Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone planning on attending this SCCA Track Night event? Would be great to meet other forum members and see more Ns out in the track.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you can move Atlanta six hours closer to me, I'm in!

I love these track nights. three sessions is enough. summer afternoon/evenings are great. price is right especially with the monthly discount from the vendors. it just sucks that all these tracks aren't close enough to me.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT Red/Black
23 Posts
Unfortunately, no. I pick up on call for my job Tuesday at Noon. I have been looking at Atlanta SCCA autocross events, though. Need to get the helmet first.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can move Atlanta six hours closer to me, I'm in!

I love these track nights. three sessions is enough. summer afternoon/evenings are great. price is right especially with the monthly discount from the vendors. it just sucks that all these tracks aren't close enough to me.
Agreed on all counts. It’s a great setup. I got 4 sessions at the last one I attended, and that was plenty.

For distance, I know some people will travel five or six hours, but I just can’t spend that much time for a single track day at this point. One to two hours travel is ideal.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, no. I pick up on call for my job Tuesday at Noon. I have been looking at Atlanta SCCA autocross events, though. Need to get the helmet first.
Hopefully next time! Next event at Road Atlanta is July 23rd.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
It would’ve been great to see you there. From what I gather you are experienced and being able to compare and glean from you would be helpful.
It's my bucket list track. I have done hundreds laps virtually there in Assetto Corsa, iRacing, and Forza. I really want to experience it in real life. If I get a truck to trailer my car one day, I will start travelling more for tracks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Agreed on all counts. It’s a great setup. I got 4 sessions at the last one I attended, and that was plenty.

For distance, I know some people will travel five or six hours, but I just can’t spend that much time for a single track day at this point. One to two hours travel is ideal.
I regularly travel 3 hours to Gingerman in Michigan (I'm in Indy) but its the six hours in my 2021 seats that kills me.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
it's 9.5 hours for me lol. It's doable if I combine it with something else.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I regularly travel 3 hours to Gingerman in Michigan (I'm in Indy) but its the six hours in my 2021 seats that kills me.
That’s some good dedication!

I’d be happy to take those horrible ‘21 seats off your hands 😉

·
Registered
172 Posts
That’s some good dedication!

I’d be happy to take those horrible ‘21 seats off your hands 😉
I sat in a fellow autocrosser's 2020 N yesterday. Those seats are much more comfortable. Lots more padding. But less bolstering.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I sat in a fellow autocrosser's 2020 N yesterday. Those seats are much more comfortable. Lots more padding. But less bolstering.
That’s good to know. From the comments on this forum I kind of thought so. I had a Fiesta ST with the Recaros and they were great on the track (for the 1% of the time that car was truly used on the track) but I wished for the regular seats for day-to-day use.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, shiny side is still up. Was intimated by Road Atlanta, but finally felt a bit comfortable by the last session.

There were 30 cars in the novice group, everything from Corvettes to ZL1 Camaros, GTI/Golf R, Audi S4, 911, Cayman, etc. Also met a guy from Orlando with a blue 21 Veloster who was killing it out there.

I’m a bad photographer, but here are some shots.

This 👆 Miata would soon go off and crunch the front end. The only crash of the event.

Car did great. Oil temp didn’t pass 238°F and coolant didn’t top 205°F. Conditions were about 75-85°F and mostly overcast. Need to finish that Wilwood brake upgrade. And a tune and downpipe is so tempting …

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What make/size tires do you have? How did they handle the nice weather? What temps were you running?
Falken RT615K+ in 235/40/18 on 18x8+45 wheels.

0 toe all around. -1.9° front camber and -1.5° rear camber.

Ran in N mode the whole time.

I don’t have a lot of experience with many different tires on track, but these were communicative, grippy, and only got greasy when I overdrive them with psi too high.

I started out with 38F/36R cold and ended up taking out 2 psi all around twice. After the reductions got me to about 45 psi up font and about 40psi rear when hot on track according to the gauge in the car.

Pics below are in order: RF, LF, LR, RR. The driveway is slanted so if the RR camber looks off it’s because of that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts