Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I just bought a '22 this weekend (yay!). I don't know how to drive stick yet, but my partner (who does know stick) says he can't get the N to move in 1st by just lifting off the clutch; he has to give it some gas too. As in, he can't just roll forward in stop-and-go traffic without the gas like he used to do in his Mazda 3.

Is this an issue, or is this just because the car is so new and hasn't been through the break-in period yet? He also says the bite point is much lower than in the 3, so maybe he just needs to get used to the clutch on the N?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That sounds normal and it may take some time to get used to. Manual performance cars generally have a more "grabby" clutch and are easier to stall than lower powered cars. When in stop and go traffic, I try to give plenty of space in the car in front of me to avoid having to stop and push the clutch in. There may be situations where you have to feather the clutch if you are trying to creep forward slowly, but it's best to keep the clutch either fully engaged or disengaged.

I've been driving manual for 20 years, and this is my third manual car. My first was a '95 Ford Probe GT, then an '06 Civic Si that I put of 200k miles on each. I can't speak for the Mazda 3, but in every manual car I've driven you cannot simply let out the clutch in first without giving some throttle. The VN has a very light clutch feel, but it engages early and should require some throttle to make it move.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That sounds normal and it may take some time to get used to. Manual performance cars generally have a more "grabby" clutch and are easier to stall than lower powered cars. When in stop and go traffic, I try to give plenty of space in the car in front of me to avoid having to stop and push the clutch in. There may be situations where you have to feather the clutch if you are trying to creep forward slowly, but it's best to keep the clutch either fully engaged or disengaged.

I've been driving manual for 20 years, and this is my third manual car. My first was a '95 Ford Probe GT, then an '06 Civic Si that I put of 200k miles on each. I can't speak for the Mazda 3, but in every manual car I've driven you cannot simply let out the clutch in first without giving some throttle. The VN has a very light clutch feel, but it engages early and should require some throttle to make it move.
I can definitely creep by holding at the bite point without giving it gas. I really never do that in actual driving situations, but I've checked a couple times when I was first getting used to the bite point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can definitely creep by holding at the bite point without giving it gas. I really never do that in actual driving situations, but I've checked a couple times when I was first getting used to the bite point.
As I said you can feather it and get it to creep a little, but I would avoid doing that in stop and go traffic like OP mentioned.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
You’ll never get the car to roll like a DCT or automatic by just lifting off the clutch. Holding the clutch at its engagement point without some throttle application, is not good for the transmission or engine.

It will cause premature wear of the clutch plates and throw out bearing. Cause excessive strain the motor from lugging.

In fact, it’s not good for the clutch or tranny. Some throttle application is always required.😃👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmm... I started driving a manual (5 Spd Toyota Tacoma Single Cab) way back in '03 and I have had 3 or 4 MTs since and I have never even attempted to let off the clutch without giving it a little gas at least. I just assumed it would stall every time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I have been driving manuals (I learned to drive on a three on a tree) for about 60 years, and other than a few cars that had fast idle issues (this is something most modern cars rarely suffer from), I have never seen a car that was running correctly be able to move forward in gear without any throttle input.

·
Registered
2022 DCT VN, 2005 Honda S2000
101 Posts
So i'm going to be the odd one here.

Every single Manual car i've ever owned has been able to creep forward by just lifting on the clutch a little.
The list includes:
1985 Honda Prelude
1995 Honda Civic
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
2013 Ford Fiesta
2016 Subaru BRZ
2016 Fiesta ST
2017 Focus ST
2004 Honda S2000
2005 Honda S2000
2004 Subaru WRX
2020 BMW M2 Competition

The difference between each car has generally been the bite point, however being able to slightly creep forward without any throttle has always been possible and is something i used to do all the time in CA SF Bay Area traffic.

One other important thing to note, this creep forward thing, was always significantly easier with RWD cars so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I almost never did it with any of the FWD cars because it seemed to never work really well. With my last two MT cars (2005 S2k, 2020 M2) it was the easiest with the BRZ being the hardest of the 3. The WRX had no issues either.

That being said, i do recall reading on this forum, someone talking about this exact thing on this car.

·
Registered
2022 Veloster N with PP
3 Posts
I got a 22 6mt as well, and I could move the car in 1st but it's so slight and dependent on the angle of the road. Normally you'll stall out. As other had posted, I advise giving the car in front of you some space, then letting off the clutch to the bite point and apply slight throttle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its all in the gearing. My BMW Z3 is really low geared in 1st and will easily engage and roll forward with no throttle. The N seems a bit higher geared to me in 1st and like said above, it can do it on flat ground but probably best to just feather it a little and move forward or give distance and then proceed. I personally have not even noticed this as an issue but I have driven a lot of manuals in my time and they all have their own personality depending on the gearbox.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all! Now that I'm actually driving the thing myself I can phrase the question better. I should have said: "Can you slowly creep in first gear without gas?" Maybe you would do this in a parking lot, getting into your garage, parallel parking, or Bay Area traffic.

Turns out the car creeps significantly better in sport mode, and is seemingly doing it better now in normal mode too. Perhaps it was just too new from the factory (we got it with 40 miles or something). Now we're past the 600 mile mark. We also noticed reverse is peppy regardless of mode. I also read every car is different due to ECU variations.

Btw, I'm finally getting the hang of how to drive stick and actually having some fun now, although maneuvering slowly (like parallel parking) seems to be a lot harder than going fast!

Thanks for helping out a N-oob! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks all! Now that I'm actually driving the thing myself I can phrase the question better. I should have said: "Can you slowly creep in first gear without gas?" Maybe you would do this in a parking lot, getting into your garage, parallel parking, or Bay Area traffic.

Turns out the car creeps significantly better in sport mode, and is seemingly doing it better now in normal mode too. Perhaps it was just too new from the factory (we got it with 40 miles or something). Now we're past the 600 mile mark. We also noticed reverse is peppy regardless of mode. I also read every car is different due to ECU variations.

Btw, I'm finally getting the hang of how to drive stick and actually having some fun now, although maneuvering slowly (like parallel parking) seems to be a lot harder than going fast!

Thanks for helping out a N-oob! lol
I started paying more attention to the "forward creep ability" when you brought it up and I agree, it is way easier in Sport/N mode. I guess I really never payed it much attention since I have always had a MT around.
Sounds like you are getting the hang of it very well! Keep up the great progress and have fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts