Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
The Brown wire goes to the MAP sensor on the manifold, rainbow to TMAP on boost pipe. As instructed in the written directions and confirmed by Steve at BMS by the OP earlier in this chain. That's how I've had mine installed since day one too, no problems.
Good luck, let us know how you like JB4.
Thanks, that's how I have it.

I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with it. If the EK1 weren't so expensive and didn't require buying a spare / unlocked ECU I'd have gone that route. I got everything (jb4, BT module, and HKS plugs) for $500, if I'd bought that new I'd have spent what an EK1 costs without the ECU and been disappointed. I think its good value used, but not new.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)

I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with it. If the EK1 weren't so expensive and didn't require buying a spare / unlocked ECU I'd have gone that route. I got everything (jb4, BT module, and HKS plugs) for $500, if I'd bought that new I'd have spent what an EK1 costs without the ECU and been disappointed. I think its good value used, but not new.

I went back and forth with Andro/Steve and others at Burger to figure out which was correct as the install video shows one way and the instructions shows the other. In the end I was told to go with the VIDEO which shows the rainbow on the manifold and the brown/black harness on the boost pipe (I was told our car is different than the Stinger). After running logs both ways with the brown harness on the manifold in Map 1 my car topped out at 18.5 psi of boost, with the rainbow harness on the manifold in Map 1 it topped out at 20.4 psi boost and had multiple points along the rpm range in the 19's. Without question based on the logs my car makes more boost with the rainbow harness on the manifold.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I went back and forth with Andro/Steve and others at Burger to figure out which was correct as the install video shows one way and the instructions shows the other. In the end I was told to go with the VIDEO which shows the rainbow on the manifold and the brown/black harness on the boost pipe. After running logs both ways with the brown harness on the manifold in Map 1 my car topped out at 18.5 psi of boost, with the rainbow harness on the manifold in Map 1 it topped out at 20.4 psi boost. Without question based on logs my car makes more boost with the rainbow harness on the manifold.
Hmmm interesting. I will swap them around in a bit and report back. Do you use map slot 2?

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Hmmm interesting. I will swap them around in a bit and report back. Do you use map slot 2?
If you are using the fuel wire and have a burger harness it is the black #2 wire. I only logged map 1 because of my fuel but clearly had more boost/power and wheel spin with the rainbow harness on the manifold as per the installation video. I would be curious to know if you have the same result but the boost figures don't lie

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
No on the jb4 do you run only map 1 or do you also run map 2? (93 octane )
At this point I only run map 1 because for some reason my fuel even though 93(in Canada) wasn't the greatest so I am currently testing different brands of gas to find the right one that will allow me to run map 2 properly and safely (I will not run an octane booster). I was getting some small timing drops that I am trying to clear up or reduce before moving to Map 2.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well I can confirm that the rainbow should be on the manifold like @Beatmechanic said. Was seeing 18psi of boost on map 2 before and now its 21psi. The car feels better too just driving normally. Has that fun "turbo punch you inthe stomach" feeling as well in 2nd gear. 3rd is still very useable power, but it takes off like a rocketship now.

I will need to do some logs and double check the timing, though we have pretty great 93 in S.Florida. Makes me question the E30 map and how much more power that would be.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ecu tune is trash compared to WMI. Ecu is less powerful and way less safe than WMI. The only way I’d spend that kinda money on a tune is if/when I go big turbo.

300f cooler exhaust temps and somewhere in the neighborhood of 96-98 octane with 33% meth regular windshield washer fluid from tractor supply store (water meth and dye nothing else for $3). WMI should be standard on all turbo cars tbh.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bruh that’s for pure race cars. And it’s flammably dangerous. And you don’t get water to cool down exhaust temps. $3 tractor supply Traveler brand -20f blue. Only windshield washer fluid I could find that was pure meth water and dye. (33%)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also, you can buy it in store for free shipping since they probably don’t sell it in Florida because of the heat.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Also, you can buy it in store for free shipping since they probably don’t sell it in Florida because of the heat.
I'll go check the TSC thats in the area, They probably have it.

Also I was mixing that M1 with distilled water, 49/51. It wasn't flammable at that ratio.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I have reservations about it, and honestly I'd really rather get an ECU tune than WMI.
Took a log, and looked at it very quickly. I have no negative ignition corrections on map2 (pulling timing), will look more in depth later.
Do you mind sending me a copy of your log to a private message so I can take a look and compare it to mine?

·
Registered
467 Posts
So minor update to this thread. A friend of mine and I just installed a JB4 in his car and set up the wires the same was as on mine (rainbow to manifold). His car drove the same way that mine did when I had the brown wires on the manifold, not powerful and felt like the jb4 did nothing. So we switched them and it felt normal.

This leads me to believe that at some point they did wire them in a way where rainbow belongs on the manifold, and there are some where brown goes on the manifold. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
So minor update to this thread. A friend of mine and I just installed a JB4 in his car and set up the wires the same was as on mine (rainbow to manifold). His car drove the same way that mine did when I had the brown wires on the manifold, not powerful and felt like the jb4 did nothing. So we switched them and it felt normal.

This leads me to believe that at some point they did wire them in a way where rainbow belongs on the manifold, and there are some where brown goes on the manifold. Just food for thought.
You may be right, they only way to know is to log the boost, on map one when its correct you should hit 20 psi at some point during the run, when I have rainbow on manifold I hit 20 psi multiple times on a run, when the brown is on the manifold it tops out at about 18.5. Try both ways and see what logs best on your car.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts