Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally received the custom atlas shift knob i ordered from Anarchy motive back on February 4th. It has a 12 x 1.25mm thread and a .400 (maybe .500) deep counter bore in the bottom for the reverse lock ring. I threaded my shift rod with a die and then used the small jam nut provided by Anarchy to retain the reverse lockout spring. Then threaded the knob on as far down as possible while still allowing the reverse lock to function. The added weight compliments my Boomba short shift kit and bushings perfectly. Feels great now.
I know many people have had some really bad experiences with Anarchy Motive, but for me I am glad i received mine and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I had trouble getting decent installed pics because it was getting dark out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That’s sick! Very cool

Reactions: Rem234

·
Registered
140 Posts
I like the carbon trim too :)

Reactions: Rem234

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
Very nice. I wish those were available and in stock.

Br,

-Mike

Reactions: MikeMr305

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I was doing some sleuthing to try and figure out if I can get Raceseng shift knobs on the VN. I have the Sphereology in my Miata and absolutely love it, and so many other Miata owners swear by this brand.

I was comparing the Raceseng and Likewise adapter fitment charts:
https://www.raceseng.com/media/pdf/raceseng-shift-knob-fitment.pdf
Fitment

The Veloster N community has confirmed the Likewise Euro 12mm Adapter works on our cars. So I thought, okay, what other cars does it work on? And I notice VW Golf 1998+. So I look at the Raceseng chart, and there it is, a non-threaded adapter for VW and Audi ("Euro", ha!) that fits the Golf 1998+. Same thing happens when I compare the two charts for the Audi S4 2004-2016.

So I reached out to Raceseng and they got back to me very quickly, but not with good news:

The inner diameter of our VW/Audi adapter does measure 12.2mm However, we do not currently utilize a clamping style adapter. Rather ours has 4 knurled set screws. This may not be tight enough to not end up wobbling back and forth. Additionally, because your Veloster has a reverse lockout the VW adapter will likely get in the way of its operation. I do not know if it would be worth the time involved to test this.
If anyone feels inclined to give it a try anyway and report back, that would be awesome. I'm still on the fence on whether to spend 120+ bucks to try it after that response, but maybe someone feels more adventurous than I do.

EDIT: I should also mention the good news, though:
We are working on all the above! We also have new adapter styles in the works. Along with plans for the Veloster N reverse lockout! This way you will be able to use any of our shift knobs. Sign up for our email list to get all the updates on product releases right away!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was doing some sleuthing to try and figure out if I can get Raceseng shift knobs on the VN. I have the Sphereology in my Miata and absolutely love it, and so many other Miata owners swear by this brand.

I was comparing the Raceseng and Likewise adapter fitment charts:
https://www.raceseng.com/media/pdf/raceseng-shift-knob-fitment.pdf
Fitment

The Veloster N community has confirmed the Likewise Euro 12mm Adapter works on our cars. So I thought, okay, what other cars does it work on? And I notice VW Golf 1998+. So I look at the Raceseng chart, and there it is, a non-threaded adapter for VW and Audi ("Euro", ha!) that fits the Golf 1998+. Same thing happens when I compare the two charts for the Audi S4 2004-2016.

So I reached out to Raceseng and they got back to me very quickly, but not with good news:

If anyone feels inclined to give it a try anyway and report back, that would be awesome. I'm still on the fence on whether to spend 120+ bucks to try it after that response, but maybe someone feels more adventurous than I do.

EDIT: I should also mention the good news, though:
Damn! If I had only been a little more patient. I'm going to thread the shifter rod in my car with 12x1.25mm die and I've ordered sxth's knob with a 34mm reverse lockout space.

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
Please let us all know buddy after you do it. Very interested. I have been waiting for a heavier shift knob for a long time and no one wants to make them until now it seems. Thank God!

Br,

-Mike

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Mike, Likewise has a weighted shift knob, the Thicc Boi, and it just arrived last night. I haven't had time to install it yet but I'll give it a try today or tomorrow and report back.

I don't like Likewise's designs anywhere near Raceseng's, but I like experimenting enough where I thought I would try it as a way to hold me over for now.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Another option is what im doing. get a 12mm likewise adapter and have a custom knob maker make your dream shift knob in the likewise threading but the downtime is crazy. Been waiting like 4 months at this point.
Its a teardrop knob thats over 600 grams with a galaxy pattern with the N logo engraved.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Yeah, finding it kind of hard to find vendors that do M20x1.5, but if you have recommendations...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the guy im going with as his reviews are mostly negative. You practically gotta email everyone you can find to see if they'd make that custom threading, and check their reviews

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Well, I tried the Likewise "Thicc Boi" shift knob with the 12mm Euro Adapter. It fits fine, as reported, but the shift knob was not to my liking. It's meant just for side grip, and I like doing overhand shifting as well. Still, it's a quality piece of a weighted metal shift knob, just not my style. I'll be putting them up for sale on the forum and waiting for another aftermarket solution.

EDIT: I'm going to be the guinea pig and just try a Raceseng knob with their equivalent of the Euro Adapter meant for Audi & VW. If it works, great, everyone here will know they can buy and enjoy Raceseng knobs; if not, another knob to put up for sale on Audi and VW forums for a small loss.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Raceseng shift knob and their VW/Audi non-threaded adapter is on its way to me, shipped just now. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Raceseng shift knob and their VW/Audi non-threaded adapter is on its way to me, shipped just now. Wish me luck.
Why do you need the adapter for this one, is the thread larger than 12mm? If so maybe treading the shaft 12x1.25 and then finding/making a reducer bushing (threaded 12x1.25 in the inside and 20x1.5 or whatever on the outside) would be better, allowing you to have the shorter original length of the shift rod.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Why do you need the adapter for this one, is the thread larger than 12mm? If so maybe treading the shaft 12x1.25 and then finding/making a reducer bushing (threaded 12x1.25 in the inside and 20x1.5 or whatever on the outside) would be better, allowing you to have the shorter original length of the shift rod.
I was hoping not to have to thread the shifter shaft. Just trying things out that are the most easily reversible, for now. I might end up going down that path eventually.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Well, it was worth a try. Raceseng's adapter is much bigger profile than We Are Likewise's, the latter being narrow enough to have the VN's reverse lockout freely slide around it, the former being too big. I realized Likewise's M20x1.5 and Raceseng's 3/4''-16 are nearly identical in top thread, and was hoping to thread the Raceseng knob on the Likewise adapter (hah, silly me!), but nearly being the key word here, that didn't work. My search for a female M20x1.5 to male 3/4''-16 thread adapter bore no fruit.

So, it's either wait for Raceseng to come out with an adapter of their own, or thread the shifter arm if, and only if, I can find a 3/4''-16 to M12x1.5 thread reducer. Either way, the shifter arm threading seems like such a destructive (i.e. non-reversible mod) that I think I'd rather wait for an official solution for now, which would require Raceseng to either come out with a low-profile adapter, or a custom R-Lock.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Threading the shaft is reversible. Obviously you can't undo the threads, but the factory knob still pushes on so you can reverse back to original if needed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, it was worth a try. Raceseng's adapter is much bigger profile than We Are Likewise's, the latter being narrow enough to have the VN's reverse lockout freely slide around it, the former being too big. I realized Likewise's M20x1.5 and Raceseng's 3/4''-16 are nearly identical in top thread, and was hoping to thread the Raceseng knob on the Likewise adapter (hah, silly me!), but nearly being the key word here, that didn't work. My search for a female M20x1.5 to male 3/4''-16 thread adapter bore no fruit.

So, it's either wait for Raceseng to come out with an adapter of their own, or thread the shifter arm if, and only if, I can find a 3/4''-16 to M12x1.5 thread reducer. Either way, the shifter arm threading seems like such a destructive (i.e. non-reversible mod) that I think I'd rather wait for an official solution for now, which would require Raceseng to either come out with a low-profile adapter, or a custom R-Lock.
Any news on their reverse lockout and adapter for the VN? I really like how their knobs look!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts