Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So during my last few autocross events there has been a pretty tight hairpin turn as part of the course. I noticed that when I accelerate hard enough out of it I sometimes get a rubbing noise on my inside tire. Since this only occurs in a very specific scenario that doesn't occur often I wasn't too concerned. What I learned today is that the inside tire is rubbing on my rear damper (picture of rub mark attached).

So this is certainly occuring because of my rear sway bar causing the inside tire to lift and the increased camber I have is making it rub. I know there are a few ways I could go about fixing it but since it happens to infrequently do I even need to worry about it?

Along with that, has anyone else noticed this occuring? And do I need to worry about damaging anything other than a tire with this?

Specific specs are whiteline 22mm bar on soft setting and 2° camber in the rear with 55mm offset wheels and 235/35 tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
250 Posts
I don't think it will damage anything other than the tire. You will need a lower offset wheel. What tire are you running

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now I am running Federal 595 RS Pros in 235/35/19, but once these are gone I plan to switch to Falken RT660s in 235/40/18. My 18" wheels also have a 55mm offset though so I don't think that will change anything

·
Registered
110 Posts
I believe the Federals run wider than the actual size so that's where the extra width tire comes from. There's also the fact that you're running -2 degrees which probably adds to the rubbing.

Under compression, the top of the tire actually gets pushed away from the shocks so the rubbing is probably occurring while the inside rear wheel is up in the air.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the Federals run wider than the actual size so that's where the extra width tire comes from. There's also the fact that you're running -2 degrees which probably adds to the rubbing.

Under compression, the top of the tire actually gets pushed away from the shocks so the rubbing is probably occurring while the inside rear wheel is up in the air.
Yeah this is definitely what is happening. An easy enough fix would be to reduce the camber I have in the back, but I am also curious if anyone else has had this happen and to hear other people's thoughts on it

·
Registered
38 Posts
He did say inside tire which would be completely unloaded (other than the sway bar transfer) and at minimum negative camber but just prior to lift off, and upon returning to the ground, the top of that inside tire would be pushed in towards the strut. And since scrub radius isn't a concern on the rear you could put in a 5mm spacer if the new tires still rub.

If it's happening only on the inside I wager it's not the sway bar causing it. The outside would be at greater negative camber but experiencing some wheel deflection providing extra strut clearance. Personally I'd be more concerned about the wheels distorting than the tire rubbing. I had room for a nickel between the old pzeroes and my front struts at -2.5* and they never rubbed, inside or out. The nitto NT05s provide a lot more clearance since they don't have rim protector bars.

I also noticed that's the plastic shroud for the piston not the metal housing...if that's the case no worries at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you think one of my wheels may be messed up? Or just that the cornering forces are causing them to flex? They are the OE wheels so idk how strong they are or aren't, but nothing looked visibly warped when I rotated them today

·
Registered
38 Posts
So you think one of my wheels may be messed up? Or just that the cornering forces are causing them to flex? They are the OE wheels so idk how strong they are or aren't, but nothing looked visibly warped when I rotated them today
The latter, not the former. I was somewhat suspecting deflection, not a bend or damage. But now knowing it's the robust OEM wheels I'm less so cuz those pigs stout! You inspect for true with a straight edge and closer visual inspection. I'm honestly skeptical the wheels distort at all during load as there still haven't been reports of calipers getting hit and with 55mm offset they're close, too!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So a little more info if it helps. From the top inside corner of my rear tires, I have roughly 5/8" space to the damper when the suspension is weighted. But when I unload one back corner with a jack the inside metal lip of the wheel is super close to the damper. There is barely 1/4" space then, but it isn't the tire that is close it's the wheel since it sticks out past the rubber.

Also the tires I have are 9.4" wide, so about 3mm wider than the advertised 235mm.

Could it be the weights used for balancing on the back lip of the wheel are what is causing the rubbing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts