Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
This is what happened to me too. I just kept powering both fwd and reverse until each wheel finally broke free... eventually. And then I had several miles to scrape off the rust “lumps” from where the pads stuck. That said, if it didn’t break free, my next step was going to be to jack up the rear, remove each wheel, and give the pads/caliper love taps with a wood block and hammer to try and loosen it. Either that or put some heat into the disc with a torch.
Just put the car into reverse and move it a few feet. It will break them loose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is BS. This is a flaw in the car. Because of this I’m going through the repurchase of my new car. It’s sucks but this isn’t normal and it’s a lemon if they can’t fix it. I have over 50 recordings of this problem over 9 months and 5 repair attempts. So if your car is doing this send it to the dealer and check out your lemon laws.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just out of curiosity what did they actually do on the 5 repair attempts? Without changing rear pads and/or rotors to something with less iron/steel content I don't see how this can be avoided.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
This is BS. This is a flaw in the car. Because of this I’m going through the repurchase of my new car. It’s sucks but this isn’t normal and it’s a lemon if they can’t fix it. I have over 50 recordings of this problem over 9 months and 5 repair attempts. So if your car is doing this send it to the dealer and check out your lemon laws.
Repurchase, ok! :grin:

It's normal, if you let the car set outside in the dampness or moisture. It's has to do with the metallic pads and rotor combination and you'll never get the car lemon law or applied on a wear and tear part. That's just the way it works.

There are things you can do to preclude this from happening on a regular basis. However, since you're more interested in trying to get the VN lemon lawed, I'll refrain from posting the fixes since you decided to come here and ***** from your very first post.:smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
So in the end-after 2 1/2 days while waiting for the dreaded wheel dolly tow truck-I applied a little more throttle and with several "bangs" released the rust-hold grip the pads had on the rotors. Car is fine-arrow straight with hands-off braking. I did a few near "panic" stops. There is no rotor rust now. I do this before every parking episode. It was not the parking brake or cable. Called Hyundai Consumer Affairs-have a case #; mentioned it in the Hyundai survey as well. Local dealer had same issue with an Elantra N-line. Not normal and I should not have to compulsively change my parking behavior or worry about rain/car washing or humidity. Maybe it is a metallurgy issue-not enough chromium in the iron rotors. Deserves at least a technical service bulletin...what do you think?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
No, it's the combination of metallic pads, rotor and condensation or wet weather along with not driving it for a while. Just put the car in reverse and backup, is all you have to do. You get more force on the brakes backing up then trying to move forward.

The only way to get Hyundai will pay attention is; for those it's affecting, to complain to Hyundai Customer Service and start a complaint ticket.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
They’ve had my VN for a couple weeks for another issue but the service rep actually brought this issue up without me even saying anything because he went to go drive it one day and it wouldn’t move then it popped. He said they will probably come out with something on it because another guy was complaining about it to him the week before. So they do know about it, at least at mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They’ve had my VN for a couple weeks for another issue but the service rep actually brought this issue up without me even saying anything because he went to go drive it one day and it wouldn’t move then it popped. He said they will probably come out with something on it because another guy was complaining about it to him the week before. So they do know about it, at least at mine.
What was the other issue if you don't mind?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The brake rotors have a high iron content and readily develop surface rust. If you park the car with some moisture on the brakes (or maybe even just a humid day) and apply the handbrake there's a good chance you'll experience this the next time it moves (if it sits long enough).

Nothing to worry about.

Although one particular day the temp dropped drastically and we were hit with freezing rain followed by snow I did end up dragging the back wheels 50 yds or so on the snow until they finally released.
I actually was trying to figure this out I thought a rock hit my window a couple times it's the lever that your seat belt is connected to it clicks when it changes directions you can try it by moving that little arm and it makes that sound I'm glad it wasn't rocks

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW, the snap comes and goes with the weather. It went away for me this most recent week.
I think it's the seat belt lever it makes the same sound when a rock hits your windshield it's a snap kick move the lever on your seatbelt and you will hear it

21 - 32 of 32 Posts