rim (junkyard) $75
Tire with mounting $142
Jack $22
Tire iron $13
Total $252

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just wanted to add my experiences here adding a spare tire to my new VNPP.
The 18x4 Hyundai Genesis spare rim works great, clears the brakes just fine, mine came off a 2011, I don't know all the model years that fit but I know there are at least a few. My spare rim came from the junk yard with a 135/80R18, it does fit on the car and clears the fenders however it's larger in outside diameter than the stock wheels. The thing that killed it is the 135/80R18 would not fit in the spare tire wheel well for me at all.
I took the rim to Discount Tire and had them mount a Yokohama Y870B 135/70R18, this tire is the exact same outside diameter of the stock 235/35R19 tires so it should not cause any E-LSD errors so I feel comfortable driving for a little longer and a little faster if I ever needed to use the spare. It also lays perfectly flat on the bottom of spare wheel well.
The Yokohama Y870B 135/70R18 almost sits completely flush with the area above spare tire wheel well, it's about half an inch above the surrounding sheet metal, when you put the trunk liner over it it's hardly noticeable. Anyone that would ever see it would think that's how it's supposed to be (see the last pic)
I bought a scissor jack and tire iron and just wrapped them in a towel so they don't rattle. I also made a hold down strap for the tire (bolt size I used is 8mm-1.25x60mm), probably unnecessary but I figure if I ever roll the car it's one less projectile flying around in the cabin trying to kill me.
For those that are concerned about weight, the rim, tire, jack and tire iron added 37.2 pounds. I don't like the extra weight but at least its low and right over the rear axle.

Costs
Rim (junkyard) $75
Tire with mounting $142
Jack $22
Tire iron $13
Total $252
Thanks for posting this (see my question above). Did you try deflating the original tire a bit before attempting to fit it in the wheel well, or was there clearly no way it was going to fit?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for posting this (see my question above). Did you try deflating the original tire a bit before attempting to fit it in the wheel well, or was there clearly no way it was going to fit?
I tried deflating the 135/80R18 to around 15 psi and there was still no way it was going to fit, the one side was sitting 3+ inches off the bottom of the wheel well. If I got 100% of the air out of it perhaps it would have fit but between it not fitting, being larger outside diameter than the stock tires and that the tire was already 9 years old I figured I would just replace it with one the right size.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tried deflating the 135/80R18 to around 15 psi and there was still no way it was going to fit, the one side was sitting 3+ inches off the bottom of the wheel well. If I got 100% of the air out of it perhaps it would have fit but between it not fitting, being larger outside diameter than the stock tires and that the tire was already 9 years old I figured I would just replace it with one the right size.
Got it. I suspected that might be the case; looks like a trip to Discount Tire or Tire Rack is in my future.

Where did you source the scissor jack, and have you verified that it's low profile enough to fits under the jack point(s)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got it. I suspected that might be the case; looks like a trip to Discount Tire or Tire Rack is in my future.

Where did you source the scissor jack, and have you verified that it's low profile enough to fits under the jack point(s)?
I got the jack and tire iron on Amazon, a junk yard would have been cheaper but I wanted to make sure I got the right size. I liked that it had the notch on the top to hold the seam weld a little better. I just measured the height of the lift point on the car (6” if I recall) and the jacks on Amazon list how low/high they go so it’s fairly easy though I did to a test to make sure.
I would say I wish I spent a few more dollars for a slightly better jack. Every scissor jack is scary but mine is particularly cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im really not sure which route to go. This no-spare has been keeping me up at nights.

I know a regular size wheel will fit but obviously raise the cargo bed up a bit.

What do you guys think about this STI spare w/ 135 70 D18 tire?

s-l1600b.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im really not sure which route to go. This no-spare has been keeping me up at nights.

I know a regular size wheel will fit but obviously raise the cargo bed up a bit.

What do you guys think about this STI spare w/ 135 70 D18 tire?

View attachment 3152 View attachment 3153
I could be wrong but I believe the WRX uses a smaller hub bore and would not fit our cars. Plus that rim looks like it sticks out way higher than the tire. The Genesis rim is the exact width of the tire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I ended up getting a spare regular size rim w tire. Got a good deal. However now I need the foam to sit inside the reg wheel lol

41 - 60 of 62 Posts