Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so I love RGB lighting and I recently purchased a few kits from Amazon; a 4pc LED strip kit for underdash/footwell(installed) and another kit for accents which consists of fiberoptics and tubing you fit into the creases of your interior (not installed yet). Also got some Hyundai welcome door lights with interchangeable films and a custom red alien head and a custom N performance logo film (below) on the way.

I installed the LED footwell strips and currently have them powered through the DC 12v, and the wire magically disappearing behind the panel to the upper left (picture below). The LED strips came with a few options to plug into a power source such as the DC 12v cigarette lighter port, and also 3 different adapters for a fuse tap option (all of which were the wrong sizes; I bought a micro2 fuse-tap separately)

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the fuse tap to work; I've looked up Youtube videos, I've tested the fuse-tap from both fuse boxes, using 10-20amp slots, and made sure to turn on the ignition and make sure power was running through the vehicle. I have NOT tried wiring directly to the blade of an inserted fuse.

I'm wondering if maybe the fuse-taps just don't fit in the fuse slots all the way down, causing the circuit to not be completed, but they look like an exact fit when comparing to the micro2 fuse.

My goal is to not go with the ugly, 2 socket DC 12v splitter (cigarette lighter insert) to use for both kits, and instead, utilize power from the fuse tap or from the battery somehow.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
The fuse slots you tried may not be terminated.
I don't have any good information at this time, but this is something I'm interested in doing.

I used a fuse tap for a dashcam in a previous vehicle with no issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The fuse slots you tried may not be terminated.
I don't have any good information at this time, but this is something I'm interested in doing.

I used a fuse tap for a dashcam in a previous vehicle with no issues.
Thanks, finally found my amp meter, i'll go see if I can find any good fuses slots.

*Update* to **** with that fiber optic kit; couldn't get any of the fuses to power the box. Something was wrong with the power box because the fuse taps had current going out.

Even after using the DC12v to power the box, the LEDs were not strong enough to run through the fiber optic/tubing..

So i just carefully mounted the fiber optics to point into one of the LED lights on the strips I already installed under the footwells.

https://youtu.be/1fxe5x7sd58

https://youtu.be/1lFPNn8ZF1M

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, finally found my amp meter, i'll go see if I can find any good fuses slots.

Update to **** with that fiber optic kit; couldn't get any of the fuses to power the box. Something was wrong with the power box because the fuse taps had current going out.

Even after using the DC12v to power the box, the LEDs were not strong enough to run through the fiber optic/tubing..

So i just carefully mounted the fiber optics to point into one of the LED lights on the strips I already installed under the footwells.

I bought an LED kit on amazong not to long ago. Where did you mount the strips under the drivers and passenger fronts? I took a quick look and there doesnt seem to be a flat spot to really mount to, especially under the drivers side.

·
Banned
10 Posts
I have xkglow lights in my car. I don’t remember which fuse I tapped into but I did use a fuse tap to wire them up with a button mounted to turn them on/off.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
77 Posts
Is there a way to turn on the blue strip light on the dashboard? I thought I saw my friends dashboard have that lit up. My 2021 doesn’t light up. Is it a feature to turn on?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know the heated seat fuse is a good one to tap into on non Canadian cars. I used a fuse tap on it for my radar detector. The cigarette plug and exposed wires would drive me crazy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The official Hyundai Accessories website has the interior lighting kit installation guide. Looks like they recommend tapping into the dimmer switch harness. I would probably trust and follow this wiring more than some random webpage or YouTube installation video.

Relevant bits:

Official Hyundai install guide PDF can be found on this page and clicking on Installation Guide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts