Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N 6MT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up
So I basically was trying to do j turns in this empty parking lot and as I do my last try as I was on the throttle a pop happened and a bunch of smoke happened. The white smoke came out my exhaust and all my oil also went out the exhaust, I filled it up and tried driving it but it immediately spit out all the oil.my car is fbo stage 3 tuned by n75, I hope it’s just the stock turbo going out but Idk. I got it towed to the dealer and their gonna look at it tomorrow, I just wanted to know yalls opinions on what I might have broke. Attached is a picture of it with the smoke coming out.

Attachments

· Registered
2021 Performance Blue VN 6MT
221 Posts
What comprises of full bolt on "stage 3"? I'm curious to the the definition as it seems in the VN community there isn't a standard (that I know of anyways) for these different stage levels. Back when I had my B5 S4, they were generally defined as

Stage 1 = tune
Stage 2 = Stage 1 + catback exhaust
Stage 2+ = Stage 2 + downpipe
Stage 3 = Stage 2+ + K04 turbos and requisite fueling
Stage 3+ = Stage 3 + larger than K04 turbos and more

Things like a cold air intake or colder spark plugs didn't really fit into the core definition of mods. Is there something like this for the VN?

Hopefully your damage is localized and you'll be back up and running in no time.

· Registered
59 Posts
What comprises of full bolt on "stage 3"? I'm curious to the the definition as it seems in the VN community there isn't a standard (that I know of anyways) for these different stage levels. Back when I had my B5 S4, they were generally defined as

Stage 1 = tune

Things like a cold air intake or colder spark plugs didn't really fit into the core definition of mods. Is there something like this for the VN?

Hopefully your damage is localized and you'll be back up and running in no time.
N75 has their own weird definitions on their website. Definitely different than normal. The generally accepted definitions for the velo N are

Stage 1 = Tune
Stage 2 = Supporting mods and tune. Normally IC, and DP and intake
Stage 3 = Bigger turbo

We've never really had stage 2+ or anything like that.

· Registered
20 VN PP MT Perf. Blue, 22 KN Sonic Blue
253 Posts
Sounds very similar to my experience when my turbo blew up (just with less fire). It’ll be a costly repair from a shop. Probably just pushed the turbo too hard with the tune… that’s likely what happened with my car. Might be time to upgrade to a nicer turbo, but it’s a slippery slope and gets really expensive really quickly

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Stage 1 = tune

Thank you I hope so too and I just called it stage 3 because that’s how it’s described on n75

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds very similar to my experience when my turbo blew up (just with less fire). It’ll be a costly repair from a shop. Probably just pushed the turbo too hard with the tune… that’s likely what happened with my car. Might be time to upgrade to a nicer turbo, but it’s a slippery slope and gets really expensive really quickly
Yea I was thinking of doing the install myself. I know it’s not gonna be fun at all but I’m back and forth choosing which turbo to get because i wanna get the best bang for buck upgrade while keeping the car a reliable daily

· Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
254 Posts
I bet it was the excess heat and stress on the turbo, was looking at the N75 site and saw WMI is required for stage 3 since it runs up to 25psi of boost. Not a safe level for the stock turbo imho.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Hopefully it’s just the turbo and not the ingestion
I hope so, for your sake as we’ll👍🇺🇸
Yea I was thinking of doing the install myself. I know it’s not gonna be fun at all but I’m back and forth choosing which turbo to get because i wanna get the best bang for buck upgrade while keeping the car a reliable daily
Hybrid OEM turbocharger, is the more preferred way to go for longevity and upgrades internals.👍🇺🇸

1 - 12 of 12 Posts