Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what triggers the rev match for each gear? Is it a sensor for each gate for the gear? Is it more mechanical? I have a weird issue or something that I think is weird. Whenever I am in a lower gear and coming to a stop, say second gear or sometimes 1st gear if I'm creeping up around a stop sign or red light I will depress the clutch while still in 1st or second and the rev's will go down as it's in neutral then it will blip back up as if it is trying to match back up into that gear. I make no change in clutch pressure but I may still have my hand on the shifter. This usually happens within 1 second of clutch depression. I am a novice with manual transmission. The last manual I owned was very long ago and obviously didn't have any rev matching. Is some sort of sensor being triggered wanting to blip the throttle back in preparation of me releasing my clutch and matching the speed? This isn't a consistent thing and I'm trying to find a way to replicate it to see if it's an issue or not. I have only had one situation where I thought it could be bad. I was driving from a stop at a red light to another red light. I take off in first and get to about 5k rpm as I was kind of driving a little fast. Then I would depress the clutch preparing for second as the next light just turned red. I had the clutch depressed but the shifter was still in first. Then about approximately a second later the revs jumped up trying to match wheel speed with engine speed. I'm not sure if I am explaining this well but I will try to get video if I can or once I experience it a bit more I can explain it better.

TLDR; Rev's are jumping up to match wheel speed in lower gear with clutch depressed and shifter in 1st or second.

·
Registered
287 Posts
There isn't a sensor on the shifter assembly itself if that is what you are asking, it definitely has to do with engine speed / vehicle speed / engine load though. I think the ECU logic blips the throttle because it assumes you are not braking and might be down shifting or slowing and starting again without using the brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know what triggers the rev match for each gear? Is it a sensor for each gate for the gear? Is it more mechanical? I have a weird issue or something that I think is weird. Whenever I am in a lower gear and coming to a stop, say second gear or sometimes 1st gear if I'm creeping up around a stop sign or red light I will depress the clutch while still in 1st or second and the rev's will go down as it's in neutral then it will blip back up as if it is trying to match back up into that gear. I make no change in clutch pressure but I may still have my hand on the shifter. This usually happens within 1 second of clutch depression. I am a novice with manual transmission. The last manual I owned was very long ago and obviously didn't have any rev matching. Is some sort of sensor being triggered wanting to blip the throttle back in preparation of me releasing my clutch and matching the speed? This isn't a consistent thing and I'm trying to find a way to replicate it to see if it's an issue or not. I have only had one situation where I thought it could be bad. I was driving from a stop at a red light to another red light. I take off in first and get to about 5k rpm as I was kind of driving a little fast. Then I would depress the clutch preparing for second as the next light just turned red. I had the clutch depressed but the shifter was still in first. Then about approximately a second later the revs jumped up trying to match wheel speed with engine speed. I'm not sure if I am explaining this well but I will try to get video if I can or once I experience it a bit more I can explain it better.

TLDR; Rev's are jumping up to match wheel speed in lower gear with clutch depressed and shifter in 1st or second.
I am not sure in terms of sensors or ecu programming that is responsible for the blip/rev match however mine does this too just about every time so I wouldn't think there is an issue. I believe all VN's do this as part of the rev match system/programming that Hyundai uses.

·
Registered
18 Posts

My car does the exact same thing but I've never been worried about it. When I come to a stop sign I shift to neutral and about a half second later it blips the throttle by itself. Sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N, PP, Chalk White
3 Posts

Mine also does this, in every setting of Rev match, and it varies in ferocity accordingly. Its totally normal, and just as stated before, its a preemptive move, incase you decide to cram it back in 1st and go, the car wants to be ready. If the sound ignores you, wait longer to clutch in, maybe around 12 or 1300RPM, before the bog point! Otherwise just listen to the sound!

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
19 Posts
My car does this in first gear as well when rev match is on. I honestly found it embarassing to sound like a novice stick driver in parking lots (I guess I am more self conscious than most), so I turned off rev match. It's also more fun to do it myself, although the car does it better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts