Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

2021 Veloster N with DCT, just passed 5k miles. I’ve begun to notice when in traffic, in normal drive mode, 3rd gear around 1-2kRPM has “rough” moments as if somethings grinding. No noise, just a roughness you feel through the pedal and wheel, hard to describe other than that as I gradually accelerate in traffic for example at low speeds. Didn’t experience this when I bought it, only recently. Only occurs in 3rd gear between those RPMs. Don’t experience this in any other gear.

Not much of a car guy, taking it to Hyundai Friday but figured I’d see if anyone would have a clue as to what the issue could be. A bit worried as it is noticeable and I don’t want to be damaging it or anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got about 6300 miles on my but, have not encountered this. In fairness, I usually (95% of the time) drive in custom mode with all settings at max except for medium steering and suspension.

The DCT does shift more positively than a 'normal' automatic with a torque converter but, I've never noticed any grinding sensation/roughness. I'll go out in mine today and try to drive it the way that you describe in normal mode. If I notice anything similar I'll report back.

I can't imagine it needing a fluid change at so low of miles but, I would definitely take it in since its under warranty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I drove my car in normal mode last night and scrutinized for unusual sounds/vibrations. The only thing that I noticed is that the transmission upshifts at light throttle much sooner than you would if you were driving a manual. (All the auto manufacturers do this to improve fuel economy.) This leads to very slight 'lugging' at that speed. Is this what you are talking about? If so, perhaps the reason that you are experiencing it now, could be due to the additional load on the engine from the AC compressor - assuming it was cooler outside temperature when you bought it. You could try turning off the climate system the next time you experience this and see if it makes a difference.

If this is what it is, it is 'normal'. With an auto trans that has a torque converter, it hides this feeling a bit since, the converter isn't locked up at that speed. With a DCT, the clutches are disengaged, when it has selected a gear and you will feel a bit more vibration due to lugging - much more like a manual transmission would behave.

If this is not it, then the dealer should be able to find something since 'grinding' is not normal.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all,

2021 Veloster N with DCT, just passed 5k miles. I’ve begun to notice when in traffic, in normal drive mode, 3rd gear around 1-2kRPM has “rough” moments as if somethings grinding. No noise, just a roughness you feel through the pedal and wheel, hard to describe other than that as I gradually accelerate in traffic for example at low speeds. Didn’t experience this when I bought it, only recently. Only occurs in 3rd gear between those RPMs. Don’t experience this in any other gear.

Not much of a car guy, taking it to Hyundai Friday but figured I’d see if anyone would have a clue as to what the issue could be. A bit worried as it is noticeable and I don’t want to be damaging it or anything.
I'm having a kinda the same issue no Grinding but hesitation when punching down the acceleration, it takes its time buildin speed instead of blasting thru.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

Little follow up on this, brought it to the dealership, they took it for drive and said it’s just how the car drives as it’s more aggressive. Which can’t be the case because this 3rd gear grinding wasn’t happening when I got the car and for the first 3k miles. I’ll have to bring it back and go for a drive with them as I didn’t have time to during the first visit and had to take it back as I needed my car for driving. Really hoping it can be fixed, very frustrating to deal with in traffic, basically have to either sit in 2nd gear at high RPMs or go to 4th, just can’t be in 3rd gear in the 1-2k RPM range as it’s an on/off grinding sensation, no audible noise, can just feel it. Passengers feel it too, absolutely no clue. Hoping some mechanic can figure it out

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys,

Little follow up on this, brought it to the dealership, they took it for drive and said it’s just how the car drives as it’s more aggressive. Which can’t be the case because this 3rd gear grinding wasn’t happening when I got the car and for the first 3k miles. I’ll have to bring it back and go for a drive with them as I didn’t have time to during the first visit and had to take it back as I needed my car for driving. Really hoping it can be fixed, very frustrating to deal with in traffic, basically have to either sit in 2nd gear at high RPMs or go to 4th, just can’t be in 3rd gear in the 1-2k RPM range as it’s an on/off grinding sensation, no audible noise, can just feel it. Passengers feel it too, absolutely no clue. Hoping some mechanic can figure it out
could the grinding be something within the DCT Transmission? I really suggest going for a drive with the Hyundai rep and point it out to him as soon as feel it in 3rd gear. man I know these DCT's are new as hell so this kinda worries me now. Also... are u using the paddles while driving or just normal style?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could the grinding be something within the DCT Transmission? I really suggest going for a drive with the Hyundai rep and point it out to him as soon as feel it in 3rd gear. man I know these DCT's are new as hell so this kinda worries me now. Also... are u using the paddles while driving or just normal style?
It happens whether I’m using paddle shifts or in D. As long as I’m in 3rd gear and in the 1-2k RPM range I’ll feel it. It’s very consistent, only when I’m driving it hard and thus not in that RPM range do I not feel anything. i’m in traffic here and there so it’s infuriating to deal with, I’ll have to bring it back and drive with them and will update on whether they find anything. Such a fun car though, hope it can be fixed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to clarify further, the feeling is consistent, basically at the same specific RPMs while in 3rd gear, not random. It’s as if there’s a constant groove or something I’m grinding against for that little bit of time where I’m having the issue within the 1-2k RPM range in 3rd gear. Happens in any drive mode (normal, N mode, etc.) I go back for my first complimentary oil change at 6k miles so I’ll bring it up again then. I’ve been avoiding traffic or just manually shifting and keeping myself out of 3rd, at least in low RPMs, when in traffic. Very strange but absolutely consistent and at the same exact RPMs in 3rd gear

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I suggest you quit avoiding it. Drive the car, let it shift to 3rd, let the transmission do it’s business.

If it fails, then there’s a definitive issue. If it doesn’t, then it will either disappear or stay the same. You’ve got to give the tranny time to break in properly.

You’ve got a 100k warranty, it’s there for this purpose.

I suspect what your hearing is the clutch plates engagements. Time generally sorts things out, one way or the other.

Remember, the DCT isn’t like a regular converter trans. The minute you engage the brakes, the clutch plates will disconnect. It won’t reengage until the brake is released and throttle is applied.

Don’t ride the brake either, it’s bad for the DCT transmission and will cause the clutch plates to slip, causing the trans to overheat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts