Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just spoke with the dealership about the radar they ordered for me on 11/16/21. Even though they initially told me it would take a week, it is now on backorder with no ETA available. I let them know that numerous VN owners are experiencing this same issue after changing the tires. I asked what was the best way to get Hyundai involved directly instead of putting this on the dealership and he said they already contacted Hyundai Tech Support to recalibrate the radar when they were troubleshooting. I can only assume that Hyundai is aware of the problem. He also elaborated a little on the issue - the sensors are not receiving enough power to function properly, that they were basically "completely dead". That's why Hyundai said to replace it. This whole experience is really frustrating because these are the issues you expect with a 10 year old car, not a new one. I filed a report with NHTSA, per @tcottle 's recommendation. I encourage everyone else do the same.

*Edit
My previous post didn't show up for me until I retyped what I could from memory and resubmit. Sorry for duplicate info and it won't let me delete it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the group. I would at least call them and let them know about the issue so they are aware of it. I feel the more dealership know about the issue, the quicker Hyundai will come up with a solution instead of letting the dealership deal with the problem. Which I know they won't be able to fix with out some type of software update to the cars computer. Congratulations on your new baby coming soon. I am curious if it's your first kid or not and if the VN is your only car. I don't have a kid yet but when I do I can convince my wife on how great of a family car it is 😁.
Thanks! Planning on submitting a NHTSA report as others have - if I had more time and any confidence that a call to the dealership would have an effect, I'd do that as well, but I'm currently feeling pretty pessimistic in that regard, ha.

I'll have to update here somewhere, maybe a "Baby-friendliness" thread, once she actually arrives and I have more experience to report on, heh. 😊 She will be my first, and the VN isn't my only car, but it actually does have quite a bit more space than my wife's crossover (Mazda CX-3; so basically a lifted, sliiiightly stretched Mazda2 - it has similar interior space to a Ford Fiesta, which is to say... not much). The baby played a pretty significant role in choosing this car - we recently moved across the country, so I sold my current car (Scion FR-S) to avoid having to pay to ship it across the country, and to take advantage of the crazy inflated used car prices - I was able to sell it for the same price I paid for it in 2017. I didn't think the shortage was going to last this long and come back to bite me in the a, though - so when we got here and started to get settled and I started shopping for a replacement, I really wanted the new BRZ; I loved my FR-S and it seemed like the new car fixed the minor complaints I did have. If baby was already here and was a bit older I probably still would have, since the almost-nonexistent rear seat seems to be fine for front-facing car seats, but we just couldn't really make a rear-facing seat fit and still be able to fit a second adult, ha. Plus they seem to be a bit delayed in getting here and we wanted to get back to 2 cars before baby arrived, in case of emergency and whatnot. So the BRZ/86 was ruled out because of this - all other 'fun' used cars are so ridiculously inflated that they hardly felt worth looking at (paying MSRP for a WRX with 100k miles on it is just insane). STI has always been my 'attainable dream car' so I looked at a few of those, but just couldn't get over either spending ~$30-35k for a car with 80k+ miles on it, or getting a new one for a bit more than that with an engine that's barely changed in ~15 years. I'm still planning on buying one someday, but.. 🤷‍♂️

So anyway - have been following Hyundai in the WRC for a long time, went to look at the Veloster, loved how immature it felt (though the one I originally test drove was modded to hell, which probably contributed to this), and brought the infant car seat along (it was a very important part of the test drive - salesman looked at us like we were crazy), and it passed with flying colors compared to my wife's car and the FR-S. That third door really helps on paper as well.

I've seen people complaining about their SO's opinions of the car, but my wife actually loves this car compared to all of my previous cars, both for ride comfort (even compared to her squishy rolly polly CX-3) and ease of access (she despised getting in and out of my FR-S), so it seemed a no brainer. I do wish it were $10k less expensive, though. Especially for the issues like this thread, and the terrrrrible paint quality. My rear bumper doesn't match the rest of the car. Paint is so thin and really poor quality on the edges/seams of the rest of the car. Oof. Had to cut costs somewhere I guess.

·
Registered
2022, VN 6MT
16 Posts
This happened to me the second after I got my Xtreme Contacts thrown on 2 days ago. Before doing so I would have a misread here and there but nothing BAD. Now its waaay more common. Dealer never heard of it but my salesman did say that they only sold a handful of Velosters, let alone N's in general. I went ahead and disconected the battery for a couple min and held the ignition on to drain the system of whatever charge may be in the system. After doing so I think it may have resolved itself. Only difference for me was that the driver side seems to read worse than passenger. I'll post an update to see if it's totally resolved or if it comes back.
'22 VN
Xtreme Contact DSW PLUS tires
You know I was wanting to do that but never did thinking the dealership would of all ready done that to fix the issue. Let me know if that does fix the issue and I will definitely try it myself.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Southern California, summer tire every day driver here.

On my 21 VN I had:
18x8.5 +50 wheels with 245/40/18 track tires, no BSD issues
18x8.5 +45 wheels with 235/40/18 Michelin PS4S summer tires, no BSD issues.

On my current 22 VN:
18x8.5 +45 wheels with 235/40/18 Michelin PS4S summer tires, its complicated now.

I put the wheels and tires on at 40 miles on the new car. I had zero issues until I reached 400 miles.
Now the BSD and Rear Cross Traffic is shut off and completely doesn't work. Gauge cluster says I need to get it checked at the dealer.
I never had false positives, its just completely off now. Going to the dealer on Friday.

Sometimes when driving for a while the warning goes away and it turns on the BSD system. It works perfectly fine. Therefore I don't think it's hardware or sensor related. Something in the software is freaking out and turning it off.
Update on my situation that is different then you guys.
The dealership checked all the wiring for the BSD and found the rear left sensor inside the rear bumper was not plugged in all the way. Everything is now working again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You know I was wanting to do that but never did thinking the dealership would of all ready done that to fix the issue. Let me know if that does fix the issue and I will definitely try it myself.
I will say I noticed an improvement but still a bit inaccurate. Previously it was:
100% = Always on
200% = Inverted. When cars are in blindspot it's off. When cars are nowhere near me its on.

Now:
25% = mostly wrong for drivers side. Passenger side works like a champ more so.

I only drove about 10 miles around town after doing the hard reset on the system. Will Update again when I have highway validation testing completed.

·
Registered
2022, VN 6MT
16 Posts
I will say I noticed an improvement but still a bit inaccurate. Previously it was:
100% = Always on
200% = Inverted. When cars are in blindspot it's off. When cars are nowhere near me its on.

Now:
25% = mostly wrong for drivers side. Passenger side works like a champ more so.

I only drove about 10 miles around town after doing the hard reset on the system. Will Update again when I have highway validation testing completed.
Ok, keep us updated. I have heard that some BSD systems take a couple of miles of driving to recalibrate itself after a complete reset. 🤞Hopefully this fix works or else it might be months before Hyundai comes out with a solution.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts