Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hooning around today and the air temp was just above freezing and took a corner sharply and the back end came around, until the stability control kicked in.
I didn't know this car could be so playful.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
430 Posts
I was hooning around today and the air temp was just above freezing and took a corner sharply and the back end came around, until the stability control kicked in.
I didn't know this car could be so playful.
Do you have the P Zero tires? I don't drive my N below 40 degrees F. It was just below freezing this morning so I took my Gen Coupe into work. I still have the all-seasons on it. Over Thanksgiving weekend I will probably throw on the winter tires depending on the temperature trends. The N will be prepared for its winter hibernation.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the P Zero tires? I don't drive my N below 40 degrees F. It was just below freezing this morning so I took my Gen Coupe into work. I still have the all-seasons on it. Over Thanksgiving weekend I will probably throw on the winter tires depending on the temperature trends. The N will be prepared for its winter hibernation.
Yes P Zero's.
They are not like the tires on the Type R which can damage in cold weather.
Was fun sliding the car around.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes P Zero's.
Was fun sliding the car around.
This can be damaged in the cold. They're still high performance summer tires.

But yeah, the back end is lively, even more so with a rear bar and higher tire pressures in the rear.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pretty sure Pirelli explicitly states NOT to run these tires below 45F.
Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It was 47 degrees late this afternoon when I left the office. My tires did the "chirp / slide" bit as I was leaving my parking space. A friend of mine with a Porsche warned me about this with the P Zero tires. They needed to warm up a bit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It was 47 degrees late this afternoon when I left the office. My tires did the "chirp / slide" bit as I was leaving my parking space. A friend of mine with a Porsche warned me about this with the P Zero tires. They needed to warm up a bit.
That's actually a combination of LSD and cold tires. But yea, high performance summer tires in general do not like to be driven near or below 40F.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's actually a combination of LSD and cold tires. But yea, high performance summer tires in general do not like to be driven near or below 40F.
I don't believe driving them below 40F will do damage to the tires like it would to specific "R compound" very soft tires.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't believe driving them below 40F will do damage to the tires like it would to specific "R compound" very soft tires.
"If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks. "

Driving summer tires below 40f is not only dangerous (and dumb), but you will destroy the rubber as the tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic.

·
Registered
430 Posts
From the Pirelli warranty brochure:

4. UHP Summer Tires

The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below 45° F or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F, UHP summer tires are not recommended for lower temperature conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts