Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
RPMrush, what size tire came on your 18x4 rim? I recently found a spare tire from a 2013 Genesis sedan (18x4 alloy) and the tire size is 155/80-18 (Hankook S300). This tire is a much larger diameter than the standard 19” tires and there is no way this tire/wheel will fit in the spare tire well like in your pic (I’m not even sure it’ll fit on the car). I’m guessing your tire is actually a smaller size? When you put it under the floor, does the floor lie flat or does it end up sitting raised up from normal? I’m guessing you fit it in fully inflated?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
RPMrush, what size tire came on your 18x4 rim? I recently found a spare tire from a 2013 Genesis sedan (18x4 alloy) and the tire size is 155/80-18 (Hankook S300). This tire is a much larger diameter than the standard 19” tires and there is no way this tire/wheel will fit in the spare tire well like in your pic (I’m not even sure it’ll fit on the car). I’m guessing your tire is actually a smaller size? When you put it under the floor, does the floor lie flat or does it end up sitting raised up from normal? I’m guessing you fit it in fully inflated?
Mine was a T135/80R18 104M S300 tire.

So a little bit skinier than yours. Was still quite a squeeze to get it to fit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks. I see there is a 125/70-18 size available (used on Golf R and Type R) that I may have to try.

Once you squeezed your spare in the well, was it thin enough to sit fully under the floor? Or did it raise the floor at all?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I realize this is a little more pain in the butt than many are probably willing to deal with, but why not get a 17" size spare such as from a Veloster R-Spec or something, and if you happen to get a flat, put the spare on the rear and put the wheel from the rear (assuming flat is up front) on the front?

Yes, it's more work, but you get a full sized drive/steering wheel and the spare is capable of following along behind on the rear. No brake clearance issues either. May fit easier in the spare tire well as well, and if it happens to be a little shorter than stock size, it won't foul up the differential.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks. I see there is a 125/70-18 size available (used on Golf R and Type R) that I may have to try.

Once you squeezed your spare in the well, was it thin enough to sit fully under the floor? Or did it raise the floor at all?
Fully flat. Fits like a glove.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I realize this is a little more pain in the butt than many are probably willing to deal with, but why not get a 17" size spare such as from a Veloster R-Spec or something, and if you happen to get a flat, put the spare on the rear and put the wheel from the rear (assuming flat is up front) on the front?

Yes, it's more work, but you get a full sized drive/steering wheel and the spare is capable of following along behind on the rear. No brake clearance issues either. May fit easier in the spare tire well as well, and if it happens to be a little shorter than stock size, it won't foul up the differential.
Because if you are going through the trouble of sourcing a spare, why not source a fully useable one without compromises?

Understandably changing a tire twice is still better than being stranded, so if it's all you can find a compromise is still better than where I would have found myself yesterday.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ya, so good luck with your inflator kits if that's the route you choose.

You have no idea how glad I was to be back on the road in 10 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
So the sizes I see thrown around are 135/80/18 which is a full inch taller than stock size.
I also saw the 125/70/18 which is 1/2" shorter than stock.

Both on the front end of the car will cause more wear on the differential. Short distance, not so bad, but I'm picky.

I see a 135/70/18 is available through tire rack. Exact same outside diameter as the stock (PP) 235/35/19's. Not cheap though, $119 for a Yokohama with diagonal ply construction, or $165 for a Maxxis branded spare with radial ply construction.

I'm not a fan of used or junkyard spare tires. Spare tires rot just as bad as road tires, so I'd rather have a new one myself.

So, question is, will the stock tire size fit properly in the spare tire well? If so, would be a good option wouldn't it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fully agree. 135/ 70-18 is an identical size and would be the best. I assume that since you can squeeze the 135/80 in the well flat, the 135/70 should fit also (a little better too). I just figured for a slightly smaller overall dia, 125/70 would fit best in the well (although price is pretty stiff at $167 at tire rack).

Regarding the limited slip & wear, note on page 5-36 of the owners manual (section discussing limited slip feature), it states the car will give a warning message for tire size mismatch if detected. It further states in order to use the electronic limited slip, make sure both front tires are the same size. Based on this, presumably, the limited slip will disable itself when different tire sizes are detected (thus acting like open diff).

I would have also assumed ESC should be turned off with a donut on, but in another section of the manual it says something like don’t use ESC sport or ESC off when using a temp spare. Not sure why not use “ESC off.”

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The spare I have is a taller tire and does look it while it's on.. It drove fine and I babied it. Went 4 miles to my house. If I had a longer distance to cover I would have taken time to throw it on the back for diff, steering and braking sake. It pulled while braking and I could feel the steering was a bit off. Also it was at 45 psi and not the recommended 60. I didn't realize it only had 20 psi in it when I got it. 45psi was about all the inflator would do for it after seeing how low it was on the car. I'll pump it to 60 and see if it even fits in the hatch after. I have a feeling I'll have to deflate to 20psi just to fit it. It's not perfect, but it's also perfect.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Side note. The dealer gave me a wheel and tire warranty included with the car. 2 year road hazard. Replace any tire within a certain treadwear and repair any scratches or curb rash or replace a bent wheel. I was a little impressed at this and the finance guy swore there was no extra charge. I call to utilize this and the warranty company and dealer have no record of my purchasing the wheel and tire warranty, because I didn't. So I've talked to the finance guy that presented this to me and he said he'll figure it out. I'll see what he says today. Would be nice not to pay for a tire and get my wheel fixed or replaced, but I'm doubtful.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Side note. The dealer gave me a wheel and tire warranty included with the car. 2 year road hazard. Replace any tire within a certain treadwear and repair any scratches or curb rash or replace a bent wheel. I was a little impressed at this and the finance guy swore there was no extra charge. I call to utilize this and the warranty company and dealer have no record of my purchasing the wheel and tire warranty, because I didn't. So I've talked to the finance guy that presented this to me and he said he'll figure it out. I'll see what he says today. Would be nice not to pay for a tire and get my wheel fixed or replaced, but I'm doubtful.
I'm seeing lots of the 19" wheels on the VN are getting damaged fairly easily.

Since I know the 18" wheels fit around our brakes, I may save up a little extra and get a set of 18" wheels/tires for both winter and summer and keep or sell the 19's. The 18" having slightly more sidewall, especially if I go with a 235/40/19 which is .1" smaller than the 235/35/19, it should do a better job absorbing holes and road irregularities, without any real sacrifices should I take it to a track day.

My Thunderbird is on 255/40/18, and I haven't had any issues with potholes yet. Sadly, Duluth Minnesota is sick with Potholes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Replaced 19” wheels with 18”

I have the PP car but, while I like the look of the 19” wheels it came with, I believed the ride could be improved. So I bought 18” wheels from Tire Rack which look good and fit wonderfully, and put on a set of Firestone Indy 500s. The car was improved in every way handling-wise, although the appearance of the stock wheels is hard to fully match.

I may get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for winter. They are great tires and I’ve had them on previous cars.

By the way the size tires I am using is 235/40 R18 and the wheel I selected has a 50 offset. Tire diameter is 1/10” less than stock, absolutely no rubbing of any kind, and again, in every way a better ride in my opinion.

I doubt I will ever use the 19” wheels again and will probably sell them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just can't see anyone running without a spare. I know the 17x4 fits non PP cars. I went with the 18x4 for good measure. I also can't see paying over $100 for a donut.

I think a slavage yard is your best bet for a great price. It would be nice to have a comprehensive list of what models throughout the KIA/Hyundai kingdom carry the 18x4 so searching is easier.

The 50 offset will also slightly widen the track of the car, making it more stable.

Mind me asking which wheels you picked up? I've been shopping wheels at TireRack too for when I get a VN.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Enkei Performance PDC wheels which I bought through Tire Rack. They are black, have the 50 offset, and fit fine. I’m very happy with these wheels. I also ordered the tpms sensors which also worked without using any tool or having to follow any kind of recalibration procedure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A 125/70-18 fits perfectly diameter wise!

Do you also have the wheel make and part number you can share? I’ve been wanting this info and I’m sure others too! Also, do you know if this wheel clears the front calipers on the PP?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The spare in the photo is actually from a friend’s car (not right bolt pattern or offset- I was just testing to see how it fit in the tire well (tire is a continental CST-17 125/70-18)). I’m planning on getting the same size tire fitted to an 18x4 alloy spare wheel which is from a 2013 Genesis sedan (don’t know the PN). It’s the same alloy wheel as RPMRush. You can sometimes find them in junkyards/eBay etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the Enkei Performance PDC wheels which I bought through Tire Rack. They are black, have the 50 offset, and fit fine. I’m very happy with these wheels. I also ordered the tpms sensors which also worked without using any tool or having to follow any kind of recalibration procedure.
Since I'm still squirreling away money to buy a VN, I've been doing reading as I always buy a second set of wheels for snow tires and the procedure for the TPMS was something I was reading up on. Everything I found pointed to the car being able to handle having two sets of TPMS sensors, or it just grabs a reading from the sensor and doesn't "marry" itself to it.

Good to hear that your experience proves it isn't an issue.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts