Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know the Veloster N has a zero scrub radius. Changing the position of the tire either through spacers or changing tire/wheel size will change this radius. I had a few questions about how much scrub radius will affect the feel of the car. If I were to add spacers to make the look more flush this would change the radius, or if I added wider tires and wheels this would also. Is there a wheel/tire setup that is wider that will keep the zero scrub radius? On the other end of this question is if I do either get wider tires and wheels or spacers, and I no longer have a zero scrub radius, how much will this change the feel of the car? Will this only be noticeable on tracking the car hard? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I pretty much have the same question. I'd love to fit a 245 size and change to an 18" wheel, but I don't want to negatively affect the handling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Enkei TS-10 18x8.5 +50 245/40/18. The scrub radius is only changed by a few mm so you are fine. A lot of people run this setup including me.
Thanks for the reply! I do want a 10 spoke wheel, but I was looking for more of a curved spoke and concave look. But knowing the spec I am looking for is huge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was looking for more of a curved spoke and concave look. But knowing the spec I am looking for is huge.
I know you are not trying to be a hypocrite but just letting you know thats a hypocritical statement lol.

If you want a concave look you have to increase offset. Probably closer to +35 but then you might get issues fitting a 245 tire and the scrub radius increases.
So you have to decide if you want concave or 245/unchanged scrub.

Others will probably chime in later with their thoughts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know you are not trying to be a hypocrite but just letting you know thats a hypocritical statement lol.

If you want a concave look you have to increase offset. Probably closer to +35 but then you might get issues fitting a 245 tire and the scrub radius increases.
So you have to decide if you want concave or 245/unchanged scrub.

Others will probably chime in later with their thoughts
Rereading that, I can agree with you. I have seen that the more concave looks require more offset and that makes sense to me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I run a 245/40/18 on an 18x8.5 +35 wheel and don't notice much of a difference from the stock wheels in terms of overall handling. Maybe its a tad slower on inputs but I noticed no huge difference at the track.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I run a 245/40/18 on an 18x8.5 +35 wheel and don't notice much of a difference from the stock wheels in terms of overall handling. Maybe its a tad slower on inputs but I noticed no huge difference at the track.
So that'd be like an 18x9 +47... No rubbing ? And do you think a 255 fits ? And how much room do you think there is left to the fenders ?

I have no more questions 😅

·
Registered
288 Posts
So that'd be like an 18x9 +47... No rubbing ? And do you think a 255 fits ? And how much room do you think there is left to the fenders ?

I have no more questions 😅
I'm lowered on whiteline springs, so no I could not clear a 255 on the outer side... but the inner clearance would be fine.

Not sure what it would be like in regards to other offsets. I was always told offset is offset, an 18x8.5 + 35 will have the same offset as an 18x9 +35. I think you are comparing to backspacing and trying to keep the 0 scrub radius? correct? If so I have no idea and it was never important enough for me to care to keep it at 0 on this car lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm lowered on whiteline springs, so no I could not clear a 255 on the outer side... but the inner clearance would be fine.

Not sure what it would be like in regards to other offsets. I was always told offset is offset, an 18x8.5 + 35 will have the same offset as an 18x9 +35. I think you are comparing to backspacing and trying to keep the 0 scrub radius? correct? If so I have no idea and it was never important enough for me to care to keep it at 0 on this car lol.
I'm trying to compare a similar outer stick out lol. Tho it might be closer to +41 for a 9", not +47 (the entire wheel widens not just one side vs the hub derp), vs yours at 8.5" +35. Inner clearance doesnt worry me too much at these offsets, the outer clearance does tho.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
19 Posts
OP sorry I'm unable to help you. I don't know any of this terminology but have a related question. After hitting a pothole, getting alignment done, then hitting another and losing a tire the next day, I'm done with low profile tires. I've decided I like the Enkei TS5 best.

Size/offset/pattern
18x8.5405x108
18x8.5385x114.3
18x8.5455x100

Which of these should I go with? And is 245/40R18 my best bet for tire size or are there other options?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stick to this.

OP sorry I'm unable to help you. I don't know any of this terminology but have a related question. After hitting a pothole, getting alignment done, then hitting another and losing a tire the next day, I'm done with low profile tires. I've decided I like the Enkei TS5 best.

Size/offset/pattern
18x8.5405x108
18x8.5385x114.3
18x8.5455x100

Which of these should I go with? And is 245/40R18 my best bet for tire size or are there other options?
Wheels have to be 5x114.3 bolt pattern

18x8 - 235/40/18

18x8.5 - 245/40/18

Offset should be between 45-55.

I don't recommend any of those options above

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
19 Posts
Stick to this.

Wheels have to be 5x114.3 bolt pattern

18x8 - 235/40/18

18x8.5 - 245/40/18

Offset should be between 45-55.

I don't recommend any of those options above
That's invaluable info, thanks so much. No wonder I've never seen anyone running those rims. My understanding is that spacers would only decrease the offset and would be useless in this situation. Is that correct?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts