Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all... So here is the deal, the used car market is nutso and I am really torn up. VRoom and Carvana are offering my $26700 for my 2019 Veloster N PP and I don't know what to do. I know its a sellers market out there but the fact that I paid $23.5 for this car drove it for a year and now stand to make $4000 over what I paid is quite odd. I love the car but that is not usually what happens with these things. Either way I am seeing if anyone else is considering this and if so what would you do if you sold yours? What other cars to consider? What route would go (new/used/EV)? Just looking to see if anyone else is in a similar position...

·
Registered
415 Posts
You're going to sell for more than you paid, but then you will pay more for your new / used car than you would in a regular market. The only people profiting here are the ones whose cars are not their sole vehicle, who can sell and then wait for the market to return to normal and get a good deal on another vehicle.

Ergo: you should keep the car, unless you have another vehicle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're going to sell for more than you paid, but then you will pay more for your new / used car than you would in a regular market. The only people profiting here are the ones whose cars are not their sole vehicle, who can sell and then wait for the market to return to normal and get a good deal on another vehicle.

Ergo: you should keep the car, unless you have another vehicle.
I have a 1998 V70 T5 Wagon as my second car... so its even more tempting

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then sell it and grab something more fun or equivalent when the market subsides.
yeah I am thinking I will go that route... as much as I love the car leaving cash on the table and the chance to get something cool is tough not to consider

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
A few things you don’t seem to be taking in account; money comes and goes but will you re-invest it in another car or yourself/family, what’s more important?

If you keep or sell it will you be satisfied and enjoy what you have?

Is it worth it to you in the long run?

Will it cause you more expense to keep it or sell it? What will you replace it with, considering the current market value of cars?

It won’t be the same, I can assure you of this. The profit you make, is already gone for another like or similar to it.

Insurance isn’t going to go down but up, likewise fuel and maintenance costs.

Just some additional things to consider, before jumping off in the abyss.

Yes, I understand it’s tempting but which will gain you a more realistic long term reward?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You paid 23,500 new? If so that's incredible. I might sell too if I was you. But I do have another car.
Nope it was used I bought it in October of 2020 and they had it marked as a non performance pack. Pushed them down and they really wanted my 2019 civic hatch sport so the trade in was silly as well. New would have been bonkers!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few things you don’t seem to be taking in account; money comes and goes but will you re-invest it in another car or yourself/family, what’s more important?

If you keep or sell it will you be satisfied and enjoy what you have?

Is it worth it to you in the long run?

Will it cause you more expense to keep it or sell it? What will you replace it with, considering the current market value of cars?

It won’t be the same, I can assure you of this. The profit you make, is already gone for another like or similar to it.

Insurance isn’t going to go down but up, likewise fuel and maintenance costs.

Just some additional things to consider, before jumping off in the abyss.

Yes, I understand it’s tempting but which will gain you a more realistic long term reward?
I enjoy the car and love it sometimes but I have also grown a bit tired of the rougher ride (even in normal) and "is it worth it in the long run?" well I counter this with "is any car worth it in the long run?" what are you using for "worth" are we discussing cash or enjoyment... obviously enjoyment is objective while cash is cash. My main point is that you almost alllllways lose out in the cash department with cars (or almost always) so this is why I am considering jumping on the deal during this weird market. I know this much that I can def sit back and see what happens in the market cause I have a second car. Here is the thing with the market...used cars are silly and expensive, but picking up 6 grand towards something is tempting. Lots to consider Red! Insurance isn't really a thing mine is $600 for 6 months now and any other car I consider should fall in around this price. Fuel is expensive on any car but the N gets **** MPG cause I drive mostly street so this is not really a thing keeping me in this car. Long term reward... I can say this... I get sick of cars and want new toys all the time, could I see myself owning the N forever?, nope absolutely not my brain just doesn't work like that. I love the car but my income limited my choices when I got it, I am set to double my salary soon so I doubt this car is in it for the long haul with me. It is my weekend fun thing and if I am going that route with more cash in my pocket then a Porsche or M2 will be what I will be looking at...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Just objective, protagonist thinking, nothing more. Sometimes the money looks good at first glance, then after considering all the parameters it may not be.

I’d rather see you think about them then react. That’s all. If your ducks are in a row and it’s advantageous for you then by all means partake.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just objective, protagonist thinking, nothing more. Sometimes the money looks good at first glance, then after considering all the parameters it may not be.

I’d rather see you think about them then react. That’s all. If your ducks are in a row and it’s advantageous for you then by all means partake.
absolutely Red! As mentioned I am really torn up cause its just rare that you can sell a car after a year of use and make money. Either way this is mostly a thought experiment and I truly appreciate your input

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sell the car for a profit and come back next year with a 2021 that way you’ll have the better seats. Sad part is they aren’t heated seats on 2021s ;(

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
477 Posts
You really do not need heated or cooled seats if they are cloth. The only car that I had with leather seats was my Stealth R/T. I HATED those seats. I like my low-budget cloth seats. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. My wife has leather seats in her Elantra GT so they need to be heated in the winter.

Reactions: Ghost

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N
61 Posts
This'll be a long one, but hear me out.

I'd normally say to take a profit, sell the car, drive another car you own for a couple of weeks and buy something new (or another N and either keep profit or get a newer model-year for basically free), but right now does not fit the classification of "normally". Most new cars are indefinitely out of production, with no end in sight. The problem is, manufacturing capacity. We have GM saying the shortage isn't as bad as feared, but then we have their supplier saying that while they will attempt to honor purchase orders, they will only be able to meet a small fraction of the requested production.

The problem is multi-fold. The first is quite simply that chip manufacturing is incredibly expensive to setup with very few companies able to foot the capital to build new production facilities, which means that global production capacity is well below global demand, and this has actually been true for quite some time now; the problem has just been growing worse. The second problem is that whether you believe in global warming or not (I don't care either way), the reality is that the region most manufacturing is located in (various parts of Asia) has been pummeled by quickly worsening weather over the last decade, and many facilities have been permanently damaged by flooding and hurricanes. It literally took a decade for hard-drive manufacturing to recover after massive flooding in Thailand wiped out a large portion of the global production capability.

The third problem is that global tensions are rising and it's directly threatening production. Many of the countries that production is located in, are now being directly threatened by China. Military expansion in the South China Sea, and an increasing number of military conflicts with China by both local and US fleets has made many companies wary of continued business in the region, and has prevented expansion of existing production, for fear of massive loss should open conflict break-out in the region. I mean, literally yesterday, the Chinese military warned that they would expel US naval fleets from its waters (to be frank, China considers everything west of Hawaii to be their territorial waters), specifically referring to US naval vessels in international waters near Vietnam. The US response was of course lengthier than this, but could be summarized as "come and make us." With the Chinese-state media now calling for preparations for nuclear war against the US, and the US mobilizing carrier groups for battle in the South China Sea as well as readying previously moth-balled ships, future production of many goods, but especially silicon chips will likely halt all-together soon.

So bringing this back to point, I think it'd actually be smart to hold on to what you have right now, unless the plan is to sell it for profit and use another vehicle you already own, and not buy anything for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
477 Posts
Interesting and well reasoned. I have stated that China will take Taiwan before this time next year. I hope I am wrong. I served in the U.S. Navy many years ago and I did my cruises in the Western Pacific. In fact, we rescued 111 Vietnamese boat people in the South China Sea. The least we could do. We are weakening our military right now. I have a nephew, who is an Army sharp-shooter and medic, he fears being thrown out due to his voting record and views. China is building-up its military and has the financial strength to do so. Our resources seem to be going to keep people idle. So between cyclical weather events and the current political situation, I can see chip manufacturing could be impacted long term. Many components for electric cars, as well as key drugs, come from China too. A conflict with China would be very serious for the United States outside of the usual sabre-rattling. Like it or not, we all have to get along.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This'll be a long one, but hear me out.

I'd normally say to take a profit, sell the car, drive another car you own for a couple of weeks and buy something new (or another N and either keep profit or get a newer model-year for basically free), but right now does not fit the classification of "normally". Most new cars are indefinitely out of production, with no end in sight. The problem is, manufacturing capacity. We have GM saying the shortage isn't as bad as feared, but then we have their supplier saying that while they will attempt to honor purchase orders, they will only be able to meet a small fraction of the requested production.

The problem is multi-fold. The first is quite simply that chip manufacturing is incredibly expensive to setup with very few companies able to foot the capital to build new production facilities, which means that global production capacity is well below global demand, and this has actually been true for quite some time now; the problem has just been growing worse. The second problem is that whether you believe in global warming or not (I don't care either way), the reality is that the region most manufacturing is located in (various parts of Asia) has been pummeled by quickly worsening weather over the last decade, and many facilities have been permanently damaged by flooding and hurricanes. It literally took a decade for hard-drive manufacturing to recover after massive flooding in Thailand wiped out a large portion of the global production capability.

The third problem is that global tensions are rising and it's directly threatening production. Many of the countries that production is located in, are now being directly threatened by China. Military expansion in the South China Sea, and an increasing number of military conflicts with China by both local and US fleets has made many companies wary of continued business in the region, and has prevented expansion of existing production, for fear of massive loss should open conflict break-out in the region. I mean, literally yesterday, the Chinese military warned that they would expel US naval fleets from its waters (to be frank, China considers everything west of Hawaii to be their territorial waters), specifically referring to US naval vessels in international waters near Vietnam. The US response was of course lengthier than this, but could be summarized as "come and make us." With the Chinese-state media now calling for preparations for nuclear war against the US, and the US mobilizing carrier groups for battle in the South China Sea as well as readying previously moth-balled ships, future production of many goods, but especially silicon chips will likely halt all-together soon.

So bringing this back to point, I think it'd actually be smart to hold on to what you have right now, unless the plan is to sell it for profit and use another vehicle you already own, and not buy anything for the foreseeable future.
yeah this is what I have been thinking about... honestly so much is up in the air right now. I am sort of torn because I do love my car but it isnt getting much attention at the moment with my volvo being my go to. Either way I am also considering that I could try something different not just a new option. As far as brand new there is nothing that peaks my attention that I can even remotely afford and at 30K price new there is nothing that touches the N as far as I am concerned. The other part that is playing around in my head to go with something a bit more civilized. I have no intentions of ever modifying my N (sorry bone stock for me) and would do the same to anything else that I would get. I am considering a sporty coupe which would offer a bit more of a relaxing around the town feel while also having some get up and go. Top choices are s5 and m235i or c300 right now and those used are not too bad considering everything. Sure I would lose a year or two in the new category and a bit on the track performance but after driving my volvo around getting into the N is a rough transition for ride quality that i appreciate a bit less now. As mentioned lots in my head.. Long term global challenges and driving a car that gets 20mpg at the moment doesnt help

1 - 20 of 35 Posts