Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Per the title, since my car is catless, I figure I can get away with adding more anti-friction and anti wear metals to my engine oil as there is no longer a concern of damaging a catalytic converter.

I have read that ZDDP additives have been diminishing from engine oils in favor for fuel economy and protecting catalytic converters from damage.

There is a bell curve from what I have read. For example, Too much zinc will actually increase wear/shearing/etc.
I have read that too much ash can cause engine oil sludge, but I change often enough. IIRC, its from the SAPs or detergents/solvents burning off in the engine.

Below you will see Lucas zinc additive and the packaging label mentions " NOT recommended for passenger cars requiring API SG,SJ,SL,SM and post 1994 vehicles - may cause damage to catalytic converters." Which doesnt apply to my catless straight piped VN.

I've actually ordered 12 Redline engine oil break in additives off amazon which at that bulk order came to $12 a bottle as opposed to $15. They have a transparent and decorated ingredient listing coupled with their reputation. Their SI-1 Fuel injector cleaner is one of the only fuel injector cleaning products that I've seen so far with Polyetheramine (PEA), a carbon deposit inhibitor, which survives the high temps in seen in combustion.

Below i have listed Red lines engine oil additive and lucas' engine oil additive.

I have also listed the high end Purol 100% Synthetic engine oil specifications.
as well as the affordable Mobil 1 Full Synthetic engine oil specifications.

I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge, wisdom, experience in this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Redline Engine Oil Break in Additive.
33.8 grams ZDDP

17,000 ppm, 7.8 grams Phosphorous
20,500 ppm, 9.4 grams Zinc

16.6 grams Sulphur

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Lucas TB Zinc Plus Engine Break In Oil Additive
43,000 Zinc PPM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Purol Elite Series

1730 ppm of zinc vs 800-900 ppm Zinc from competitors

4. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic AFE 0w-30 Engine Oil API SP
650 ppm Phosphorous
750 ppm Zinc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil. realize large oil cos' chemical engrs 'build' additive packages to proposed oil specs.
Agonizing actual lab, research, over years of testing before release for the new proposed oil specs. many many variables considered and baked-in. search for it. LSPI.
the dexos World spec working group began around 2010 i think, for a new pre ig knock standard proposed commenced by G.M. ! interesting and cool gm got the oil spec upgrade happening. awaiting fc v8 in z06 c8.
so do not mix any ''snake oil'' in your oil-thinking YOU know better than degreed chemical engrs at major oil cos.
physics is a trip. Pls don't use zddp, additives etc, it is 1930s thinking and poss create a compound that might corrode crank brgs. yuck. are you a chemical engineer? Loving all those shiny labels.
rat 540 is the only comprehensive Reference about oil brand/type testing for engine protection.
it is a killer site, you'll be reading-rockin' for many covid-20 hours.
---> 540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths
he is a M.E. not a opinion maker on what he thinks, or what gordon murray, carlo chiti or b.i.t.o.g. opinions are. (btw ck out the gma T.50 ! he's making physics great again.)
all the shiny labels on red, blue, green containers do not INFER any actual Protection or 'reference standard' measurement.
All This is - is ''M a a a a - keting'' ! life goes on. caveat emptor.
another spec of many tests he performs besides temp, PSi rating protection, rat 540 demos higher Flow rate -that's provided w/thinner viscosity engine oils, so greater cooling for rotating assembly . most modern engines are specd with modern oil pumps ready for 'thin earl', read the owners manual for the viscosity spec.

happy reading. 540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths

oil is cheap ! change at reasonable lengths. read the manual. wmart, oreilly takes used oil !
none of my ic engines use any oil, some with many miles.

(q state ult durability 5-30 is modern easily sourced shell product, fairly priced $21/5qts at walM, what's not to like?)

awaiting the gf-6 spec and beyond. go schumacher! (ralf) (i have no relation to rat 540)

happ thanksgiving all

Hi all,

Per the title, since my car is catless, I figure I can get away with adding more anti-friction and anti wear metals to my engine oil as there is no longer a concern of damaging a catalytic converter.

I have read that ZDDP additives have been diminishing from engine oils in favor for fuel economy and protecting catalytic converters from damage.

There is a bell curve from what I have read. For example, Too much zinc will actually increase wear/shearing/etc.
I have read that too much ash can cause engine oil sludge, but I change often enough. IIRC, its from the SAPs or detergents/solvents burning off in the engine.

Below you will see Lucas zinc additive and the packaging label mentions " NOT recommended for passenger cars requiring API SG,SJ,SL,SM and post 1994 vehicles - may cause damage to catalytic converters." Which doesnt apply to my catless straight piped VN.

I've actually ordered 12 Redline engine oil break in additives off amazon which at that bulk order came to $12 a bottle as opposed to $15. They have a transparent and decorated ingredient listing coupled with their reputation. Their SI-1 Fuel injector cleaner is one of the only fuel injector cleaning products that I've seen so far with Polyetheramine (PEA), a carbon deposit inhibitor, which survives the high temps in seen in combustion.

Below i have listed Red lines engine oil additive and lucas' engine oil additive.

I have also listed the high end Purol 100% Synthetic engine oil specifications.
as well as the affordable Mobil 1 Full Synthetic engine oil specifications.

I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge, wisdom, experience in this?

1. Redline Engine Oil Break in Additive.
33.8 grams ZDDP

17,000 ppm, 7.8 grams Phosphorous
20,500 ppm, 9.4 grams Zinc

16.6 grams Sulphur
View attachment 3719
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Lucas TB Zinc Plus Engine Break In Oil Additive
43,000 Zinc PPM

View attachment 3721
3. Purol Elite Series
View attachment 3723

1730 ppm of zinc vs 800-900 ppm Zinc from competitors

View attachment 3722
4. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic AFE 0w-30 Engine Oil API SP
650 ppm Phosphorous
750 ppm Zinc
View attachment 3720

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
higher Flow rate -that's provided w/thinner viscosity engine oils, so greater cooling for rotating assembly . most modern engines are specd with modern oil pumps ready for 'thin earl', read the owners manual for the viscosity spec.
im thinking if our owner's manual allows us to use 0w-30 to 5w-40, 400 mL of additives shouldnt change the flow characteristic but maybe the grams of anti wear would be nice, but I seeeeeeeeeeee

i'll give the article a glance XD

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
5W30 Amsoil Signature Series is what I use and change it at 4500 mile intervals. IMO, the best fully synthetic oil out there. If I was going to use any additive it would be Cerma oil additive and that is it. It's a one time thing and it pevetrates the metal to prevent wear. The military use it in their vehicles. Other than that I just change the oil when I am supposed to. So far, so good.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5W30 Amsoil Signature Series is what I use and change it at 4500 mile intervals. IMO, the best fully synthetic oil out there. If I was going to use any additive it would be Cerma oil additive and that is it. It's a one time thing and it pevetrates the metal to prevent wear. The military use it in their vehicles. Other than that I just change the oil when I am supposed to. So far, so good.

Best regards,

-Mike
I saw that from your build thread :)
Project Farm from YT showed Amsoil performing well.
SavageGeese showed how 0w oils turn to water if you track them hard with engine temps over 230+, thinning viscosity = loss of pressure = really bad.
But he showed testing results that the additives were intact in the 0w oils even after hard tracking and 4000+ miles.

Im just going to dump 400/1000 ML of this break-in zddp additive into my next oil change and see what happens lmao :^)

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
I don't track my car but if I did I would never use a 0 weight oil. 5W30 or 5W40 would be what I use for the track. I am also the type of guy that would change my oil before the event and again right after. I think that would be the best way to protect the engine.

Best regards,

-Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts