Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past weekend was the RVD6 Veloster meet. I had to duck out early and drove home last night. It was a great time! I felt a little out of place there with my car being so stock for the moment. There were a ton of great builds there and some nice N's. There were a couple widebody N's which were great looking. That was my first time on the Tail of the Dragon also and I must say I understand how the road gets both a great driving experience if you don't have traffic and then it can also be just boring if you get stuck behind SUV's or Harley's. I'm on the fence about this, in one regard, it doesn't hurt that much to pull over on the many pull offs and let the rowdy kids go by you and then on the other end yes, we should take it to a track but that road is an experience that you can't have going 20 mph.

As far as how the Veloster N did, it was fantastic! I have read quite a bit of how people were saying how the stock Pirelli Pzero's are garbage and up until this past weekend I thought they were fine. If you want to push cornering speeds the Pzero's start to lose grip pretty fast once some heat gets in them. Once I burn through these I will either go PS4S or try something I had on my Stinger in the past. Besides the tires being the limiting factor the car was quick around those turns! I have a JB4 I run on Map 1 and an OCC, besides that I am stock. I also discovered the fun of liftoff oversteer which I haven't had a chance to experience yet as there aren't that many tight corners around where I live. I had 2 solid runs when I was in smaller groups, I had a run early late Friday where I was leading 2 other N's and we were definitely making some good speed through those roads then the following morning, 2 different N's where I was trailing and we ended up taking an alternate route back to the Lodge that had a empty but more narrow road with a very nice corkscrew left-right-left-right-left slalom road which was a blast.

I left with someone in a Gen 1 Turbo from Raleigh, NC where we met a big group in Charlotte. We left Charlotte with about 15 Velosters including the 2 Sxth Element cars (so much carbon fiber). We drove up as a convoy until about Asheville where a few broke off to get gas/booze/food. It was a great weekend and I plan on going back next year even a day or 2 early to get less traffic on the dragon. They had some cool events, raffles and of course the runs down 129. I'll try to add some pictures later.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My car is the black one there, it's filthy, this is after about 4 runs up and down the dragon and about 5000 dead bugs on the front of the car. This was us trying to fit all the Velosters in around Fontana Dam, unfortunately we got there right as the dam employees were getting off so we only had like 30 minutes there before we had to leave. The last blue Gen 1 was who I drove the 7 hours from Raleigh to Fontana Dam.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT Red/Black
35 Posts
Great pics! Sorry I missed this event, as it looks like it was a blast! I live in Metro Atlanta now, but grew up in Raleigh. I graduated from Millbrook High School in '86 (yes, I'm now an old fart! :)). My parents live near Wake Forest off Durant Rd. and we go to see them often. I've done the Dragon before several times and enjoy driving it - especially when there's fewer people and less traffic. That road attracts a lot of idiots on bikes who think they're indestructible & immortal.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Looks like a nice time, I love going up there. Some of the most fun roads I've ever been on.

I did see that there were some people crossing the double yellows, thats a biiiiiig no no. Always have a good time and be safe, don't drive like a fool.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a nice time, I love going up there. Some of the most fun roads I've ever been on.

I did see that there were some people crossing the double yellows, thats a biiiiiig no no. Always have a good time and be safe, don't drive like a fool.
Yeah, for the most part the groups I was driving with stayed in our lanes but when you get that many people together you are bound to have people that just don't get it. I was ripping around there safely and managed to easily stay in my lane.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was there as well, my second year. We drove down from Illinois on Wednesday and stayed in Knoxville. Discovered a bubble in my Pirelli sidewall that night so Thursday morning I was at discount tire for a few hours getting a full set of new PS4 Michelins. That afternoon we drove the Cherohowa skyway which is amazing. We stopped and hiked some there and checked out one of the waterfalls. Then Friday we went horseback riding in the morning and drove the tail in the afternoon when there was hardly any traffic. It was awesome, my wife was really getting into it this year and was getting mad when slower cars or bikes would not pull off and let us pass. Last year she was asking me to slow down LOL. My eight year old daughter was with us as well and she loved it. My wife actually asked to drive on the river road and said that she wants to practice so she can drive a pass of the dragon next year. They both also enjoyed the glow show as no one in the area where we live has anything like that on their cars.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Cloud
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT Red/Black
35 Posts
I was there as well, my second year. We drove down from Illinois on Wednesday and stayed in Knoxville. Discovered a bubble in my Pirelli sidewall that night so Thursday morning I was at discount tire for a few hours getting a full set of new PS4 Michelins. That afternoon we drove the Cherohowa skyway which is amazing. We stopped and hiked some there and checked out one of the waterfalls. Then Friday we went horseback riding in the morning and drove the tail in the afternoon when there was hardly any traffic. It was awesome, my wife was really getting into it this year and was getting mad when slower cars or bikes would not pull off and let us pass. Last year she was asking me to slow down LOL. My eight year old daughter was with us as well and she loved it. My wife actually asked to drive on the river road and said that she wants to practice so she can drive a pass of the dragon next year. They both also enjoyed the glow show as no one in the area where we live has anything like that on their cars. View attachment 6917 View attachment 6911 View attachment 6912 View attachment 6913 View attachment 6914 View attachment 6915 View attachment 6916
Awesome! I can see I'm going to have to go next year. Looks like a great chance to enjoy some driving and meet more folks in the community. I've spent quite a bit of time up there, and my wife and I got married in Townsend, TN back in '96. Beautiful country and landscapes up there. Glad you enjoyed it! Also, quick question about your new PS4's... I've read some reviews that they make a bit of road noise. Have you noticed a difference from the Pirelli's?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Awesome! I can see I'm going to have to go next year. Looks like a great chance to enjoy some driving and meet more folks in the community. I've spent quite a bit of time up there, and my wife and I got married in Townsend, TN back in '96. Beautiful country and landscapes up there. Glad you enjoyed it! Also, quick question about your new PS4's... I've read some reviews that they make a bit of road noise. Have you noticed a difference from the Pirelli's?
I would not say the PS4 is noisier than the P Zero. I feel like on I65 coming home the grooved concrete was quieter with the PS4, however I noticed the car wanted to track funny on the grooves a couple of times. On the other roads I feel like the noise was similar?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts