Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RSX in the video has a few modifications however the biggest are that it's supercharged and is running on E85. To give some comparison, it's quicker than a KO4 MK6 GTI and a stage 2 MK7 GTI.

Veloster N has all the modifications involved with the upgraded pure turbo and 21 psi calibration from SXTH Element.

Just to comment on the results. The RSX owner took their time shifting in the first clip which is why I think the Veloster pulled away even though Veloster owner needs to work on managing wheel spin and shift timing. In the second clip the results were a lot more even with the RSX gaining right before they let off. I'm impressed with the Veloster's performance considering I've only witnessed a few cars give that RSX that much of a hard time.

Link to video

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
What do you mean a hard time? LOL.... The Veloster won both times. If anything the RSX was giving the N a hard time. If the N started in 2nd instead of 3rd on that 30mph roll it would have beaten the RSX by more if the N could have kept traction...... Nice video, regardless. Thank you.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
As the owner of an RSX (base) and hopefully future owner of an N, I'd say that the N is a better car overall. The RSX is at best 14 years old, has tons more aftermarket support, and is lighter. The N however has better base technology, and I feel a better overall driving dynamic. As to which is faster, it all boils down to who has more money to spend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's definitely true but it gets interesting when both cars have about the same amount invested into them and it becomes more of a driver's race. Also where I live there are a lot of muscle cars and most of them underestimate forced induction 4 cylinders.

I mostly look at who has a better performing car for less. The Veloster N has a lot of potential but I imagine if I want to push mine any farther I will have to worry about something failing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don’t see it being even as well. The 2nd run the veloster spun off the start and still pulled hard. Also in the second run the RSX let off at the very top of the gear. If he shifted and went into the next gear the N would of kept pulling. I search “Veloster N vs” almost every week to see what new videos pop up but right now not a lot of racing vids for the N.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t see it being even as well. The 2nd run the veloster spun off the start and still pulled hard. Also in the second run the RSX let off at the very top of the gear. If he shifted and went into the next gear the N would of kept pulling. I search “Veloster N vs” almost every week to see what new videos pop up but right now not a lot of racing vids for the N.
Unfortunately the second run was cut short since the RSX driver was worried about catching up to traffic infront of us. From my perspective at the very end before he let off I was no longer pulling away and he was possibly gaining on me. I also didn't get a good recording but we did a 50 mph start and it seemed like both cars are closer at that speed. I plan on recording my VN against our KO4 MK6 GTI and the stage 2 MK7 GTI in the near future. My brother owns a non PP Veloster N with a JB4 module so we will probably record a video showing a difference in performance as well.

I haven't had much luck with impromptu racing by where I live but I also don't go out of my way to find competition. I will post anything that I come across though in the future.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's definitely true but it gets interesting when both cars have about the same amount invested into them and it becomes more of a driver's race. Also where I live there are a lot of muscle cars and most of them underestimate forced induction 4 cylinders.

I mostly look at who has a better performing car for less. The Veloster N has a lot of potential but I imagine if I want to push mine any farther I will have to worry about something failing.
So the Veloster has 6k worth of mods on a 30k car, and the RSX has 30k worth of mods on a 6k car?
Also, having watched the video now, neither driver is worth a damn. The first tell is they're roll racing on a public road. Neither guy knows how to shift or run through the powerband.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the Veloster has 6k worth of mods on a 30k car, and the RSX has 30k worth of mods on a 6k car?
Also, having watched the video now, neither driver is worth a damn. The first tell is they're roll racing on a public road. Neither guy knows how to shift or run through the powerband.
Ah man I was typing up a response with a price breakdown comparing costs of what the owner's paid since both cars have only had one owner but sure if you wanted to pick either car up today the RSX is quite cheaper.
Also I appreciate the feedback on the driving. I'll make sure to forward that to the appropriate parties and they will immediately stop street racing. It is quite dangerous on a virtually empty road. In regards to the shifting, some people should just stick to an automatic as learning when/how to shift is far too difficult.

In all seriousness though if you do have recommendations on how to improve as a manual driver then let me know. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ah man I was typing up a response with a price breakdown comparing costs of what the owner's paid since both cars have only had one owner but sure if you wanted to pick either car up today the RSX is quite cheaper.
Also I appreciate the feedback on the driving. I'll make sure to forward that to the appropriate parties and they will immediately stop street racing. It is quite dangerous on a virtually empty road. In regards to the shifting, some people should just stick to an automatic as learning when/how to shift is far too difficult.

In all seriousness though if you do have recommendations on how to improve as a manual driver then let me know. Constructive criticism is always welcome.
Thanks for sharing the Veloster's N potential horsepower capabilities. Good to see that a VN can go as fast as it looks. A tuned supercharged RSX-S (not a base model) running on E85 is a good competitor to reference your performance baseline too. Having been a competitive driver for many years, I’m always impressed to see cars that can generate enough torque to break their tires loose and spin them going 30 mph (anyone can spin their tires at a standing start). As for the shifting style, I'm guessing that you and the other driver were being conserative being that it was a friendly comparison and are saving your drivetrains for when it really matters. As for the racing sport, it's unfortunate that many areas don’t have tracks that support rolling start racing (not everyone can afford to beat the **** out of their drivetrain). I do give credit to both drivers being cautious by picking a section of highway that had a wide surface that was in good condition, excellent view with zero obstructions, and with no side intersections or traffic. Now for the other forum member who is a Debbie Downer with nonconstructive criticism, it’s hard to respect anyone's opinion who comes from a state that allows destructive rioting to take place. Keep us posted on your future mods!

·
Registered
52 Posts
WOW, that was great race, that N should be around 340whp. So props to the RSX. But the tru test would be on tight mountain road, or a road course or autocross. I think then the N would be light years ahead of the RSX. Be world fun to run head to head on the track/ autocross see how they both compare.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for sharing the Veloster's N potential horsepower capabilities. Good to see that a VN can go as fast as it looks. A tuned supercharged RSX-S (not a base model) running on E85 is a good competitor to reference your performance baseline too. Having been a competitive driver for many years, I’m always impressed to see cars that can generate enough torque to break their tires loose and spin them going 30 mph (anyone can spin their tires at a standing start). As for the shifting style, I'm guessing that you and the other driver were being conserative being that it was a friendly comparison and are saving your drivetrains for when it really matters. As for the racing sport, it's unfortunate that many areas don’t have tracks that support rolling start racing (not everyone can afford to beat the **** out of their drivetrain). I do give credit to both drivers being cautious by picking a section of highway that had a wide surface that was in good condition, excellent view with zero obstructions, and with no side intersections or traffic. Now for the other forum member who is a Debbie Downer with nonconstructive criticism, it’s hard to respect anyone's opinion who comes from a state that allows destructive rioting to take place. Keep us posted on your future mods!
For what it's worth, I don't support rioting any more than I support racing on public roads. I'm old enough to have done street racing myself, and learned hard lessons because of it. I'd rather save others having to learn them the hard way.
If you want to race, find a track. Period. Every state has at least one, including my lawless state of chicken-poop brained idiots who think riots, burning, and dragging poor young women from a convenience store to beat up on her in a parking lot is a good way to "protest" abuse by those in power. Irony is clearly lost on them, but considering the status of our schools, I'm not shocked they don't know the concept.

So sorry I'm a downer.

As far as shifting, while it's fun to spin your tires at 30mph, it demonstrates you have more power than you do traction, so you need to either roll into the gas slower, get more tire, or both. Back when I was young enough to street race, I had a 74 Trans Am 455 that could spin the tires at pretty much any speed. I packed the wheel wells full with a 275/60/15 back in 1994, and that did most of what I needed. That engine had ridiculous amounts of torque, and if I just floored it, I'd need new tires. Roll into it, learn how to roll into it quickly enough to accelerate without spinning them. If the other guy ends up spinning, yay you. That gets you just that much more pull on them. The N is designed for early boost, getting it's power low in the power band. You can get it tuned to bring the power band a little higher (and a little longer) up the rev range while still maintaining a ton of the lower end grunt. Once you're off and running with full traction, shift just as the power drops, grab the next gear and repeat.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Lmao I was pulling ahead of a noisy dodge challenger with my basically stock vn pp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For what it's worth, I don't support rioting any more than I support racing on public roads. I'm old enough to have done street racing myself, and learned hard lessons because of it. I'd rather save others having to learn them the hard way.
If you want to race, find a track. Period. Every state has at least one, including my lawless state of chicken-poop brained idiots who think riots, burning, and dragging poor young women from a convenience store to beat up on her in a parking lot is a good way to "protest" abuse by those in power. Irony is clearly lost on them, but considering the status of our schools, I'm not shocked they don't know the concept.

So sorry I'm a downer.

As far as shifting, while it's fun to spin your tires at 30mph, it demonstrates you have more power than you do traction, so you need to either roll into the gas slower, get more tire, or both. Back when I was young enough to street race, I had a 74 Trans Am 455 that could spin the tires at pretty much any speed. I packed the wheel wells full with a 275/60/15 back in 1994, and that did most of what I needed. That engine had ridiculous amounts of torque, and if I just floored it, I'd need new tires. Roll into it, learn how to roll into it quickly enough to accelerate without spinning them. If the other guy ends up spinning, yay you. That gets you just that much more pull on them. The N is designed for early boost, getting it's power low in the power band. You can get it tuned to bring the power band a little higher (and a little longer) up the rev range while still maintaining a ton of the lower end grunt. Once you're off and running with full traction, shift just as the power drops, grab the next gear and repeat.
Before posting I knew street racing is a controversial topic to bring up on a forum so I expected some negativity. I was disappointed to be insulted by a fellow car enthusiast about my driving ability and what I'm interested in. This is off-putting especially to new members such as me. I'm avoiding the n-cars forum due to some of the members more sarcastic attitude to less knowledgeable members.

I think there's a drag strip somewhat near where I live and I'll definitely have to stop by there if they have events set up like that. I'll wait until my stock clutch goes before I do that though.

I agree about spinning my tires. To be honest I'm not used to driving a car with this much torque and horsepower. That was also my 2nd and 3rd run taking off at that speed. I'm still trying to figure out how quickly I can press the pedal before they spin.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Ok, get along guys. lol.... Life is hard enough! Some things you just have to shrug off. As a society we USED to do this. We need to start some place, right? ;)

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
Before posting I knew street racing is a controversial topic to bring up on a forum so I expected some negativity. I was disappointed to be insulted by a fellow car enthusiast about my driving ability and what I'm interested in. This is off-putting especially to new members such as me. I'm avoiding the n-cars forum due to some of the members more sarcastic attitude to less knowledgeable members.

I think there's a drag strip somewhat near where I live and I'll definitely have to stop by there if they have events set up like that. I'll wait until my stock clutch goes before I do that though.

I agree about spinning my tires. To be honest I'm not used to driving a car with this much torque and horsepower. That was also my 2nd and 3rd run taking off at that speed. I'm still trying to figure out how quickly I can press the pedal before they spin.
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I have a thick skin, and expect that from anyone on the internet because well, it's the internet.

I was harsh about your driving, and offered some advice in an attempt to clear the air on that front. I take issue with street racing because once people start doing that, the police crack down hard once they hear about it, and it makes it harder for the rest of us to enjoy a minor excess of the speed limit on an empty stretch of road. So, it hurts ALL of us. All it takes is some nosy person to call in and they start cracking down.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Threads have to be like TV; if you don't like what's in it then change the channel. Seriously, we ALL need to get along. Did anyone even read my previous post? If this gets worse I just may have to close or delete the thread. You are going to find a "This VS That" in any car forum. Just don't click on it if it disgusts you. Very simple.... And this is to everyone, no one specific.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes and yes? That little N will surprise ya, it seems!

Go talk to the ole boys hanging around with some of their older American muscle; a lot aren't worth high dollar, but sure look pretty and have passion behind 'em. Let's not be a try-hard with our use of depreciation, it ain't reddit here.

And are we triggered by public roads or not into the N? Time goes on and newer cars become old. The DC5 gets relegated to internet humor I guess.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I have a thick skin, and expect that from anyone on the internet because well, it's the internet.

I was harsh about your driving, and offered some advice in an attempt to clear the air on that front. I take issue with street racing because once people start doing that, the police crack down hard once they hear about it, and it makes it harder for the rest of us to enjoy a minor excess of the speed limit on an empty stretch of road. So, it hurts ALL of us. All it takes is some nosy person to call in and they start cracking down.
Virtue my signal! Have a little fun and it's like a dog whistle for the type who's gonna learn ya the value of a dollar while teaching you how to drive.

Even my overly liberal neighbors in home-sweet-home Chicago would roll their eyes rn... :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, heading back in the topic direction.. bravo to the N driver! That's a quick little bastard and about time we start seeing more builds pop up!!! RSX driver, I feel like there's more to the show... maybe we'll see what happens!

OP, if you were to guess or point to more info... how much power is the N probably pushing out!?! I am pleasantly surprised!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, new on here, I'm a vn owner up in Canada, and right from day I bought it, it's pure fun! It's not a quarter mile king, but doing Rollin pulls, it's impressive.that RSX needs better tires or lower pressure, supercharged si civics will walk away from alot of cars. The vn looses power up top, dunno with turbo upgrade bit just lightly bolted it's equivalent to a speed 3.. I had one, n alot alike for power delivery. Honda ppl are well Honda ppl.. the vn don't have much of a after market selection yet and what's out there it's pricey.. u can hands down make that RSX faster than the vn .. but u still have a 15 year old car with ripped jean leather, running a fart can exhaust, and every one knows you want to race.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts