Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that one of my tires got a slight tear in the sidewall at some point but I didn't notice because it wasn't losing pressure. It's a clean cut about 2" long and maybe 1/2" deep, doesn't look like the tear went to the cords. I don't know if cut it to close to a curb or what happened but something sharp cut it very cleanly.

I took it to the dealership because it was about time for service anyway. When the advisor came out to look at it he agreed the tire needed to be replaced. Later on he called back and told me that "Hyundai" can not cover the tire replacement because the tire is safe. This contradicts my understanding of sidewall damage but I don't want to assume I know better than them. There's not much online about sidewall damage without leaks or broken cables. I almost just want to shove a knife into the tear and just tell them it burst on the way home but I'm not sure if it would be covered in that case either.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Any insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would say if you did not buy the tire warranty you are at their mercy. My wife hit a pothole with her new Elantra GT which caused a bubble on the sidewall. That service department nicely explained why it was not covered and I ended-up replacing the tire. I have never found the extended warranties pay for themselves over the long run.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts