Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
5,073 Posts
This is what happened to me too. I just kept powering both fwd and reverse until each wheel finally broke free... eventually. And then I had several miles to scrape off the rust “lumps” from where the pads stuck. That said, if it didn’t break free, my next step was going to be to jack up the rear, remove each wheel, and give the pads/caliper love taps with a wood block and hammer to try and loosen it. Either that or put some heat into the disc with a torch.
Just put the car into reverse and move it a few feet. It will break them loose.

· Registered
5 Posts
This is BS. This is a flaw in the car. Because of this I’m going through the repurchase of my new car. It’s sucks but this isn’t normal and it’s a lemon if they can’t fix it. I have over 50 recordings of this problem over 9 months and 5 repair attempts. So if your car is doing this send it to the dealer and check out your lemon laws.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
This is BS. This is a flaw in the car. Because of this I’m going through the repurchase of my new car. It’s sucks but this isn’t normal and it’s a lemon if they can’t fix it. I have over 50 recordings of this problem over 9 months and 5 repair attempts. So if your car is doing this send it to the dealer and check out your lemon laws.
It's normal, if you let the car set outside in the dampness or moisture. It's has to do with the metallic pads and rotor combination and you'll never get the car lemon law or applied on a wear and tear part. That's just the way it works.

There are things you can do to preclude this from happening on a regular basis. However, since you're more interested in trying to get the VN lemon lawed, I'll refrain from posting the fixes since you decided to come here and ***** from your very first post.😄

· Registered
14 Posts
So in the end-after 2 1/2 days while waiting for the dreaded wheel dolly tow truck-I applied a little more throttle and with several "bangs" released the rust-hold grip the pads had on the rotors. Car is fine-arrow straight with hands-off braking. I did a few near "panic" stops. There is no rotor rust now. I do this before every parking episode. It was not the parking brake or cable. Called Hyundai Consumer Affairs-have a case #; mentioned it in the Hyundai survey as well. Local dealer had same issue with an Elantra N-line. Not normal and I should not have to compulsively change my parking behavior or worry about rain/car washing or humidity. Maybe it is a metallurgy issue-not enough chromium in the iron rotors. Deserves at least a technical service bulletin...what do you think?

· Registered
5,073 Posts
No, it's the combination of metallic pads, rotor and condensation or wet weather along with not driving it for a while. Just put the car in reverse and backup, is all you have to do. You get more force on the brakes backing up then trying to move forward.

The only way to get Hyundai will pay attention is; for those it's affecting, to complain to Hyundai Customer Service and start a complaint ticket.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
They’ve had my VN for a couple weeks for another issue but the service rep actually brought this issue up without me even saying anything because he went to go drive it one day and it wouldn’t move then it popped. He said they will probably come out with something on it because another guy was complaining about it to him the week before. So they do know about it, at least at mine.

· Registered
14 Posts
They’ve had my VN for a couple weeks for another issue but the service rep actually brought this issue up without me even saying anything because he went to go drive it one day and it wouldn’t move then it popped. He said they will probably come out with something on it because another guy was complaining about it to him the week before. So they do know about it, at least at mine.
What was the other issue if you don't mind?

· Registered
2 Posts
The brake rotors have a high iron content and readily develop surface rust. If you park the car with some moisture on the brakes (or maybe even just a humid day) and apply the handbrake there's a good chance you'll experience this the next time it moves (if it sits long enough).

Nothing to worry about.

Although one particular day the temp dropped drastically and we were hit with freezing rain followed by snow I did end up dragging the back wheels 50 yds or so on the snow until they finally released.
I actually was trying to figure this out I thought a rock hit my window a couple times it's the lever that your seat belt is connected to it clicks when it changes directions you can try it by moving that little arm and it makes that sound I'm glad it wasn't rocks

· Registered
2 Posts
So this has happend 2 times. One time it happened when I left work and the other when I left home in the morning so the car was sitting for a while maybe 8 hours or so.

The first time after work about 5pm I put the car in 1st gear and proceeded to let off the clutch then I hear this snapping sound right when I start to move almost like I'm running over something like rocks and crushing it but I'm barely just moving foward. After this everything if fine and no issues. The 2nd time I was going in reverse out of the garage and I heard this loud noise again and I felt like something was breaking so I hit the breaks thinking I ran over something or something was breaking on the car. This happens as soon as the car starts to move. It goes away after the initial breaking noise or whatever I'm hearing and the car drives normally after that.

Is this common in a manual car to kind of be locked up some how and cause this noise? I'm just hoping nothing is wrong with the car or breaking.

The parking break was fully disengaged and I didn't have any breaks on.

Car only has 700 miles on it.
I'm having this same exact issue... 2019 Veloster N w/20,000 miles. Dealership says nothing is wrong with the vehicle when inspected, but something definitely is wrong. It seems to be getting worse & sounds like my rear axle is going to snap. This is no way "normal" for any vehicle. I've taken video of the issue with the sound & have filed a complaint with Hyundai corporate office.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Let’s see the video, maybe we jointly can confirm a possible problem or not.

When the rear pads stick to the rotor, they make a snapping sound when released. Metallic pads and rotors spell corrosion and sticking.

If it was a CV joint, driveshaft or sway-bar end link, it’s not intermittent, it’s constant. What he’s describing is intermittent. Is this what is occurring with you VN?👍🇺🇸

· Registered
9 Posts
This certainly isn't unique to the Veloster. A 911 that I used to track did the same thing multiple times - aggressive track pads would bind to the rotors and pop loudly when first driving off after the car had been sitting for days. That car has 6-piston fixed calipers, so it's not even unique to single piston setups. The problem greatly lessened after I rebuilt the calipers with new pistons, seals and dust caps.

· Registered
38 Posts
This is BS. This is a flaw in the car.
It makes me laugh how many people say this is "normal". I got crucified on a fb page about this a while back too. I have had so many cars since the mid '90s that I've pretty much lost count, and many of them were the top version you could get. Somehow, maybe by the longest lucky streak in history, I have NEVER had this issue even once, on any car. Until this one. Same thing with the wet performance of the brakes, it's truly shocking. I can't wait to burn these pads off at the track and try something different. Hopefully that will take care of it.

But the more I see this come up... it is normal. For this car. I love my N, but what a freak for bizarre issues! lol

· Registered
5,073 Posts
I can say the same as well but it doesn’t preclude the issue from happening. Sorry you got brow beat on FB, it‘s a regular occurrence on social media. However, the issues or rear brakes sticking is, a “normal occurrence“ on nearly every VN produced. I don’t believe owners like the situation but are more interested and desiring to know and understand why.👍

With the rotor and pad material combination, it’s not going to change and Hyundai‘s isn't going to do anything about it with a discontinued model. So, the responsibility and consequences are left up to the owners discretion, either to solve or live with.

IMO Hyundai chose the combination for a couple of reasons; price point and the optimal dry weather performance for the price range. Otherwise, they went the cheapest route with the most desired performance, which is what Hyundai always does.

Change the pads, rotors or both and it disappears, so does the poor wet weather performance.

Replace the rotors to; GiroDisc Find Your Parts front/rear or DBA Front and Rear Slotted Rotors dba43146S/dba43149S DBA USA There’s no more issues with rear brakes sticking or leaving pad residue on the rotor, along with much improved, excellent wet weather performance.

Alternatively changing the pads to; Yellow stuff 4000 Series DP42343R/DP42344R, EBC Red Stuff DP32343C/DP32344C, EBC Green Stuff DP22344/DP22343,

If anyone desires a scapegoat, then it’s Hyundai. However, the issue isn’t going to disappear by itself and neither is the terminology utilized or quibbling about the use of the word “normal,” is it?

It‘s simply a “normal occurrence,“ with this model.👍🇺🇸

· Registered
38 Posts
I think there is another part to this that I'm surprised nobody has really talked about. It's pretty normal on modern cars for the pads to ride quite close to the rotor, and I have to wonder if the VN must really hug that rotor, damn near to the point of actually touching it. I haven't taken these ones apart yet, so I'm kind of looking forward to it.
Other than OEM Stoptechs on a 2014 car I own, most of my real performers were a bit older, so that could be why this has never been an issue for me before. I've heard of it on other models, specifically a buddy's ATS-V with a bigger brake kit.
YellowStuff is the plan once these pads are gone. Problem will likely be gone too.

· Registered
37 Posts
It makes me laugh how many people say this is "normal". I got crucified on a fb page about this a while back too. I have had so many cars since the mid '90s that I've pretty much lost count, and many of them were the top version you could get. Somehow, maybe by the longest lucky streak in history, I have NEVER had this issue even once, on any car. Until this one. Same thing with the wet performance of the brakes, it's truly shocking. I can't wait to burn these pads off at the track and try something different. Hopefully that will take care of it.

But the more I see this come up... it is normal. For this car. I love my N, but what a freak for bizarre issues! lol
I'm truly surprised by these comments. Every car I've had had some binding of the parking brake during winter or wet conditions. I would never apply the parking brake in the snow for an extended time as I've had those frozen tight. Now if this is happening in your dry garage and the car wasn't exposed to moisture of any kind, then I would say you have a linkage issue or something which needs investigation.

Specific to my 2022 VN DTC, the parking brake will bind quite well after the kind of dousing we've had here in NorCal. It takes about 2 days to really seize up. Totally normal.

Regarding wet weather performance: stock brakes are phenomenally good, as are the stock Pirellis (@7k) given temps above 50 and obeying speed limits. Those who say differently must be spraying tire shine on their pads and/or driving worn tires? Different OEM's at the factory?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts