Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Psssh

8K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  A7xogg 
#1 ·
Hi, I just picked up my 2020 base N and I have one question. A few years ago I had a GenCoupe (loved that car!) and there was a super easy mod you could do. You removed the BOV recirc tube and capped off where it went into the air intake. Maybe 10 min mod that was easy to put back to stock.

Can I do this to the N? Performance notwithstanding, is it possible and will it trip a CEL or effect fuel trims?

#3 ·
Unless the 2020 model is different than the 2019 it should not cause any issues. Sxth Engineering's cold air intake actually does not come with the re-circulation port on the intake and they state that leaving the re-circulation valve open to atmosphere is not a problem.

#4 ·
So it's just like on my old GC. But I've read that it isn't loud enough to bother with. I can't find a YouTube video of a VN with this mod either. Does anyone have personal experience?

#5 · (Edited)
Do as you like but it doesn't work. The SXTH element intake as well as others are designed to be utilized with aftermarket vent to air BOV's There are recirculating aftermarket BOV's as well from; GFB, Turbosmart, Forge etc., which are designed to maintain boost control and pressure.

Removing the hose, not plugging the intake tube connection will cause boost leak, slow spooling, inconsistent timing, excess smoke from the exhaust, poor fuel economy. Even with the intake tube plugged, the OEM diverter valve free to vent to atmosphere, the engine will have difficulty maintaining boost & boost control, as it was designed to be recirculating.

Also you're going to increase turbo flutter, which is bad for the turbo and will drastically shorten its life. So, for the sake of a little noise you're going to hurt performance and damage the turbo turbo.:confused: Why anyone would purposely want to do this, is beyond me.:rolleyes: Not a very wise thing to do especially on a new car IMHO.

However, it's your car and money being thrown away and no one here or anywhere else, is going to come to your rescue.:wink:

Please post for us what you've said, SXTH Element has stated, "that leaving the recirculation valve open to atmosphere is not a problem." If SXTH Element has stated this, then it's all the more reason to stay away from them as an aftermarket dealer.

Please, keep in mind,posting such comments and not being able to quote the actual comment, is creating a false impression for SXTH Element. Eithway it's not good!

#6 ·
Correct the factory diverter valve makes little to no noise when vented to atmosphere. If you want the pssh sound, recommend swapping that out.

I had installed the cold air intake with no problems but only ran the factory diverter valve open about a week. I've always like Tial blowoff valves and installed one, sounds great.

Actually spoke to Sxth Engineering on the phone and going by their expertise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.