Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per the title
I tried to search the forums for turbo spools and volumes before posting but couldn't find one.

My understanding so far:
3 Ways To Make Your Turbo Louder | Now You Know
  1. Intake
  2. Downpipe (Cat delete)
  3. Tune (Flash or Custom) - Apparently you can increase the boost pressure this way
  4. BOV
A Youtuber's comment from the video referenced above
Carburators Rock
1 year ago (edited)
  1. Remove the silencer ring. (I'll look at the factory service manual for this one if its a thing and if this is even smart to do)
  2. Take off the intake baffle.
  3. Get a huge turbo that blows your engine.
Example 1
Turbo'd my Mom's Car - Her Reaction Was Priceless!
Timestamp linked at 10:22
Adam LZ has 2.9 million subscribers and in this video he turbo'd his mom's car.
She was going slow and accelerating lightly and the spool was VERY audible, more than I ever hear from my VN
Additionally, My VN has never spooled from a slow roll

Example 2
BIG TURBO Hyundai Veloster N Review! The Best Korean Car Ever Made

Timestamp linked at 3:55
This VN from SXTH Element Engineering also has that audible spool sound that I'm looking for, but it turns out they have a bigger turbo upgrade.
I think I'm getting my answer...
Conclusion (my noobie conclusion)​

For my stock VN, it appears to be a struggle to get any boost but I will say I have no other experience or reference with turbos.
Unless i'm flooring it after 3k rpms to get 9 to 10 psi tops, The only other time I see boost is from a very repeatable condition of 2100 rpms to 2400 rpms on an incline with a high torque load from gears 4~6th and only from around 2100 rpm up to 2400 rpm. I dont think this is lugging the engine just yet but basically it appears when there's a high torque load and the rpms are low, I'll see boost go from 0 to 5 psi tops. Once the torque lessens and the RPMs are increasing pass 2.5k+, that 5psi goes back to 0.

People on the forums have questioned the stock turbo psi levels and readings, etc.. Me and another guy here rarely see 10 psi on our VN, lol.
Devil's advocate: If the factory has a 20 psi max on the scale, then maybe the 10 I get is normal?

The Pontiac from example 1 is on point to what I'm going for in regards with sound,response,spool. The SXTH Element Engineering VN is about there as well.

I'll hit the textbooks some day lol :censored:

Turbo Volume Modifiers:
Intake
Downpipe
Tune
Turbo Size

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
A better blow off valve helps too. I have an adjustable one and can set the spring pressure on it. On a firm setting you can get back into the boost quicker. Here are a couple of links to view.

The first link is a good read....

Mach 2 TMS Recirculating Diverter Valve Direct Fitment - GFB Performance turbo tuning products

This is the one I have.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
  • Forge/Takeda intake. Forge/Yames inlet tube.
  • recirc/BoV(ghost knows way more than I do about this).
  • catless downpipe(depo racing/aFe if I'm not mistaken).

Install and profit.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Get a closed in box with a Velossa tech intake snorkel, forge turbo tube adapter, coupled with a high flow down pipe and you'll be just fine. (Best set-up in my opinion)

Hope this helps.

Br,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
A tune will increase the boost the quickest but without accompanying mods it could be risky.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: after installing the SXTH downpipe I can hear the turbo spools from first and second..

I guess that factory downpipe with it's two chunky cats absorb allot of sound

I pressed the clutch in with the SXTH downpipe and instead of a light pop, I now sometimes have the sound of a miniature grenade explosion. (Awesome)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Cold side boost pipe, & FMIC, aFe Turbo Inlet Intake Kit
Intake Manifold and Throttle Body Spacers
BOV Solenoid

Bored OEM Throttle Body
Exhaust

These and what have already been mentioned above are what can be done to help the OEM turbocharger spool quicker, along with a proper tune. Tune is not mandatory but if you wish to take advantage of the bolt on improvements it's what is needed or a really good piggyback tuner, like the SXTH ELEMENT Rev6 Tuner. It's tunable!:)(y)

·
Registered
32 Posts
A metal intake rather than plastic (that sometimes come with sound dampers in them) will get more sound out for you to hear, if that is what you are after.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts