·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
288 Posts
I feel like the Rev6 is the better unit, but I have no practical experience with either. The Lap3 version of the Rev6 can adjust timing as well, just FYI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wanting to get some opinions on which you think would be the better option of these two? For reference, I have a 2021 DCT. Just to list some mods that the car will also have: intercooler, catted dp, non resonated mid pipe, CAI, turbo inlet, catch can, BOV. All advice is welcome!

SCORCHER GT Power Module | aFe POWER
vs
Rev6 ECU Piggyback module (sxthelement.com)

Can't say if the scorcher is better, but I did have a great experience with the Rev6 on my DCT. My favorite feature is being able to configure maps 1 - 3 to different driving mods in the PC application. Also had great experience with their support. Nathan was able to answer all the questions I had. The only mods I had was an intake, the upgraded spark plugs, and a catch can. However, I was able to grab an ECU tune for the DCT so I'm no longer using the Rev6.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a scorcher and it feels like it bumped me up to at least 310 ft-lbs which is great for daily street driving, So i do recommend it. I did want the Rev 6 because it is an even better unit but what stopped me from getting that was the whole splicing in to the cars wiring harness. The scorcher takes 2 minutes to plug in or out and the dealers never notice a thing.
the scorcher is a very simple unit that works well.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a scorcher and it feels like it bumped me up to at least 310 ft-lbs which is great for daily street driving, So i do recommend it. I did want the Rev 6 because it is an even better unit but what stopped me from getting that was the whole splicing in to the cars wiring harness. The scorcher takes 2 minutes to plug in or out and the dealers never notice a thing.
the scorcher is a very simple unit that works well.
Oh, I didn't realize the Rev 6 was spliced in, that sounds like it would make it more annoying to quickly take out before the dealer trip. I have no experience with splicing either but I can't imagine it's too terribly bad, but then again idk. I just want to do whichever is going to be better for the car. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, I didn't realize the Rev 6 was spliced in, that sounds like it would make it more annoying to quickly take out before the dealer trip. I have no experience with splicing either but I can't imagine it's too terribly bad, but then again idk. I just want to do whichever is going to be better for the car. Thanks for your input!
This was fixed with their newest version, they switched it from using quick taps to just plugging it in the fuse box with a thin wire. I had the version that uses the quick taps and actually modified it and crimped it with a wire that has a gauge size that I can just plug in just like the newest version of the rev6.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was fixed with their newest version, they switched it from using quick taps to just plugging it in the fuse box with a thin wire. I had the version that uses the quick taps and actually modified it and crimped it with a wire that has a gauge size that I can just plug in just like the newest version of the rev6.
Oh, that's awesome, so the newer version just plugs in similar to the GT. That makes a difference in my decision. I just know I didn't want to mess with the ECU or do any splicing for now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, that's awesome, so the newer version just plugs in similar to the GT. That makes a difference in my decision. I just know I didn't want to mess with the ECU or do any splicing for now.
Yeah, you can see how they install it in their tutorial video its all plug n play.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wanting to get some opinions on which you think would be the better option of these two? For reference, I have a 2021 DCT. Just to list some mods that the car will also have: intercooler, catted dp, non resonated mid pipe, CAI, turbo inlet, catch can, BOV. All advice is welcome!

SCORCHER GT Power Module | aFe POWER
vs
Rev6 ECU Piggyback module (sxthelement.com)
Between the two the REV6 is a better unit, with more adjustability and can even be dynamometer tuned. SXTH Element has an additional tune for the REV6 unit. You just have to ask them for it.

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
The Scorcher just plugs into 2 factory sensors and you are done. Yes, there IS way more adjust-ability with the REV 6 but it's a PITA to take out for dealer trips. The Scorcher is just disconnecting two plugs and removing the unit. No splicing... There are 3 additional maps on the Scorcher and they DO work... Def. can tell a difference.... The Scorcher is the easiest plug and play out there IMO. Is it the best? Probably not, but I just want something I can switch on the fly and can feel it. This really fit the bill..... Hope this helps you?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Scorcher just plugs into 2 factory sensors and you are done. Yes, there IS way more adjust-ability with the REV 6 but it's a PITA to take out for dealer trips. The Scorcher is just disconnecting two plugs and removing the unit. No splicing... There are 3 additional maps on the Scorcher and they DO work... Def. can tell a difference.... The Scorcher is the easiest plug and play out there IMO. Is it the best? Probably not, but I just want something I can switch on the fly and can feel it. This really fit the bill..... Hope this helps you?

Best regards,

-Mike
I want to say I read in another discussion on here that you don't want to drive the car in normal/eco with the GT, now idk if that applies to different maps on the GT or just it as a whole (think it also had something to do with the colder HKS plugs you have to run with it). Again I just read this and am not sure if there is any truth to it.

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
Well, you really want accompanying mods to benefit any piggyback you put on there. I only run at the most map 1 until I get a couple more beneficial mods so the car can breath easier. I would not run the red race mode map on the Scorcher if I don't have an inter-cooler, dp, cai, catch can, and colder plugs. After that, you should be just fine. To me, with out those accompanying mods you really have the potential to shorten engine life a bit more.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
Reactions: utspoolup

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW-I run these plugs instead of the HKS. I had the HKS but like these much better. These are still one HR colder.

Br,

-Mike
What benefit do the NGK plugs have over the HKS? Also, I just got the feeling the Rev 6 would be a more reliable product vs the GT giving me the feeling it could possibly damage the car over time. But idk that much about it so you would know more for sure.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would just run whichever one suits you better and just be transparent with the dealer from the get go. If you have catastrophic engine failure, the fact that you removed your tuning unit is definitely not going to stop them from discovering if the car had been tuned. Nor will they likely care unless it's pretty clear that you overdid it and put too much stress on the engine.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would just run whichever one suits you better and just be transparent with the dealer from the get go. If you have catastrophic engine failure, the fact that you removed your tuning unit is definitely not going to stop them from discovering if the car had been tuned. Nor will they likely care unless it's pretty clear that you overdid it and put too much stress on the engine.
I'm actually not that worried about the warranty (while keeping in tact would be nice), I just want to run whichever one is going to perform best but also not be as hard on the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
What benefit do the NGK plugs have over the HKS?
I like the slanted ground strap better on the NGK. It prevents blow out better. The car just runs better with these. I had the HKS in for at least 8k so I gave them a fair shake. I have had the NGK's in for about 1 to 1.5K so far and the car feels the same as to when I installed them. The exhaust seems louder too so I presume the gas is being burnt better...? Hope this helps?

Br,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
I am not saying one is better than the other but I have had the Scorcher in for almost 10K and have had no problems. It's made pretty good. I have no complaints.... Good luck with whatever one you decide on.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am not saying one is better than the other but I have had the Scorcher in for almost 10K and have had no problems. It's made pretty good. I have no complaints.... Good luck with whatever one you decide on.

Br,

-Mike
Thanks for the input Mike!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts