Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think he's pretty spot on and I can't really argue any of the cons he mentioned. Luckily for me every single one of them is something that's low on my list of priorities and is why I own one. Everything this car does right is what I want out of a car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he's pretty spot on and I can't really argue any of the cons he mentioned. Luckily for me every single one of them is something that's low on my list of priorities and is why I own one. Everything this car does right is what I want out of a car.
I could have written much the same thing!

Actually, I think his title is more negative than the review. IIRC, at the end he even says the words the car "is great".

I'll disagree with him on exhaust sound. But no big deal.

Very thorough review.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing he says that I will follow-up on is the steering. I've been driving N custom with the Sport+ setting for the steering. He disses it and says to go for the Normal setting on it. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
876 Posts
He doesn't drive one on a daily basis, nor does he have any real time experience with the car.

Negativity, is what this guy is about. It's not hard to see. He even overlaps photos of the Veloster R-Spec trying to pawn it off as the VN.:rolleyes:

Not car is perfect and his deal is to find out what's wrong with the car and elaborate on it. He doesn't like technology, he doesn't like the pops and crackles (but he does on the Supra), he doesn't like the size and it goes on and on. Make up your mind and stick with it. don't be a wishy, washy blogger. Keep in mind this is all he is. If you find what's good about the car, you'll uncover the no so good. This is why I stay away from opinionated commentary in such videos. It's personal and emotionally driven. It's not a neutral perspective, which is what any auto tester needs to work from.

He likes the Supra but finds all sorts of small issue to rag about. He states, "he thinks all BMW's are alike!" Guess what Sherlock, the Supra is a BMW, chassis, powertrain and allot of the electronics. The Supra is a bog let down, for all the hoopla Toyota made about it.

He's a YT channel, paid, car blogger! That's it, just like hundreds of others. Take away the money and he won't be around.:smile:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have to admit I was a bit bothered by the review, especially because the "not great, not terrible" title does not seem like the best way to sum up a review that points out a lot of superlatives. He even says, "(as) great as this car is Hyundai needs so much work on the dealer side."

And immediately after saying how horrendous the rear seat ride is with the N mode suspension, he points out how nice the VN is as a daily driver if you used the N custom mode to put a couple of things into normal settings.

Anyway, it's nice that today I found the print edition of the Road and Track PCOTR edition. Having a panel of drivers almost unanimously choose the VN over cars costing several times the VN price is pretty cool.

Thanks,
- Joe

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone gets totally bored over the holidays, they could do a few small edits of the savagegeese review, and then post a video called, "savagegeese heaps praise on the Veloster N".

When you get to the bottom-line of how he says you should drive the VN, and you get to the conclusion that the best hot hatches choices available are either the VN, the Type R, or the Golf R, you have to say this review has a lot of very positive things to say. But savagegeese likes to be contrarian, and no doubt relishes being the outlier in his opinion among the prominent YouTubers. It's his schtick. And TBH I enjoy hearing from one snarky voice in a room of cheerleaders, especially if that person is thorough and I am learning something.

The tough thing is to take it for what is, and not let the snarky packaging of the message bother you. Not too much, anyway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I saw both videos. He offered his opinion of exhausts that make noise and that's valid. It's HIS opinion and he used the VN as an example.

But the other video- calling the VN not great but not bad doesn't make a lot of sense. At the end of the video he says that that the engine, transmission and some other stuff (can't remember exactly) are "great". I don't understand why the video is named as it is when he contradicts himself. It's almost like he's looking for a reason to hate it.

I'm trying to look past my own bias (I bought one after all) but that video is confusing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I found the review to be spot on about everything except the snide comment about the N exhaust mode! I was lucky enough to drive a Porsche Turbo S recently and for me regarding his cheap interior comment, it's only at this level where I really get impressed at interior quality. Soft plastic and a few leather wrapped pieces that are inside most of the cars costing more than the N don't mean anything to me. To take a less expensive architecture and make it work very well at a great price point I value that more than SavageGeese but to each his own. I was considering a BMW M2 but decided at the moment I have better use for the additional coin and my N is fun as my daily driver/occasional track car. Lastly my dealer experience couldn't have been better, I got to flog the car and drive it to an offsite storage yard where I compared the N in different colors in the same light.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Everybody is praising the N and everybody has heard over and over what's great about it. I agree he is trying to find things that are less than great about it. I don't think he has anything against the car but like said above its to get views on the channel. In fact he really seems to like the car but like he pointed out if you place higher priority on refinement, interior "quality", and other comforts than you do on driving satisfaction then the N will not be as suitable for you as the other hatches that are $5-10k more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts